Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Bit of a dilemma for Saturday's half marathon in Ratoath. Aiming for a time of 1:45 but unsure whether to:

• set off with the 1:40 pacer and not worry too much if I'm struggling a little with the pace, but within reach of the group.
    • set off with the 1:50 pacer and break free from the group a few miles from the end to make it over the line for what will hopefully be as close to my target time as possible?
    • just run the damn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

coogy wrote: »
    Bit of a dilemma for Saturday's half marathon in Ratoath. Aiming for a time of 1:45 but unsure whether to:

• set off with the 1:40 pacer and not worry too much if I'm struggling a little with the pace, but within reach of the group.
    • set off with the 1:50 pacer and break free from the group a few miles from the end to make it over the line for what will hopefully be as close to my target time as possible?

Pace it yourself, 1:45 is a dream on the mental maths for pacing. 8 times tables all the way!
    If you go with the 1:40, a good bit faster on the pace front and if it's too fast for you you risk burning up missing out if you really want that time. Go for the 1:50 and that's too slow if you hang about there too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Go at it yourself, your in good shape so why rely on someone else. It will be good for you mentally come October

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I'm doing this race too and I'm having the same dilemma - Aiming in around 1.45 (really wish there was a 1.45 pacer!).

I'm no expert - but reckon starting with 1.50 pacer might leave you with too much ground to make up - you'd need to start pushing on very early in the race?? My own thoughts are to head out and aim for around 8 minute miles ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Hard to know what way to go there, but at least if you decide to just run it on your own, a 1:45 Half is easy for the inevitable mental arithmetic along the way. Essentially 8 minute miles all the way.

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    Pace it yourself, 1:45 is a dream on the mental maths for pacing. 8 times tables all the way!
    If you go with the 1:40, a good bit faster on the pace front and if it's too fast for you you risk burning up missing out if you really want that time. Go for the 1:50 and that's too slow if you hang about there too long.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards, definitely the sensible option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I wasn’t going to post but someone might learn from my stupidity :(
    I raced FD10 even tho I had planned on doing it as my LSR. Racing has a bad effect on me, it takes me ages to recover, but I figured what’s 10 miles at this point when I was fine after doing 18 last weekend!
    I felt fine after the race, and fine for most of yesterday. I went to the gym on my lunch hour for a weight session, then decided to go for my easy run straight from work as some of the girls were going out then. I only had a salad for lunch, so grabbed a bar from the vending machine and headed out.

After a mile I started to get dizzy. I thought I’d run it off so kept going - another half mile or so in I was shaking and sweating profusely. I had to stop and sit down. In the end I had to get a lift back to my car I was in such a state!
    I rang my other half (who is a nutritionist) who said it sounded like my blood sugar was spiking and to get a banana, a chocolate protein milk and a breakfast bar into me to stabilise.
    After a while I felt well enough to drive home. I feel ok today but gonna wait to do a test 4 mile run tomorrow to let the glycogen stores go back up.

I’m supposed to be doing my 20 mile run on Thursday, I’ll have to see how tomorrow’s run goes, I got a bit of a scare but looking back it’s my own fault for not refuelling properly after the race.

:eek: but could happen to any of us. At least today's run went well. Still planning on 20 miles tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Having accomplished this a few weeks ago in Tullamore, I thought I’d share my strategy. What I did was start close to the 1:45 pacers (of which there were three groups on the day). I shadowed the third of the pacers for almost the first half. I stayed consistent throughout, avoiding pushing too hard when the pacers rubberbanded. Second half I pushed out ahead of the pacer group and then slowly caught up with the middle pacer.

I personally kept my pace per KM either +\- 20 seconds of my target. I found it easier to stay close be adjust depending on how I felt with each stage of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

juke wrote: »
    :eek: but could happen to any of us. At least today's run went well. Still planning on 20 miles tomorrow?

I’m hoping I’ll still be able to do it. I might push it back until Friday, I’ll decide tomorrow. Mentally I’m still a bit freaked out by what happened, but I’m currently working my way thru a bucket of pasta so I’ll be well fueled - at this rate I’ll be rolling the route instead of running it :)

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    I'm doing this race too and I'm having the same dilemma - Aiming in around 1.45 (really wish there was a 1.45 pacer!).

I'm no expert - but reckon starting with 1.50 pacer might leave you with too much ground to make up - you'd need to start pushing on very early in the race?? My own thoughts are to head out and aim for around 8 minute miles ....

Picked up my race number and t-shirt this evening. The t-shirt is nice!! :)

I'll try to look out for you at the end. My number's 359

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Has anyone got any recommendations on where to get a customised running vest done up?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Picked up my race number and t-shirt this evening. The t-shirt is nice!! :)

I'll try to look out for you at the end. My number's 359

Cheers. I'm #242. Looking forward to the race now! But also very nervous. Did a half before in 2014 so I'm not sure what to expect....

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Helenasca wrote: »
    Has anyone got any recommendations on where to get a customised running vest done up?

I just got one done up on http://soretodaystrongtomorrow.co.uk They have pre-designed ones or for an extra £2 they’ll do a custom one for you.
    I love it, I’m gonna wear it on my 20 miles today but I think I found my marathon top :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Helenasca wrote: »

Flux Apparel do them also

As others have said Pace yourself, the two pace groups are too far either side of where you want to be. Start at 8:05-8:10 min/m and ease yourself into over the first couple of miles, hit your target pace and hold it for the middle miles, and ramp up near the end if you can. AS others have said 1:45 is a nice round number - no challenge on the math front ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    As others have said Pace yourself, the two pace groups are too far either side of where you want to be. Start at 8:05-8:10 min/m and ease yourself into over the first couple of miles, hit your target pace and hold it for the middle miles, and ramp up near the end if you can. AS others have said 1:45 is a nice round number - no challenge on the math front ;)

Thanks Ariana. I think I see the pacers as something of a safety blanket and that if I go out on my own, I'll make a holy mess of things.
    But you're right, it's a straightforward enough target to manage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks Ariana. I think I see the pacers as something of a safety blanket and that if I go out on my own, I'll make a holy mess of things.

The pacers are fantastic at DCM but they're not always so dependable. You won't make a mess of it. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

After the 1st mile or two you will notice the same faces around you running similar splits so you won't be going alone. I had a girl from Rathfarnham AC ask me on Sunday what my target time was and she stuck with me from 6 miles on. No harm having a quick yap to someone beside you and you can work together

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

kittyclaws wrote:
    They have pre-designed ones or for an extra £2 they’ll do a custom one for you. I love it, I’m gonna wear it on my 20 miles today but I think I found my marathon top

And thanks Ariana will have a look at both of them.

It's all getting a bit real now thinking about this eccckkkkk exciting!

The only way you will make a holy mess of it is by going out too fast! Which is why i suggested you start slightly slower than your target, first mile @ 8:10, next couple @ 8:05-8:10. At the 3m marker do a body check, are the legs feeling good, are the lungs feeling good?? Is 1:45 still on? If so then gradually get up to pace, keep it steady, keep the head and you'll do grand ;)

It will give you great confidence for DCM knowing you are capable of pacing yourself if the need arises. For a bit of background, I started behind my chosen pace group last year, in the first mile i lost sight of them and the next pace group passed me as well :eek: I ended up passing the next pace group reasonably soon after (around 3m in) but i didn't catch up with the pace group i had planned on running with until about 21-22 miles. I eventually finished 3 mins ahead of them proving that it wasn't a case that i wasn't able for that pace but running with the pace group just didn't work out on the day! So no harm to be prepared for any eventuality.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    The only way you will make a holy mess of it is by going out too fast! Which is why i suggested you start slightly slower than your target, first mile @ 8:10, next couple @ 8:05-8:10. At the 3m marker do a body check, are the legs feeling good, are the lungs feeling good?? Is 1:45 still on? If so then gradually get up to pace, keep it steady, keep the head and you'll do grand ;)

It will give you great confidence for DCM knowing you are capable of pacing yourself if the need arises. For a bit of background, I started behind my chosen pace group last year, in the first mile i lost sight of them and the next pace group passed me as well :eek: I ended up passing the next pace group reasonably soon after (around 3m in) but i didn't catch up with the pace group i had planned on running with until about 21-22 miles. I eventually finished 3 mins ahead of them proving that it wasn't a case that i wasn't able for that pace but running with the pace group just didn't work out on the day! So no harm to be prepared for any eventuality.

Thanks Ariana,

I know I am capable of it but unfortunately I was born a self-doubter, something that has plagued me and held me back for years. Once I'm in the moment though, it's all good. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks Ariana,

I know I am capable of it but unfortunately I was born a self-doubter, something that has plagued me and held me back for years. Once I'm in the moment though, it's all good. ;)

You are well able Coogy and look at the improvement in your pacing since you started here. If you are very nervous of shooting off you could start beside the 1:50 guys and stay with them for a few minutes so you don’t shoot off and gradually build up the speed then to the 8:10 or so like Ariana suggests. It will probably feel quite slow at the start anyway so that might keep you in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

kittyclaws wrote: »
    I wasn’t going to post but someone might learn from my stupidity :(
    I raced FD10 even tho I had planned on doing it as my LSR. Racing has a bad effect on me, it takes me ages to recover, but I figured what’s 10 miles at this point when I was fine after doing 18 last weekend!
    I felt fine after the race, and fine for most of yesterday. I went to the gym on my lunch hour for a weight session, then decided to go for my easy run straight from work as some of the girls were going out then. I only had a salad for lunch, so grabbed a bar from the vending machine and headed out.

After a mile I started to get dizzy. I thought I’d run it off so kept going - another half mile or so in I was shaking and sweating profusely. I had to stop and sit down. In the end I had to get a lift back to my car I was in such a state!
    I rang my other half (who is a nutritionist) who said it sounded like my blood sugar was spiking and to get a banana, a chocolate protein milk and a breakfast bar into me to stabilise.
    After a while I felt well enough to drive home. I feel ok today but gonna wait to do a test 4 mile run tomorrow to let the glycogen stores go back up.

I’m supposed to be doing my 20 mile run on Thursday, I’ll have to see how tomorrow’s run goes, I got a bit of a scare but looking back it’s my own fault for not refuelling properly after the race.
    I definitely would not say stupid, this happens as you say when you extend your self training wise without adequate recovery. I have been here and it is horrible. Take some care to ensure you are properly recovered.

Every now and again the training gives little reminders to keep respecting the pace and the distance - I sometimes get shocks and readjust where i am in my head (on both good and bad days), overall though the training is making us stronger and fitter. It tends to happen after sneaky pints and some chocolate (a lot of :( ) for me, a little reminder take nothing for granted, especially these last few weeks. Push on with the training and enjoy the few weeks after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Was in this predicament last year, in this exact thread.
    Wanted 1:40, but the thoughts of a 1:3x was floating around. The oul famous skyblue told me to cop on and go for it, said I would give a good lash after couple of miles with the pacers.

We all know about the half last year, I missed the pacers and had to run it on my own. Caught up with them @ mile 10 (or so?) and was able to pass no problem, came in @ 1:35, delighted!

Now by no means am I saying dont mind the pacers, but its trying to find that fine line between blowing up and not wasting a race because you were too cautious, you wont know until you give it 100% for the whole race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Wanted 1:40, but the thoughts of a 1:3x was floating around. The oul famous skyblue told me to cop on and go for it, said I would give a good lash after couple of miles with the pacers.

We all know about the half last year, I missed the pacers and had to run it on my own. Caught up with them @ mile 10 (or so?) and was able to pass no problem, came in @ 1:35, delighted!

Now by no means am I saying dont mind the pacers, but its trying to find that fine line between blowing up and not wasting a race because you were too cautious, you wont know until you give it 100% for the whole race.

I also think that someone with a 43:xx for 10k and 78 for a 10 mile as Coogy has should be considering going with the 1:40 pacers and be prepared to fall off them if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

skyblue46 wrote: »

I also think that someone with a 43:xx for 10k and 78 for a 10 mile as Coogy has should be considering going with the 1:40 pacers and be prepared to fall off them if needs be.

I had a 44.02 for 10k and 77 for 10 mile facing in to the half race 2 weeks ago. Decided to go with the 1.40 and even though at 13k it was my calf tightening up that caused me to let them go, i knew i had over extended myself and was unlikely to stay with them anyway. My plan for the Dublin half is to pace myself at 1.45 and push on over the last 5 or 6 k to hopefully come closer to 1.40. Did this tactic for a half before and found it much more enjoyable. It also gives you that extra kick when you are fresher over them final few k and are picking off runners. Every one is different but it seems to work better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

sann wrote: »
    I had a 44.02 for 10k and 77 for 10 mile facing in to the half race 2 weeks ago. Decided to go with the 1.40 and even though at 13k it was my calf tightening up that caused me to let them go, i knew i had over extended myself and was unlikely to stay with them anyway. My plan for the Dublin half is to pace myself at 1.45 and push on over the last 5 or 6 k to hopefully come closer to 1.40. Did this tactic for a half before and found it much more enjoyable. It also gives you that extra kick when you are fresher over them final few k and are picking off runners. Every one is different but it seems to work better for me.

Yeah there is no guarantee that a time at one distance will translate to another distance. I had a 46.xx last year. I didn't race a 10 mile but figured I would have been looking at about 78 based on the shape I was in. My subsequent half was then a touch under 1:41 but with a very negative split. I must add that the first half of the Race Series Half last year was uphill including 2 decent drags. The 2nd half had a ski slope and was generally downhill to flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

[and go for it, said I would give a good lash after couple of miles with the pacers.

Now by no means am I saying dont mind the pacers, but its trying to find that fine line between blowing up and not wasting a race because you were too cautious, you wont know until you give it 100% for the whole race.[/QUOTE]

I also think that someone with a 43:xx for 10k and 78 for a 10 mile as Coogy has should be considering going with the 1:40 pacers and be prepared to fall off them if needs be.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

skyblue46 wrote: »

Yeah I had a 44:55 10k going into the half last year, and as you said it was hilly. Saturday is fairly flat too I think?

• Advertisement

Yeah I had a 44:55 10k going into the half last year, and as you said it was hilly. Saturday is fairly flat too I think?

Yes, it seems to be quite flat alright!

Advertisement