Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

first 25k today
    did much of the first part of the marathon route from stonybatter up towards NCR, into the park, castleknock, chapelizod and then on up SCR to walkinstown roundabout before heading back home to rialto.
    run went well for most part but last 1.5km was a real struggle

thankfully have my marathon kit and nutrition etc. fully tried and tested and know exactly what ill wear, eat, drink and when! thank god for body glide and nip guards!

am a bit anxious about the rest of the milage increases as the boards plan i am kinda following only goes up to 32km before tapering which leaves an extra 10km to do on the day! seems like a big jump but am sure ill survive..

going to do the half marathon in 2 weeks in dublin, i understand this will be a good way to gauge what pace i should try for the DCM? can anyone advise if this should be treated as a LSR or a race (i..e PMP or faster?) bearing in mind i am training for first marathon and only have a handful of runs greater than 20k under my belt so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you are using it to decide your marathon pace, it has to be a race.

ok thanks for info, am a total novice so trying to get as much info as possible
    will aim to run consistently at PMP and hopefully have some left in the tank for the last few k :)

would you recommend using half marathon pace and adding a certain % on to the splits as the ideal marathon pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

ok thanks for info, am a total novice so trying to get as much info as possible
    will aim to run consistently at PMP and hopefully have some left in the tank for the last few k :)

would you recommend using half marathon pace and adding a certain % on to the splits as the ideal marathon pace?

Do you have any recent race times from which to estimate a likely half marathon time?

it is a bit of a tricky one truth be told, my last race was run in the dark 2017 and i did the 10k in 48min

before then i only had a handful of 10k races behind me, started training in july but got injured so only really got back into running regularly in early august (i cycle and play football a lot so cardio and general fitness is good despite injury and not doing too many proper runs since run in the dark)

my long slow runs are around 6min per km pace so am doing 20k in two hours, i feel like i could pick it up a bit if i wanted, the other day i did 5k in around 23 min without much hassle

probably not the best data set to determine long race pace times but it is all ive got for now unfortunately!

truth be told i would be happy to just finish the thing but if i have the ability to stick to a specific pace group then why not..

• Advertisement

it is a bit of a tricky one truth be told, my last race was run in the dark 2017 and i did the 10k in 48min

before then i only had a handful of 10k races behind me, started training in july but got injured so only really got back into running regularly in early august (i cycle and play football a lot so cardio and general fitness is good despite injury and not doing too many proper runs since run in the dark)

my long slow runs are around 6min per km pace so am doing 20k in two hours, i feel like i could pick it up a bit if i wanted, the other day i did 5k in around 23 min without much hassle

probably not the best data set to determine long race pace times but it is all ive got for now unfortunately!

truth be told i would be happy to just finish the thing but if i have the ability to stick to a specific pace group then why not..

A sub 2 hour half-marathon should be very achievable given those times, assuming adequate training.
    McMillan suggests 1:46/47, so adding a bit on for it's optimistic tendencies, may have you coming in around the 1:55 mark.
    Those times are very similar to my own, and I ran a 1:54 half recently. Maybe set out with the 2 hour pacers, and kick on in the second half if feeling strong?

You would then use your half time to calculate PMP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Standing here having my breakfast at 06:30 on a Sunday morning, long time (if ever) I was up this early at the weekend!
    Best of luck today any other novices about to do their 20 milers, hope it goes well for us all :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Good luck to everyone on there long runs today. Weather is nice here in killarney. Hope it is the same where ever you are.
    Just a few words from my own one yesterday.
    I did similar mileage last week on the Lsr so the distance was not my biggest worry. It was the usual fear of making it through without injury.
    I probably didnt help that cause by running it a bit quicker than what i should but my PMP is still not nailed down so i decided to leave the watch in my pocket and just run at a pace that i knew i could finish out the last mile as strong as i ran the first. And that is what i did. Really enjoyed it and i think the buzz is only starting to wear off now.
    I am lucky to be able to run in Killarney national park and the scenery definitely helps to occupy the mind when the negative thoughts start creeping in every now and again. I started listening to the MTA podcasts lately and must admit to really enjoying them on my runs. I knock on the music then for the 40 mins to give me a bit of a boost.
    Got the nip ease patches during the week and they were a life saver.
    Nutrition wise i dont run well after a heavy breakfast so i always keep it light. Yesterday was coffee, greek yogart and a few dates while driving to the park.
    I have the nathan trail belt with the 2 bottles so i split a zero tab between the 2 and put a scoop of tailwind in each.
    After that it was a lidl sportyfeel protein bar cut in to 4 equal parts taken at 10,13,16 and 19 miles. Must say it went perfect. Absolutely so effects on the stomach whatsoever. Could do with an extra drop of liquid alright. Was dry with a mile and a half to go.
    Got home and straight in to bath with some ice cubes for 10 mins.
    Legs feel good this morning and i definitely think this was a huge help.
    It is great to see everyone runs from yesterday. It didnt go completely to plan for everyone but 2 weeks ago i was questioning where it was all gone wrong on the way home from the Clonmel half and today i am getting ready to go out for a few recovery miles on the bike while still on a high from the 20 miler yesterday. So dont let one bad day derail the bigger plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I ran my LSR of 16 miles yesterday. Longest run so far. Love running in the rain so yesterday morning was ideal. Sipped on Tailwind throughout and it really helped. Didn't feel wrecked any any stage and no hunger. A short stop at home at 14 km to leave the rain jacket and have some water and a banana.

Delighted with that run and my pace throughout.

A quick question. The LSR next weekend is 12 miles. Would it be too soon after the 16 mile run to run this on Wednesday? There is a local 5 mile run next Sunday which I planned to do as part of my 12 mile LSR but I am thinking of running it as one of the easy runs instead.

I'm still buzzing from yesterday too. I haven't actually slept since! Started a set of night shifts last night, so tried to get a few hours sleep yesterday afternoon. I'd normally grab a few hours no problem, especially after a run, but couldn't nod off at all such was my buzz. Ordinarily, I'd really struggle through a night shift if I hadn't got some sleep beforehand, but I sailed through last night, and I've still no great feeling of overwhelming tiredness. Going to try and sleep again now, and allow the body recover if I can.

Really enjoyed the run itself. I felt much better than during the 18 miler the previous week. I think there are a few reasons for that, one of which was I really concentrated on eating well in the days beforehand and loading up on the carbs. My pace wad also a fraction slower this week (8sec/mile), which probably helped me feel stronger later in the run. Also, I went to the physio for a rub out on Friday, and that helped with the odd ache and pain. Definitely going to book a return visit, maybe 10-14 days out from DCM.

Well done to all who completed runs and races over the past few days, there has been some phenomenal mileage put up by us as a group over the past few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

First 18 mile run done here. I'm on call this weekend and typically the phone starts ringing at 9am on a Sunday so I was up at 5.15am to grab two slices of toast, a yoghurt and a mug of tea and stretch before starting my 18 mile run at 6.15am.

It was too dark to hit the roads, I live in the country and am afraid to be on the roads in the dark in case of an accident so I headed to the track around the local soccer pitches. Illuminous t-shirt, flip belt with energy gels and water and on call phone, my own phone strapped to my arm to use RunKeeper app and head torch on. I must have looked like some sight!

Just over 30 laps of the approx 900m track and in and out of the pitches gave me 18.17miles with an average of 9:17/mile. I decided to go a little faster than my usual LSR pace of 9:25-9:30/mile as I am usually running on hilly roads and the track is pretty flat. Started off the first 4 miles around 9:27 then I don't know if the caffeine from the tea kicked in or I got a boost from the Sun coming up but I felt like I was trying to reign back a horse as the pace dropped to 9:00 for the next 3 miles.
    Took a gel after 5 miles and again at 11miles. Slowed myself down after 8 miles to make sure I wouldn't burn out then when I hit 12 miles I knew I was in good shape. Seeing as 6 miles is my shortest mid-week run there is something reassuring about knowing I only have 6 miles left and will make it to the finish. Took of the handbrake for the last 6 miles and just ticked along at a nice steady pace. I know skyblue will say it was too fast with 3 of the last 6 miles under 9:00/mile but I felt good and was finding it more uncomfortable to slow down than to stay going at that pace. I'm sorry Skyblue! Will be slower next week when back out on the roads.

Happy to finish stronger than I started. Very different running on a mostly flat gravel track than running on the roads up and down hills. No issues with the gels. Nice to have it out of the way, stretching done and 2nd breakfast eaten by 10.10 in the morning. Only had one phone call while running, a 4 minute conversation about a dog with diarrhoea at 14miles :o. My slowest mile of the last 6 not surprisingly! Now fingers crossed I get to make it into kilkenny to watch my brothers win the Junior B County Final :D

anyone notice new pains in joints when reaching new milestones in the LSR distances? left knee is really sore this morning but am hoping it goes away in a day or two so i can resume the training plan.

ps congrats everyone on the new distances, enjoying reading everyones reports. keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hey folks, any thoughts on mileage today after yesterday's half marathon?

Legs are a little stiff, as I imagined they would be.

A few easy miles to run it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

First 20 miler done and I am buzzing, oh what a feeling!
    Didn't realise i hadn't tied my right shoelace properly until i started getting stabbing pains in my achilles after mount anville road (quite a steep incline if anyone knows the area). I sorted out the shoe but the damage was done so dropped pace by about a minute a mile for a few miles after that then was mostly downhill so survived!
    Easy week this week and slower from the outset and it should be fine. Had a bit in the tank at the end which was great. Cannot wait for DCM now, bring it on!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

No LSR for me this weekend as I had 100 k cycle yesterday (I know keep the main thing the main thing, but this one was non negiotiable, something I’ve been doing for 7 years, and the thing that got me into cycling, which in turn gave me the leg strength and knee stability to contemplate running - anyway, I digress).
    Having mostly forsaken the bike for the running shoes this Summer the 100k took a bit more effort than previously would have ( bike fitness and running fitness are a bit different).
    Anyway, after finishing the cycle (4.30 hrs with a food stop) I switched to running gear and hit out to do hopefully 10k at LSR pace. Legs were tired starting out and I thought this will stand to me, as they will no doubt be tired 20 miles into a marathon. Twice contemplated cutting it short, but glad I stuck it out to the end. Like including a local hill near the end of my LSR, I’m hoping these thing will stand to me psychologically on the day itself.
    Now just have to figure out how to approach my half marathon next weekend. Local JJ Reddy run, (say hello @hobbyhogger). My plan was to give it a fair go to see how I’m going and make a final decision on DCM target time. But I’m thinking if I race it, I will need a bit of recovery, and I may set an ambitious target which will be hard. I may just settle for a slightly more modest target, and do the HM at PMP. Also my efforts this weekend will mean that I won’t be fresh enough for it to be a marker.
    Next few weeks are vital for us all to build on what we have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

coogy wrote: »
    Hey folks, any thoughts on mileage today after yesterday's half marathon?

Legs are a little stiff, as I imagined they would be.

A few easy miles to run it off?

3-4 mile recovery run will do them the world of good.

OOnegative wrote: »
    3-4 mile recovery run will do them the world of good.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

...I know what’s written on the plan for this week....but in my head it’s only official until ariana’ posts it on here on a Sunday...I kinda look forward to checking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I managed 31k today (shy of the 32.2k plan).

Did part of the DCM route from St. Patrick's Cathedral, through Stoneybatter, Phoenix Park, Chapelizod to Dolphin's Barn. Very enjoyable, although I struggled during the last 10, and my left calf is very sore now.

I'm going to take the positives from it:

I saw deer in the park,
    I welcomed the headwind up Chesterfield Ave, as it was sunnier than expected,
    I didn't walk up or after the hill at St. Laurence Road,
    I didn't get lost despite the Rungo App's best efforts by dropping off all the time,
    I have earned a protein rich roast Sunday dinner & Epsom salt bath, and maybe even a small glass of wine!

It would have been easy to give up a lot earlier - but knowing Strava tells no lies is a great motivator.

Well done all this week - no-one said this journey would be easy :p

juke wrote: »
    I managed 31k today (shy of the 32.2k plan).

Did part of the DCM route from St. Patrick's Cathedral, through Stoneybatter, Phoenix Park, Chapelizod to Dolphin's Barn. Very enjoyable, although I struggled during the last 10, and my left calf is very sore now.

I'm going to take the positives from it:

I saw deer in the park,
    I welcomed the headwind up Chesterfield Ave, as it was sunnier than expected,
    I didn't walk up or after the hill at St. Laurence Road,
    I didn't get lost despite the Rungo App's best efforts by dropping off all the time,
    I have earned a protein rich roast Sunday dinner & Epsom salt bath, and maybe even a small glass of wine!

It would have been easy to give up a lot earlier - but knowing Strava tells no lies is a great motivator.

Well done all this week - no-one said this journey would be easy :p

That's my mantra: "Nobody said this would be easy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

going to do the half marathon in 2 weeks in dublin, i understand this will be a good way to gauge what pace i should try for the DCM? can anyone advise if this should be treated as a LSR or a race (i..e PMP or faster?) bearing in mind i am training for first marathon and only have a handful of runs greater than 20k under my belt so far

How can you use a half marathon to determine your PMP, and use your PMP to decide how fast to run in a half marathon? :)

Yes.

There's no real way to know how fast you can run in a marathon. It's all guesswork. The more experience you have, the better your guesses get, but still the only way to know is to run the thing.

For your first marathon, you are very much in the dark. All you can go on is your times in shorter distance races, and there's a lot of variation in how well people convert shorter distance times to marathon times. But still, that's your best predictor - run a half marathon as fast as you possibly can, and use that to estimate how fast you can run the longer distance.

(Or you can work it the other way around. If you have a goal time for the marathon, estimate what the equivalent is in a half marathon, and try to run that time)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Well done to all who did the 20 miles. Way to make me and my 15-miler feel inadequate, my excuse is Hal Higdon... :)

I just said I would share my hydration strategy since somebody was wondering about it last week and might be able to do something similar.

I drove to Clonskeagh this morning, parked the car and ran home (4 miles approx), had water inside the gate, grabbed it, did half-mile loop close to home and took on water during this, threw the water bottle over the hedge into the garden and kept going. From here I ran back to the car (another 4 miles), got water bottle out of the boot and ran 2-mile loop with a 0.75l (at a guess) bottle and got rid of it when I got back to the car, took a small bottle (the hand-shaped one) for the last 4.5miles around UCD and up Roebuck Road which was adequate (just about).

It probably sounds more complicated than it was and getting the water took max 10 seconds each time and I have to say worked a treat. Was well hydrated throughout and felt a million times better than last weekend when I had a melt down at 10 miles due to dehydration in the 20 degree heat!! I knew I had to do something different.

I had the water barely flavoured with Blackcurrant and full of ice cubes which made it much more palatable - luxuries I won't have on the day!

A good 4-5 miles on the route each way from Rathgar to Roebuck Road too. I thought when I got to the top of Roebuck Road I would sail back to the car but back down Roebuck Road into Clonskeagh is hillier than I thought - coupled with being into the wind, it was a tough slog but I made it.

But there was other drama - tragically, my 10 year old Garmin Forerunner 305 appears to have kicked the bucket :( so I was relying on MapMyRun live updates on pace, etc which was completely alien experience.

Did every mile circa 9 minutes a mile though so was happy with that although was exhausted at the end, but I was relieved to get it done after the meltdown last week!

The route was busy today - it was a bit like a mini-marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

anyone notice new pains in joints when reaching new milestones in the LSR distances? left knee is really sore this morning but am hoping it goes away in a day or two so i can resume the training plan.

ps congrats everyone on the new distances, enjoying reading everyones reports. keep it up!

The last mile of my last lsr I got a bit of s pain in my knee. Was fine once I stopped. Next day I did a recovery run but it started up again. Rested for a couple of days but it is back again today so physio tomorrow to see what is up with it. I had thought it was due to shoes so I retired them after the lsr even tho there was only 470km on them. But not sure now. Although I am at the stage where I panic with every little twinge at the moment!

RayCun wrote: »
    How can you use a half marathon to determine your PMP, and use your PMP to decide how fast to run in a half marathon? :)

so far in training my 'PMP' has been 5:30 per km but this is purely speculation as i havent raced in more than 10k, and longest run i did was a long slow run of around 21k in just over two hours. am relatively new to running and even newer to understanding pacing etc. so my posts may be a bit disjointed, or not making much sense!
    The last mile of my last lsr I got a bit of s pain in my knee. Was fine once I stopped. Next day I did a recovery run but it started up again. Rested for a couple of days but it is back again today so physio tomorrow to see what is up with it. I had thought it was due to shoes so I retired them after the lsr even tho there was only 470km on them. But not sure now. Although I am at the stage where I panic with every little twinge at the moment!

hope it is nothing serious, going to give it a couple of days rest myself as per the plan anyhow and hopefully will be grand for tuesdays run.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Now just have to figure out how to approach my half marathon next weekend. Local JJ Reddy run, (say hello @hobbyhogger). My plan was to give it a fair go to see how I’m going and make a final decision on DCM target time. But I’m thinking if I race it, I will need a bit of recovery, and I may set an ambitious target which will be hard. I may just settle for a slightly more modest target, and do the HM at PMP. Also my efforts this weekend will mean that I won’t be fresh enough for it to be a marker.
    Next few weeks are vital for us all to build on what we have done.

Wahoo! Out of curiosity, what is your PMP at the moment? I will be heading out with the 1:50 pacer myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Wahoo! Out of curiosity, what is your PMP at the moment? I will be heading out with the 1:50 pacer myself

Are you doing it at PMP? Or was your 14 mile PMP run actually HMP? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Are you doing it at PMP? Or was your 14 mile PMP run actually HMP? :pac:

I’m confused :pac: I did the first 13 miles of that today in about 1:48 and aiming for around the same Sunday, that’s just slightly faster than my PMP - 5:13/km. Plan to push the second half a little if I can, but hills might slow me. So yeah, PMP not HMP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

racersedge wrote: »

For a lot of the back half of the run I found mentally draining. As I have noted a few times, I do all my runs solo. I seriously need to look into changing that because when you have time to talk to yourself, you can really question things. I know another option is to have podcasts or whatnot playing, but given that I run on country roads, I'd rather not place myself in a position to dull my senses. But I feel like on the remaining long-long runs I need to change things around a bit. I got to almost 23K and looked at a fairly sizable and steep hill. Attempted it and eventually said 'enough'. Queue a loud 'Damn' from myself.

It would be great if you could change that. I did all my runs alone last year too and i really struggled mentally. I joined a group last week for an 18 miler and by god the difference it made to be chatting! But last year i did give in eventually and use head phones - i just put them in one ear as like you i run on rural roads and wanted to hear traffic etc. You did well though, you got through it ;)
    first 25k today
    did much of the first part of the marathon route from stonybatter up towards NCR, into the park, castleknock, chapelizod and then on up SCR to walkinstown roundabout before heading back home to rialto.
    run went well for most part but last 1.5km was a real struggle

thankfully have my marathon kit and nutrition etc. fully tried and tested and know exactly what ill wear, eat, drink and when! thank god for body glide and nip guards!

am a bit anxious about the rest of the milage increases as the boards plan i am kinda following only goes up to 32km before tapering which leaves an extra 10km to do on the day! seems like a big jump but am sure ill survive..

This is pretty standard practice for marathon plans, some go up to 22 miles but many (I'd go so far as to say most) max out at either 20 miles or 3hrs. What you need to remember is that you are doing 20 miles on tired legs so effectively you are training for the last 20 miles of the marathon and not the first 20 miles - there's a distinct difference! You will be starting the marathon on lovely fresh legs after a 3 week taper, you will feel amazing for those first 10k and won't feel them at all, at the 10k mark you will still have less miles in your legs than you're used to having on a Saturday/Sunday morning after a week of running. It's the accumulated fatigue factor. Trust the plan ;)
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    ...I know what’s written on the plan for this week....but in my head it’s only official until ariana’ posts it on here on a Sunday...I kinda look forward to checking!

Sorry i'm getting to it but there was soo much to read back on today :p

Best of luck at the physio, i hope it's not serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    ariana` wrote: »

Sorry i'm getting to it but there was soo much to read back on today and was out getting a great HM pb:p

Just fixed that post for you there Ariana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Just fixed that post for you there Ariana.

Hush...next yis will be saying the plans work :pac:

Super running ariana'

Advertisement