Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any of you doing 20 milers this weekend feeling nervous?!!
    Just prepared my route on https://onthegomap.com/#/create which I find very useful. Will drive it on Saturday before the weekly shop and run on Sunday morning. Virtually running it as well on google streetview at the moment, have to say this one has me nervous as my previous max distance was 18 miles and this one is more hilly but DCM isn't going to be totally flat either so we need to be ready for that too.
    Best of luck to all on their LSR preparations, hope you are not already getting butterflies like me!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Supercell wrote: »
    Just prepared my route on https://onthegomap.com/#/create which I find very useful. Will drive it on Saturday before the weekly shop and run on Sunday morning. Virtually running it as well on google streetview at the moment, have to say this one has me nervous as my previous max distance was 18 miles and this one is more hilly but DCM isn't going to be totally flat either so we need to be ready for that too.
    Best of luck to all on their LSR preparations, hope you are not already getting butterflies like me!

Just preparing mine - on the Rungo app. Very nervous. Think I've decided to meet the DCM route at St. Patrick's Catherdral and run it as far as Dolphin's Barn before heading home. It would be 34k door to door, so I'll have the cavalry on stand by to come and get me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

juke wrote: »
    Just preparing mine - on the Rungo app. Very nervous. Think I've decided to meet the DCM route at St. Patrick's Catherdral and run it as far as Dolphin's Barn before heading home. It would be 34k door to door, so I'll have the cavalry on stand by to come and get me :o

Don't worry folks you'll be grand. Eat a few extra carbs the couple of days before and make sure you hydrate well. On the day bring plenty of water & fuel with you if it's not left along the route in advance, a couple of euro in the pocket for an emergency water stop, a mobile phone if you're running on your own (i use Google location sharing so my OH can keep tabs on me!). Pace yourselves, especially in the early stages when you'll have fresh legs raring to go! And think of the sense of accomplishment you'll have when it's done, it's the longest training run you will do - next stop after this is the marathon :eek:

Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Yup I'm also feeling nervous about the 20 miler.
    I found the last couple of miles of the 18 miler very tough so I've lost my confidence a little.

I had promised myself a run out to Poolbeg for this as it's a run I'd love to do and the distance matches. However, I got very ill after the last big run, dehydration was the biggest factor. I wasn't just tired or my legs were sore. Seriously it was the following Thursday before I felt alright again.

So I'm wondering if I should park my car somewhere that I can loop around a few times (a good few times!!!) and keep all my supplies there? Though a run like that sounds very boring.

The forecast for Saturday is to rain too. That could help keep me cool on my way to the South Wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I found the last couple of miles of the 18 miler very tough so I've lost my confidence a little.

I had promised myself a run out to Poolbeg for this as it's a run I'd love to do and the distance matches. However, I got very ill after the last big run, dehydration was the biggest factor. I wasn't just tired or my legs were sore. Seriously it was the following Thursday before I felt alright again.

So I'm wondering if I should park my car somewhere that I can loop around a few times (a good few times!!!) and keep all my supplies there? Though a run like that sounds very boring.

The forecast for Saturday is to rain too. That could help keep me cool on my way to the South Wall....

Half the battle is mental. You're being asked to do something you've never done before and won't have to exceed again until DCM. I'd say treat it like a marathon prep. One lap, a belt, gels or bloks, stop at a shop for water if you need to. You can and will do this. It'll be tough but you're ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Try not to worry too much. Eat a bit extra and hydrate well tomorrow. Honestly, I’m nervous heading into every long run and this will be my 5th marathon. Make sure you are eating for recovery as soon as you can after the run too - that’s really important.

I’ve parked in a place where I could do loops the last two long runs as wary of an injury so didn’t want to get too far from the car. Mentally I do find loops harder though. In the end I did a big loop and smaller loop both weeks for variety. Do whatever gives you more confidence but I bet you’d be fine doing one big loop - or do some sort of figure of 8 so you pass the car once?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thank you! I'm going to give it my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Thank you! I'm going to give it my best.

You'll do great! The determination from everyone here is wonderful to see!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

It feels like Ive thought of nothing but this 20 mile run since I finished the frank Duffy! It really is all consuming isint it??

I’m looking forward to the post high of saying I did it....but yeah I’m nervous of the pre run unknown too obviously.

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    It feels like Ive thought of nothing but this 20 mile run since I finished the frank Duffy! It really is all consuming isint it??

I’m looking forward to the post high of saying I did it....but yeah I’m nervous of the pre run unknown too obviously.
    It sure is, I think once the first 20 miler is done I'll relax a lot or my legs will be in bits!
    My thoughts have been going like, its too hard, ahh you will be grand, i'll get injured, maybe I should stick to halfs, my knee/ankle/insert sore bit, hurts and i wont make it to the start line, ahh you'll be grand..rinse and repeat :eek:

Just want to get out there and fight the mental demons head on at this stage.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

I kind of ignored the fact we had a 20 miler this weekend, ignorant is bliss sometimes. Boss is out of the office today so I will spend most of the day doing what Supercell did yesterday and plan this weekends carnage. This is voluntary right ?

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

It sure is, I think once the first 20 miler is done I'll relax a lot or my legs will be in bits!
    My thoughts have been going like, its too hard, ahh you will be grand, i'll get injured, maybe I should stick to halfs, my knee/ankle/insert sore bit, hurts and i wont make it to the start line, ahh you'll be grand..rinse and repeat :eek:

Just want to get out there and fight the mental demons head on at this stage.
    Just stick the immersion on before you head out, that might make you more determined to get around a bit quicker and you've the added bonus of a bath at the end ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not gonna lie, I'm nervous as well too, but am gonna give it a good shot! I figure I was nervous before the first 16 miler too, but that faded away once I got going, and was 2-3 miles in.

I think I'm going to do loops of the Park for this one, rather than a new route, figuring it's best to run somewhere I'm familiar with, gives me ones less thing to have to think about on the run. Will save a new route for the next 20 miler I think.

It really feels like this week and next week are huge milestones, and once we've them down, we'll be on the home straight!

aloooof wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, I'm nervous as well too, but am gonna give it a good shot! I figure I was nervous before the first 16 miler too, but that faded away once I got going, and was 2-3 miles in.

I think I'm going to do loops of the Park for this one, rather than a new route, figuring it's best to run somewhere I'm familiar with, gives me ones less thing to have to think about on the run. Will save a new route for the next 20 miler I think.

It really feels like this week and next week are huge milestones, and once we've them down, we'll be on the home straight!

That's what I'm thinking to, if we can get the next two weeks done then we can start to BELIEVE in the once impossible :pac:

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I kind of ignored the fact we had a 20 miler this weekend, ignorant is bliss sometimes. Boss is out of the office today so I will spend most of the day doing what Supercell did yesterday and plan this weekends carnage. This is voluntary right ?

Half marathon for me tomorrow so no 20 mile lsr for me but I've already planned my route for the second 20 mile run and it's worked out as a perfect loop of exactly 20 miles, starting and finishing at the same point.
    Love it when a plan comes together........

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Just stick the immersion on before you head out, that might make you more determined to get around a bit quicker and you've the added bonus of a bath at the end ;)

ha ha brilliant!!!

Just stick the immersion on before you head out, that might make you more determined to get around a bit quicker and you've the added bonus of a bath at the end ;)

My physio recommended to take a bath with epsom salts after the lsr's funny you should mention that, will be trying out this weekend :) Apparently really helps recovery in the legs.

Did you just use the word "quicker" in relation to a long run? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I done my 20 miler after work last night. Relieved to have it done! Stiff hips and sore toes this morning, but overall not too bad!
    I had someone meet me to run the last 8 miles which really helped, she kept chatting away which was a great distraction :)
    My pacing was desperate, i should have more control over it at this stage, i really struggled for the last 3 miles because of it. I’ve an Apple Watch which is very basic for running and I can’t set a pace on it, i must look out for an app I can get for my phone for next time.
    Ice bath waiting for me when I got home, then calf sleeves on, Dominos ordered and feet up for the rest of the night. (I’m good at the recovery bit!)
    Hoping to do an easy 2-3 miles on my lunch hour, will see how the morning goes :)
    Best of luck everyone on your 20 miles, the worst part is thinking about it xx

skyblue46 wrote: »

Sorry coach, bloody spell check. Survive... I meant survive

• Advertisement

Hahaha....forgiven! I should post up my splits from my 20 mile run on this weekend last year. You'd be amazed that I actually practiced what I preach :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

coogy wrote: »
    Half marathon for me tomorrow so no 20 mile lsr for me but I've already planned my route for the second 20 mile run and it's worked out as a perfect loop of exactly 20 miles, starting and finishing at the same point.
    Love it when a plan comes together........

Best of luck with the half, coogy!

We get away with nathing around here! :pac:
    kittyclaws wrote: »
    I done my 20 miler after work last night.

Fair play getting that in AFTER work, kittyclaws!
    That's what I'm thinking to, if we can get the next two weeks done then we can start to BELIEVE in the once impossible :pac:

Little bit more and it's in the bag! ;)

Hahaha....forgiven! I should post up my splits from my 20 mile run on this weekend last year. You'd be amazed that I actually practiced what I preach :pac:
    As a matter of interst, what was your PMP

At this point it was 4 hours, 5:40 per km or 9:09 per mile. It was only over the following few weeks that I felt I could get a bit below that. For this run I wanted to average 10 minute miles but to finish faster on tired legs. I wanted time on my feet more than anything else.

At this point it was 4 hours, 5:40 per km or 9:09 per mile. It was only over the following few weeks that I felt I could get a bit below that. For this run I wanted to average 10 minute miles but to finish faster on tired legs. I wanted time on my feet more than anything else.
    So would you advise me to go with 10 min miles this weekend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck to everyone running 20 miles this weekend. Looking forward to seeing how you all got on.

I have a 16 mile run tomorrow as per the HH plan, furthest distance yet. Going to do 13km to pass by my house and then the second 13km. Looking at the weather forecast I don't think we will need sun cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Good luck to everyone running their first 20m - listen to Skyblue on the pacing front. You'll definitely be on a high after it and buzzing for the marathon more than ever.

So would you advise me to go with 10 min miles this weekend ?

I'd advise you to follow the paces that are part of the plan. I know not everybody has bought into the idea but it is the way to prepare a novice for a first marathon. I think the paces mentioned were 60 to 90 seconds slower than PMP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I now have a 'crunching' sound in my right knee when I go up or down a set of stairs!! Anyone else's body making strange creaking noises??

This has happened to me before in the past and seems to go away after a few weeks of long runs, that can only be a sign that I am doing it properly, right? :eek:

I sound like a shotgun being loaded when I get up off the couch after an LSR these days, I think that I need a can of WD40 for the knees and ankles.....I am fast becoming the Tin Man out of the Wizard of Oz :D

Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil tablets and the Foam Roller to the rescue.........

• Advertisement

smashiner wrote: »
    I now have a 'crunching' sound in my right knee when I go up or down a set of stairs!! Anyone else's body making strange creaking noises??

This has happened to me before in the past and seems to go away after a few weeks of long runs, that can only be a sign that I am doing it properly, right? :eek:

I sound like a shotgun being loaded when I get up off the couch after an LSR these days, I think that I need a can of WD40 for the knees and ankles.....I am fast becoming the Tin Man out of the Wizard of Oz :D

Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil tablets and the Foam Roller to the rescue.........

That used to happen to me a few years back but it just disappeared. People would always hear me before they could see me. :p

Advertisement