Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I tried Tailwind for the first time this weekend. I was only doing 16km and wouldn't normally take anything on that distance, and obviously I still don't know if it would give me energy 2/3 hours into a run, but figured I would bring a bottle just to test it out the taste and see if it had any immediate reactions.

I am undecided on it to be honest, and a lot of it is the practical side of things. I hated having to carry a litre bottle right from the start and I still can't see how it would work in the marathon itself. Unless you wear a hydration pack, which I don't want to do, how can I actually get a tailwind mix into me during the race? If I remember correctly the water stops had little 300 ml bottles of water in 2016, so do I have to stop and measure powder into the bottles during the race? What happens if they have paper cups instead? What about later in the marathon when water stops are thin on the ground?

Unless I am missing something obvious here I think I might prefer to carry my own gels and food than carry my own water for a full marathon.

There is a discussion on this in the sub 4 thread which might answer your questions. They are discussing packing the powder into straws. I’m pretty sure it will be 250 ml bottles in DCM just like last year. They have signed up with Celtic Pure (think that’s the name of the company) to sponsor their water this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I tried Tailwind for the first time this weekend. I was only doing 16km and wouldn't normally take anything on that distance, and obviously I still don't know if it would give me energy 2/3 hours into a run, but figured I would bring a bottle just to test it out the taste and see if it had any immediate reactions.

I am undecided on it to be honest, and a lot of it is the practical side of things. I hated having to carry a litre bottle right from the start and I still can't see how it would work in the marathon itself. Unless you wear a hydration pack, which I don't want to do, how can I actually get a tailwind mix into me during the race? If I remember correctly the water stops had little 300 ml bottles of water in 2016, so do I have to stop and measure powder into the bottles during the race? What happens if they have paper cups instead? What about later in the marathon when water stops are thin on the ground?

Unless I am missing something obvious here I think I might prefer to carry my own gels and food than carry my own water for a full marathon.

I have started to carry it it in concentrated form. So for the 20m this week I will put 2 satchets into my 300ml bottle of water and my other bottle will just be water. Take a sip, wash it down kinda thing. I will probably have some more water on the route too. I use 1 satchet for a half and use it the same way.
    The marathon will have bottles at water stations so i might double up on the concentrated form, using it in 2 bottles instead of one, depends on how LSR goes this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

FD10 was good today. I found it very humid for the first 8miles lol. My mate and I did a nice easy warm up before hand, a couple of miles. Paced pretty well , legs felt good. Got a stitch and caught up in a drag for a while which slowed us and then finished really strongly. I thought the course was nice, forgot I was in Dublin for a lot of it! Very busy once we finished, for water etc. Nice t shirt!! Pleased with my time but moreso with how I finished, easy recovery run tomorrow with my dog. Planning 18/20m on thursday, its either that or tues so figure the later the better. Will see how it goes.
    I have managed 18 already but then had to take 2 weeks off for personal reasons so just coming back again now in the last couple of weeks. Strength training back in force too.
    Bath tonight and maybe an non alcoholic beer. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done to all who completed the 10 miler today. Sounds like it was a good race for most.

18 mile LSR for me today, the farthest I've ever ran. Tough going for large portions of the second half of it, but managed to see it through.

Also, I've discovered fly-by on Strava. Spent a good hour on it earlier sussing out potential routes. Great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Congrats to all who did the 10miler. Some great times and pb's achieved. For anyone whos been having a tough week, it will pass. Had a tough week myself as feeling quite exhausted and felt like I was about to come down with a cold. I did no long run last weekend, only shortish 7 milers and then did nothing at all for the rest of the week, just focused on getting rest. On Saturday I did a Park run as support for my other half's very first one and damn he was faster than he or I expected and gave me a decent workout! Helping him achieve his goal made me want to achieve mine even more.

So I made sure to do my long run today and set out this evening for a 16m lSR as I had missed it last week. I concentrated on trying to keeping the pace just below 11mins per mile, which I mostly did. I ate a croissant and High 5 gel and both went down ok. Hard to chew and breathe at the same time! The run was tough but felt good for most of it so pretty happy. I ended up doing 16.5 miles in 3 hrs 20 mins. Most of it was on trails and grass so hopefully running on roads will feel a good bit easier. Looking forward now to the Ratoath Half Marathon next Sat and finally finding out what my PMP will be rather than pure guessing. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    Congratulations to those of you who ran the Frank Duffy 10m race! It sounds like most of you had a good day out and did very well at achieving PBs or completing target sessions.

smeal sorry to hear your long run didn’t go so well. It sounds like you may have hit a wall. Do you think you were going a little fast in the early miles? I’m not sure if it will help but one thing i try and do to keep the calves loose is to kick my bums for about 10 kicks - i do this every 4-5 miles just to loosen them out. We will all have a bad run occasionally though for no obvious reason, hopefully next week will be better.

Week 11

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|8m easy|4m easy|rest|16m lsr|rest
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|20m lsr|3m rec

This week brings the first official 20 miler! I know some of you have already achieved this distance and well done on that. It’s a real milestone to tick this run off the list. Don’t be afraid of it, you are all well prepared having run 16-18 miles already. If it gets tough just keep telling yourself how good you will feel when it’s done and when you get to report back here ;)

For those who raced FD this weekend please take extra care in your runs in the early part of this week - you are still recovering so please keep a close check on your paces, you may need to run slower than your usual easy pace or even reduce the distance a little, listen to your body guys and recover well!

If you haven't already then please use this week's long run to practice fueling on the run, carry some water with you also or arrange to have some left out at 2-3 stops along your route. As 20m is your longest long run it's also a good run to practice wearing your race day outfit, we wouldn't want you to have any issues with chaffing on the big day :eek:

Best of luck with this week's running :)

Thanks Ariana. I'm running in the Ratoath half marathon on Saturday. Is there any part of this week's training I need to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Really enjoyed the FD10m yesterday. Also found it very hot. Really struggle with PMP at start and went off too fast, eventually pulled it back around the 2m mark

As I was sick and injured few weeks ago I'm somewhat playing catch up, but in a sensible way. This week coming is 13m, then each following weekend I'll add on 2m onto the LSRs

Legs are holding up well so fingers crossed

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks Ariana. I'm running in the Ratoath half marathon on Saturday. Is there any part of this week's training I need to change?

Are you racing it or will it be a LSR? Do you plan on doing another half, or is this "the one"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Could you not loop your LSR so it cuts out having to go through this routine, just make up whatever you need and stash them along your route. With regards to getting them into you on marathon day, thats what mates are for.Have them the scattered around the point that you want them at with whatever drink you made up with a gel elasticated to it. There's enough water stations around the course wthout having to carry gallons of water on your hip for 26 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I have started to carry it it in concentrated form. So for the 20m this week I will put 2 satchets into my 300ml bottle of water and my other bottle will just be water. Take a sip, wash it down kinda thing. I will probably have some more water on the route too. I use 1 satchet for a half and use it the same way.
    The marathon will have bottles at water stations so i might double up on the concentrated form, using it in 2 bottles instead of one, depends on how LSR goes this week.

Yeah, the TW website suggests the following:

"For a road marathon, which for me is c.4 hrs, to avoid having to mix mid-race I put 4 stickpacks in a 500ml bottle I keep in my waistband.

This is a very strong mix which I take a mouthful of before each water station and then wash down with water to meet thirst." https://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/faqs.html

I think I'd struggle to take the recommended amount of water on board, personally.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Are you racing it or will it be a LSR? Do you plan on doing another half, or is this "the one"?

I'm going all out on this one. Well, when I say 'all out', I mean I have a target time in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Are you planning to race it or treat it as an LSR/Session?

If you're racing it or doing a PMP session you could do Wednesday's run at an easy pace. Skip Thursday's 4m easy run - take a rest day. And on Friday do a very short run (2-3 miles) very easy with a few (4 max) strides just to loosen out.

If you're treating it as an LSR then do the week as per the plan.

I'm going all out on this one. Well, when I say 'all out', I mean I have a target time in mind.

Well if this is the one, then I'd follow a mini-taper like Week 13 of the Boards plan.
    That's what I done for my half last weekend anyway.
    I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable though.

Ok I just saw this after i replied. So same advice as above but in addition you can reduce the distance on Wednesday's run. You can judge yourself how you're feeling on Wednesday, maybe do 5-6 miles easy, Thurs rest and Friday a little 2-3 mile loosener.

Best of luck with the HM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Glad to hear that other people thought that yesterday was warm/humid. I was knackered after running in that heat yesterday, a nice glass of freezing cold chocolate milk was on my mind for the last 30 minutes of my run!!

I did a 27K (17M) LSR yesterday on a new route which brought me down the Naas Road and the Canal to Dolphins Barn and Kilmainham which took in some of the DCM route, the main reason being that it was going to be a bit tougher than my normal LSR route as the second half was running back up to Kingswood :rolleyes:.

RayCun gave me 'extra homework' this week on another thread and so far so good, the auld injuries (Achilles/right knee/right ankle) are behaving themselves, so fingers crossed I get though the next 4-5 weeks unscathed.

We are nearly there Novices, eyes on the prize, you will be marathon runners in 8 weeks time, these next few weeks of final prep will be tough but totally worth in on DCM day....

Well done to anyone that did the FD 10 Miler, tough enough conditions for a race, good stuff!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Delighted with my time for FD10 yesterday, was hoping for under 1:30, managed 1:28:55, so I'm thrilled! New PB by over 6 minutes (tho admittedly it was my first 10 mile race in 2 years). I'll put together a race report soon.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Consider going out a bit slower than race pace and picking it up to a full on race effort if you feel good or throttle back to an easier effort if you still feel run down. There is a big difference between missing a couple of weeks and a couple of runs. If anything you have inadvertently given yourself a mini taper and will be in the finest fettle possible come 9.30am on Sunday.

This advice was spot on, skyblue, thanks a million for that! First mile was bang on my goal pace (9 min/mile) and I was feeling grand so stuck with that throughout, and was able to finish with a bit of a kick.

Sorry I didn't get to meet anyone tho, I was later than intended arriving and had to scarper pretty quickly after. (I really should check this thread during weekend!)

As a suggestion tho, myself and a friend are planning on doing some of the DCM course on Saturday week, as part of the 16m LSR planned for then. If anyone wants to join us, yer more than welcome. We'll be trotting around at around 10:50 - 11 min/mile pace (I think that's ~6:50 / km).

And if anyone else who's quicker wants come say hello at the start before we see ye vanish off into the distance (or even organise a group of yer own), that'd be cool too.

I'd also like to add the thanks to Skyblue for the advice on how to run the FD10 yesterday as I wasn't racing it ( last 2k I may have :ermm: ) pretty much nailed the 5 min k advice. Thought I might struggle as from the 1st K in the beads of sweat was rolling down my face. Found the race comfortable as there wasn't much pressure as I wasn't racing it so enjoyed it more than I may of should of.
    Sorry I didn't get to say hello to anyone yesterday, arrived late and I had to scoot off straight away to get home and don the Dublin jersey in Devitts in time for four in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Does anyone have a link to what the 2018 DCM t shirt looks like? I could not find it online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Does anyone have a link to what the 2018 DCM t shirt looks like? I could not find it online :)

I think its usually a long sleeve zip top rather than a t shirt

I don't know if they release it? I don't remember seeing last year's before we got it at the finish line!
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I think its usually a long sleeve zip top rather than a t shirt

Yeah, good quality too. Last year's had a half zip. Really nice top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

They dont release it, it is a surprise on the day :D

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

They dont release it, it is a surprise on the day :D
    Yeah don't spoil the surprise for us :) The pints afterwards are more important than any bit of " bling "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

also looking forward to a nice pint of Guinness at the end I must admit :)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    There is a discussion on this in the sub 4 thread which might answer your questions. They are discussing packing the powder into straws. I’m pretty sure it will be 250 ml bottles in DCM just like last year. They have signed up with Celtic Pure (think that’s the name of the company) to sponsor their water this year.

It was actually the Marathon Improvers Thread has the tailwind discussion. I should have checked before posting, sorry.

Heuston, we have a problem.

Turns out I will not have my new running shoes in time for the half marathon on Saturday. This means I'll be racing in 9 month-old running shoes.......:(

ARGH.

Turns out I will not have my new running shoes in time for the half marathon on Saturday. This means I'll be racing in 9 month-old running shoes.......:(

ARGH.
    Probably a good thing Coogy, a race wouldn’t be the best place to try out a new pair of running shoes.
    Break them in gradually

ARGH.

Prob better not to race in new shoes anyway so maybe a blessing in disguise.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Prob better not to race in new shoes anyway so maybe a blessing in disguise.

Yeah, you're right. Still....annoying though.

"Should be in tomorrow" (repeat ad nauseam)

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Probably a good thing Coogy, a race wouldn’t be the best place to try out a new pair of running shoes.
    Break them in gradually

Yes, agreed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Can I ask for some pacing advice?

After a slow FD 10 mile yesterday, I am (naturally) second guessing my pacing. I feel like I am going backwards. I was 15 seconds a kilometer slower than during the DCM half last year. If I wasn't running with Huzzah!, without a doubt I would have been even slower.

My easy & LSR pacing have been at the slower end of the scales. I'm wondering if I should plough on as I have been, or adapt times based on yesterday?

What I am really wondering is am I running too slow altogether? Or am I just having the usual mid-plan crisis :)

These are my last races:

40652253_10214483363312364_6606280654734753792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=efe68acb97f6c4f617c841aee64c6f0e&oe=5C260FEA

Advertisement