Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    I've just come back from a nice 5 mile run and I think things are finally starting to click.
    Average pace was 8.36. I totally get it now!!
    Hopefully I can sustain that sort of pace over the coming months!

Nearly there! Another 30 seconds and you're laughing! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Baby75 wrote: »
    enjoy the run and running slower :) That is great you have your plan picked now get it on a paper to stick on the fridge

I think you misunderstood me!!

Did 10km this evening, reducing my time by approx 40 secs/km on average. This only brings me to my PMP but atleast it is the right direction.

Did 10km this evening, reducing my time by approx 40 secs/km on average. This only brings me to my PMP but atleast it is the right direction.

When might you get a chance to run a race? Yeah that pace still needs to slow up but it'll help you and us if we know by how much. That's a decent run at this time of the year, still weeks before the plans start.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

skyblue46 wrote: »
    When might you get a chance to run a race? Yeah that pace still needs to slow up but it'll help you and us if we know by how much. That's a decent run at this time of the year, still weeks before the plans start.

Did dublin night run a few weeks ago 10k in 56 mins. Hoping to do a half in 3 weeks time. I ran 16k last week comfortably in 96mins if that helps in anyway, albeit that it wasnt a race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote: »
    I've just come back from a nice 5 mile run and I think things are finally starting to click.
    Average pace was 8.36. I totally get it now!!
    Hopefully I can sustain that sort of pace over the coming months!

Great stuff. Just a little bit slower and you'll have me smiling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Welcome to the thread Adrian. Another non novice novice joining the party! Some great potential there alright. As has been said to quite a few already your training paces will need looking at. What paces are you training at? 46 minutes for a 10k run is too fast for marathon training for sure. It'll also reduce the risk of injury if you slow down.

Thanks.
    Yeah. Hard to get round the fact I need to slow down even though I want a sub 4 time.

Yeah the training app has me running miles at 8.03 - 8.56 in a build up mode, 9-9.50 in a comfortable run and 10:42 for a jog. Which seems very slow.

Attached is some of my last runs. I think I Definitely need to slow down but don’t know if I can

Thanks for the tips and advise. Hope I can contribute more to this thread as the weeks go by

Runs attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow, a lot of talk on training paces in the last 24 hours, it's great to see this place a hive of activity :)

The Boards plan was designed with the McMillan Calculator. This calculator is highly recognised and should suit any plan that doesn't come with a specific calculator recommended. So if you haven't already done it then get yourself over there and plug in a recent race time. The more recent and the longer the race the better (but if all you have is a 5k that is fine too). You will get your training paces off that. At the beginning you should try to stick to these paces, if you have a running watch set it up to give you an alert when you go too fast.

It's already been noted but you train to your current fitness level and not you aspired fitness level, so the training paces should be based on what you can run today, not what you hope to be able run come next October, you will all be fitter and stronger by then and that is one of the reasons why we suggest doing 1-2 races along the journey so you can potentially adjust your training paces at a later stage.

The reason we emphasis going slow is to build the aerobic engine for the endurance event ahead. Aerobic training produces muscular adaptations that improve oxygen transport to the muscles, reduces the rate of lactate formation, improves the rate of lactate removal and increases energy production and utilization. When you run slowly for prolonged periods, the body learns to break down and utilize fat as an energy source more efficiently. The more fat and less muscle glycogen you utilize, the more efficient you are and the better you will manage longer distances. As an additional benefit running slow will lessen your injury risk which is something i know quite a few of you have mentioned as a concern so if you're in any doubt it's a win-win ;)

It's been kindly brought to my attention that when using the McMillan Calculator on a Phone/IPad you need to be in Landscape view to see the button for 'Training Paces' :)

AdrianII wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Yeah. Hard to get round the fact I need to slow down even though I want a sub 4 time.

Yeah the training app has me running miles at 8.03 - 8.56 in a build up mode, 9-9.50 in a comfortable run and 10:42 for a jog. Which seems very slow.

Attached is some of my last runs. I think I Definitely need to slow down but don’t know if I can

Thanks for the tips and advise. Hope I can contribute more to this thread as the weeks go by

Well as I'm sure you know that list of runs, while impressively fast, wouldn't offer much in terms of the type of training you need for a marathon. There are a lot of posts already explaining why slow running is a major component in marathon training both in laymans terms and with scientific explanations. Hopefully you will soon move from thinking you definitely need to slow down to actually slowing down! :D

As regards not knowing if you can slow down....you could stop mid run at a traffic lights, you could slow to a jog if you were approaching a closed railway crossing so surely you can just do it because it's the right thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Runs attached
    In my own experience, I definitely used to think I only had one gear too! Practice is key; use the time between now and starting the actual marathon plan to practice running slower at least a couple of times a week. I found running with people who were more disciplined / experienced than me also helped me find those other gears. Not sure if this is an option for you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on Boards!
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    April 2018 5K club race – 39 mins
    Great Ireland Run 2018 10K – 80 mins
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Yes
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Averaging 22km a week over 3 days. Long run of 10km at the weekends with 2 shorter runs on Tuesdays & Thursdays with a club. I’ve added in yoga at least once a week for strength and core stability which I find is really helping.

I find that on my longer runs that 6-10kms are faster and stronger. I really struggle to warm up on short runs.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Realistically I’d like to finish at around 6 hours which I think is about right for me. It’d be amazing to get it faster than that but I’m a realist.
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Now that it’s brighter I could possibly add in some extra early morning training before the school run so can increase the frequency. Plan is Yoga on Mondays & Fridays (I know HH rest days), Runs on Tues/Thurs/Sun (long run).
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Life! Self-employed, have small kids, juggling the household; it’s all about fitting it in.
    Why are you running this marathon?
    Call it a mid-life crisis if you will. I just want to complete it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I'm just back from doing a 10km, 1:02:01. I think for the first time I got the hang of running slowly. It took me about 1km to find the rhythm but once I did I felt like I could hold it all day.

6.15min/km (10.04 min/mile) is about as slow as I can go. I tried to stay at 6.30min/km (10.30 min/mile) but I felt like I was going to trip over myself.

I was only paying attention to pace until 7 or 8km but then I started to look at the time. I really had to fight the urge to race myself to beat 60 mins. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Trust the process lads, don't be worrying if people of all ages and sizes are passing you out. I went out last night for 16k to try hit 6.30k pace, I averaged 6.37 and it was probably my most enjoyable run to date and had multiple runners passing me by. Just resist the urge to chase after them, trust me you'll feel the better for the next morning
    If you can find someone to head out with it makes it all the more easier to keep to the specific pace I find so if you's find someone in your locality on the Strava group it might be an option for some of you

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

went out for 5m/8k last night at similar pace of Rossi @ 6.30/k, felt very comfortable.

Gonna do 9k this weekend at slower pace of around 7.00/k pace

Was requested before but I finally go around to creating a plan I'm somewhat happy with.

Unlike last year, only the one wedding before the DCM

Clontarf 1/2 plan https://imgur.com/a/FZdtYHo

DCM Plan https://imgur.com/a/RPQLc9R

Would love to hear good or bad feedback. Focusing mainly on the 10% rule. Project manager at heart, hence the excel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I promised I would update with my weekly log here for those who are curious of others plans.. so here last week's log.. I'll try add it every Tuesday going forward.

Running log

Total Distance: 12.7 miles

Total Time: 2 hr 32 mins

Tuesday 8th of May
    Distance: 3.01 mi
    Time: 33:31
    Pace: 11:08/mi

Splits
    Mile 1: 11:20 /mi
    Mile 2: 11:30 /mi
    Mile 3: 10:31 /mi

Wednesday 9th of May
    Distance: 3.00 mi
    Time: 35:02
    Pace: 11:36/mi

Splits
    Mile 1: 11:55 /mi
    Mile 2: 11:35 /mi
    Mile 3: 11:16 /mi

Friday 11th of May
    Distance: 2.00 mi
    Time: 23:56
    Pace: 11:54/mi

Splits
    Mile 1: 11:55 /mi
    Mile 2: 11:51 /mi

Sunday 11th of May
    Distance: 4.7 mi
    Time: 1:00:05
    Pace: 12:41/mi

Splits
    Mile 1: 12:32 /mi
    Mile 2: 12:08 /mi
    Mile 3: 12:53 /mi
    Mile 4: 12:51 /mi
    0.7 : 13:08 /mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Did I, you said you were going out and going to try running slower and you did a step in the right direction is right :) now you have your PMP sorted you just need to work out easy and LSR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

No
    I run 5miles in 56minutes.
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Yes. I can run 5k in about 35mins without break, but have problems with pacing myself and tend to run too fast and need 5/10seconds breaks every few KMs
    How much training do you currently do ?[I mostly get out three times a weeks. I aim for 2 5mile runs and 1 2.5m run
    What do you want to achieve?
    To cross the finish line is all! I would love love to do it sub 4 hours but not sure how realistic that is.
    How many days a week can you train?
    on average 3 times per week. some weeks I may be able to get out more.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? That I will end up having to walk it!
    Why are you running this marathon?[/B]
    I started running at the end of January with a couch to 5k programme. I was at zero fitness(couldnt even run 0.5km). I need a goal!
    To prove to myself I can do it!

Well as I'm sure you know that list of runs, while impressively fast, wouldn't offer much in terms of the type of training you need for a marathon. There are a lot of posts already explaining why slow running is a major component in marathon training both in laymans terms and with scientific explanations. Hopefully you will soon move from thinking you definitely need to slow down to actually slowing down! :D

As regards not knowing if you can slow down....you could stop mid run at a traffic lights, you could slow to a jog if you were approaching a closed railway crossing so surely you can just do it because it's the right thing to do?

Took. Advise on board. Went out slower today. Still need to slow it down. Did 5.2 mile in 40.29 @ 7:44 pace. Still need to slow it down. But I definitely was not as tired as previous runs. Will try and slow it down more on Fri.

Question about heart rate. What is a normal rate my average today was 151 bpm my normal rate is 56-60bpm is the 151 normal or is it high and something to be worried about.

• Advertisement

Took. Advise on board. Went out slower today. Still need to slow it down. Did 5.2 mile in 40.29 @ 7:44 pace. Still need to slow it down. But I definitely was not as tired as previous runs. Will try and slow it down more on Fri.

Question about heart rate. What is a normal rate my average today was 151 bpm my normal rate is 56-60bpm is the 151 normal or is it high and something to be worried about.

What's your max HR? You need a resting and Max HR to calculate training zones.

On an easy run you shouldn't be tired at all...zero tiredness!

What's your max HR? You need a resting and Max HR to calculate training zones.

On an easy run you shouldn't be tired at all...zero tiredness!

Max was 178, avg 151 with aerobic 4.1/5

Ok...so you know your zones. And you know that very easy is zone 1. 85% of weekly running should be in zone 1 or 2, the remaining between zones 3,4 and 5 with about 5% of weekly running in zone 5.

Basically the heart rate confirms what the paces suggest. You are running way too fast on 'easy' runs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Keep getting a feel for the slower paces and youse will be amongst the best prepared people come October.

Shoot forward 12 months and you'll be dishing this advice out to the 2019 novices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Eoineo wrote: »

I find that on my longer runs that 6-10kms are faster and stronger. I really struggle to warm up on short runs.

Welcome to the thread Eoineo.

Do you mean that you find the first few kms hard on any run? Are you going a bit fast and maybe you need to slow it down so you aren’t finding it hard. On my faster runs it’s often mile 3 before I settle into it but on an easy run I find it ok from the start. Maybe you need to be doing a warm up?
    Was requested before but I finally go around to creating a plan I'm somewhat happy with.

Unlike last year, only the one wedding before the DCM

Clontarf 1/2 plan https://imgur.com/a/FZdtYHo

DCM Plan https://imgur.com/a/RPQLc9R

Would love to hear good or bad feedback. Focusing mainly on the 10% rule. Project manager at heart, hence the excel!

Hi Brownbinman - I’m not totally comfortable commenting on a hybrid plan but my immediate thought was not enough step back weeks. I would expect there to be a step back week every 3 weeks. Why are you following a hybrid again? Would you not stick to the Boards plan and tweak it slightly if you need to.
    No
    I run 5miles in 56minutes.
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Yes. I can run 5k in about 35mins without break, but have problems with pacing myself and tend to run too fast and need 5/10seconds breaks every few KMs
    How much training do you currently do ?[I mostly get out three times a weeks. I aim for 2 5mile runs and 1 2.5m run
    What do you want to achieve?
    To cross the finish line is all! I would love love to do it sub 4 hours but not sure how realistic that is.
    How many days a week can you train?
    on average 3 times per week. some weeks I may be able to get out more.
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? That I will end up having to walk it!
    Why are you running this marathon?[/B]
    I started running at the end of January with a couch to 5k programme. I was at zero fitness(couldnt even run 0.5km). I need a goal!
    To prove to myself I can do it!

Welcome Orchidsrpretty. Well done on your C25K.

Do you use a running watch? You might be able to set an alert if your pace is too fast. If you slow down you’ll need less walking breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

So just to give you context my max HR isnt too far off yours and my easy run would never top 130 HR average. So definitely need to slow down. I know its a tricky one to grasp but how I got my head around it is if the run doesnt feel like "what the hell is the point of running this slow, its way too easy" then youre running too hard. It probably sounds stupid but easy pace should almost feel like a waste of your time.....but the key point is, its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

I've a bit of time to spare so I thought I'd write a bit up on this.

I'll start this off by saying that everyone is obsessed with speed when it comes to running. When people want to improve, all you hear is faster, intervals, tempos, speed endurance and 40 other different things. What most people don't understand is where speed mainly comes from in long distance running. If I asked every single one of you to go out and run a 200m sprint as fast as you can tomorrow morning; it would be at a much faster pace by a grand chasm than your marathon pace; common sense yes? Of course it is, what's this blithering idiot trying to say. For many of you and novice and even intermediate runners, the issue is not that you don't have the speed to run fast but it is that you don't have the endurance to hold a higher percentage of your max speed for a marathon. I'll give you a hypothetical here:

Runner A training for years with a background in high mileage.

1 mile PR: 5 minutes flat pace
    Marathon PR: 2:50(6:30 pace)

Runner B who is new to running and training for 9 months

1 Mile PR: 5:20
    Marathon PR: 3:15(7:30ish pace)

This are actual real life examples rounded off slightly to make it easier. There's only 20 seconds per mile difference between them for one mile(and runner B was actually faster over 200m) but somehow Runner A is able to run a minute per mile faster over the marathon distance. Why? Because runner B trained like an idiot:pac: and because runner A better endurance. The marathon is a test of endurance, it is the overwelmingly biggest weakness of newer runners. Endurance is speed in the marathon.

And how do you get more endurance? It's by training your aerobic system. For people who don't understand what your aerobic system is; it basically means that your body is supplying enough oxygen to your muscles from your lungs(when you run aerobically; you won't be breathing very heavily and all is going fine and dandy with your body). Then you have the anaerobic system, a lot of you guys will be familiar with this especially those of you that hammer all your runs but also from races because you will start to breath a lot more rapidily, your legs will start to burn a little and the feeling can become a little to very uncomfortable. That is because your muscles are starting to be starved of oxygen, your heart and lungs can't supply it to the muscles quick enough so your body has to try create fuel without oxygen and it can only do this for a short period of time(ever light a match and place it under a glass? It goes out much quicker depending on how oxygen it has). This is a strenous activity for your body to go through as it puts your heart, lungs and muscles under a lot of stress which is not something you want all the time as it takes a long time to recover from. Training is basically about balancing stress with recovery and finding the sweetspot, this is why you don't run hard everyday.

So how do you get faster if you can't/shouldn't push your body into an anaerobic state everyday? You go slower to get faster:pac:. Why you do this is to make your much durable and hardened aerobic system that can take more punishment better and more efficient meaning you can run a faster while your muscles have enough oxygen to feed them and that also has the knock on effect of pushing out how much faster you can run without sufficient oxygen like in a race. I hope I'm being clear enough here the faster you get aerobically the faster you will race. This is the same for even 800m runners. Endurance is that important for running. Here is how much each contributes to a marathon and an 800m race.

Marathon=99% aerobic/1%anaerobic
    800m= 65% aerobic/35%anaerobic

Even for someone training for the 800m, it is still a huge priority and easy and aerobic runs will still make up a huge proportion of an 800m runners training for the most part.

Now, why so slow? Because slow easy runs create an aerobic stress. You don't see huge bodybuilders going to the gym and doing 1 rep at their max and walking out do you? No, they do reps and sets most of the time at 70% etc etc. The theory is the same for runners as both are trying to encourage growth without hindering recovery, they're trying to strike that balance and gradually fatigue the muscles over time. So what happens when you run slow and aerobically? You make your heart and lungs more efficient by forming new capillaries in your body and increasing the number of/and closeness of the cells to the oxygen supply so you increase how much oxygen your body can absorb and how much blood your body can transport around your body(this is why your resting heartrate drops as you get fit).

Anaerobic and faster training does this too but the kicker is that the amount of time spent exercising actually outweighs the intensity in importance of creating these changes so a lower intensity is perferable as you can run further and more over not just one day but weeks and months etc because the recovery time is less when you run aerobically and at low intensity. A plateau will come eventually where you just can't get any more efficient but that requires a very high level of training over years to actually reach that point.

Just to tack on a little bit extra on this but there was a guy named Eliud Too who won the Dublin Marathon in 2014; he used to post on strava a couple of years ago and ran 2:14 for the marathon. That's 5:07 per mile or 3:11 per km pace for the marathon and he would log some runs at 10:30 per mile pace or 6:30 per km. If a 2:14 marathon runner can slow down that much and run comfortably, no one here should have any excuses:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s a brilliant post Safari. Thanks a million.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi Brownbinman - I’m not totally comfortable commenting on a hybrid plan but my immediate thought was not enough step back weeks. I would expect there to be a step back week every 3 weeks. Why are you following a hybrid again? Would you not stick to the Boards plan and tweak it slightly if you need to.

Thanks Kellygirl, I had completely forgot about stepback weeks, will go back and work it out better with them in

Much appreciated

• Advertisement

Safiri wrote: »
    I've a bit of time to spare so I thought I'd write a bit up on this.

I'll start this off by saying that everyone is obsessed with speed when it comes to running. When people want to improve, all you hear is faster, intervals, tempos, speed endurance and 40 other different things. What most people don't understand is where speed mainly comes from in long distance running. If I asked every single one of you to go out and run a 200m sprint as fast as you can tomorrow morning; it would be at a much faster pace by a grand chasm than your marathon pace; common sense yes? Of course it is, what's this blithering idiot trying to say. For many of you and novice and even intermediate runners, the issue is not that you don't have the speed to run fast but it is that you don't have the endurance to hold a higher percentage of your max speed for a marathon. I'll give you a hypothetical here:

Runner A training for years with a background in high mileage.

1 mile PR: 5 minutes flat pace
    Marathon PR: 2:50(6:30 pace)

Runner B who is new to running and training for 9 months

1 Mile PR: 5:20
    Marathon PR: 3:15(7:30ish pace)

This are actual real life examples rounded off slightly to make it easier. There's only 20 seconds per mile difference between them for one mile(and runner B was actually faster over 200m) but somehow Runner A is able to run a minute per mile faster over the marathon distance. Why? Because runner B trained like an idiot:pac: and because runner A better endurance. The marathon is a test of endurance, it is the overwelmingly biggest weakness of newer runners. Endurance is speed in the marathon.

And how do you get more endurance? It's by training your aerobic system. For people who don't understand what your aerobic system is; it basically means that your body is supplying enough oxygen to your muscles from your lungs(when you run aerobically; you won't be breathing very heavily and all is going fine and dandy with your body). Then you have the anaerobic system, a lot of you guys will be familiar with this especially those of you that hammer all your runs but also from races because you will start to breath a lot more rapidily, your legs will start to burn a little and the feeling can become a little to very uncomfortable. That is because your muscles are starting to be starved of oxygen, your heart and lungs can't supply it to the muscles quick enough so your body has to try create fuel without oxygen and it can only do this for a short period of time(ever light a match and place it under a glass? It goes out much quicker depending on how oxygen it has). This is a strenous activity for your body to go through as it puts your heart, lungs and muscles under a lot of stress which is not something you want all the time as it takes a long time to recover from. Training is basically about balancing stress with recovery and finding the sweetspot, this is why you don't run hard everyday.

So how do you get faster if you can't/shouldn't push your body into an anaerobic state everyday? You go slower to get faster:pac:. Why you do this is to make your much durable and hardened aerobic system that can take more punishment better and more efficient meaning you can run a faster while your muscles have enough oxygen to feed them and that also has the knock on effect of pushing out how much faster you can run without sufficient oxygen like in a race. I hope I'm being clear enough here the faster you get aerobically the faster you will race. This is the same for even 800m runners. Endurance is that important for running. Here is how much each contributes to a marathon and an 800m race.

Marathon=99% aerobic/1%anaerobic
    800m= 65% aerobic/35%anaerobic

Even for someone training for the 800m, it is still a huge priority and easy and aerobic runs will still make up a huge proportion of an 800m runners training for the most part.

Now, why so slow? Because slow easy runs create an aerobic stress. You don't see huge bodybuilders going to the gym and doing 1 rep at their max and walking out do you? No, they do reps and sets most of the time at 70% etc etc. The theory is the same for runners as both are trying to encourage growth without hindering recovery, they're trying to strike that balance and gradually fatigue the muscles over time. So what happens when you run slow and aerobically? You make your heart and lungs more efficient by forming new capillaries in your body and increasing the number of/and closeness of the cells to the oxygen supply so you increase how much oxygen your body can absorb and how much blood your body can transport around your body(this is why your resting heartrate drops as you get fit).

Anaerobic and faster training does this too but the kicker is that the amount of time spent exercising actually outweighs the intensity in importance of creating these changes so a lower intensity is perferable as you can run further and more over not just one day but weeks and months etc because the recovery time is less when you run aerobically and at low intensity. A plateau will come eventually where you just can't get any more efficient but that requires a very high level of training over years to actually reach that point.

Just to tack on a little bit extra on this but there was a guy named Eliud Too who won the Dublin Marathon in 2014; he used to post on strava a couple of years ago and ran 2:14 for the marathon. That's 5:07 per mile or 3:11 per km pace for the marathon and he would log some runs at 10:30 per mile pace or 6:30 per km. If a 2:14 marathon runner can slow down that much and run comfortably, no one here should have any excuses:p

Safiri brilliant post - thank you. If anyone hasn't read it then read it! And if you have read it then READ IT AGAIN and if you've read it again then read the last paragraph a 3rd time!!!

Advertisement