Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I can't carry enough water but outside of that I would be treating anything I get from the course to be a bonus, the vital items will be coming with me.

Don’t worry about water at all. The stations are fantastic and you won’t miss out. The only one that’s fairly conjested is the first one at 3 miles. Depending on the weather you could plan to skip it and just stay in the centre of the road or carry your own small bottle for the first while.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

https://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Womens-Running-Shorts-With-Pockets-s/1842.htm

Best shorts you can buy to carry gels and stuff. Lots of pockets. I got a pair for my first dcm in 2013 and am still wearing them. Worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ultrawoman wrote: »
    https://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Womens-Running-Shorts-With-Pockets-s/1842.htm

Best shorts you can buy to carry gels and stuff. Lots of pockets. I got a pair for my first dcm in 2013 and am still wearing them. Worth every penny.

Thanks A. Sadly I don't think they'd suit me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks A. Sadly I don't think they'd suit me. :pac:

Course they’d suit ya, nice pair of pink compression socks and you’d look delish!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Course they’d suit ya, nice pair of pink compression socks and you’d luck delish!!!

Damo is the young man for compression socks and looking delish. I'll leave it to him :D

* Sorry for the derail folks...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I used the arm strap for my phone to carry the energy gels before and it worked fine. You can easily fit 4-5 energy gels into it and it is out of the way.
    I dont bring a phone with me on the day so it comes in useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

It can take up to 20 minutes to get into the system in an effective way. The science is pretty clear on the optimal fueling strategy but most people can't face the idea of consuming the suggested amounts. What did you use last year D?

I think I took 4 gels at roughly miles 6,11,16,21. Plus some jelly babaies and cliff blok shots. the mrs also gave me a banana in castleknock. I'll probably stick with a similar enough plan this year. I tend to get/feel very hungry on longer races or runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

[QUOTEHow are people carrying these? Soft question I know! I don't have one of those belts and all the shorts I have only have a small zip pocket at the back that can just about accommodate 1 70g gel.][/QUOTE]

I run with a little running bun bag, its really light and not bulky or anything, Is holds my gels, a snickers bar maybe, phone for spotify, a 5 euro note(picking up a water in the shop if needed) and at atm card if i need more cash for any unexpected emergency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I have to run my lsr of 12 miles on Sunday morning into two parts. I plan on running 7 miles in the morning, home by 10 and then running a 5 mile local run at 11 o'clock. This will be ran at an easy/lsr pace. Is an hour between the two runs too much? Should I aim for less time between runs? Does it make any difference?

gypsylee wrote: »
    I have to break my lsr of 12 miles on Sunday morning into two parts. I plan on running 7 miles in the morning, home by 10 and then running a 5 mile local run at 11 o'clock. This will be ran at an easy/lsr pace. Is an hour between the two runs too much? Should I aim for less time between runs? Does it make any difference?

Can't comment on the pace, I wouldn't be able to get going again though!

Also - just a heads up to all, the weather forecast for Sunday is very bad until late afternoon. I'm going out tomorrow as a result for 16 miles.

Just reading the thread about cyclists being robbed along the Grand Canal - has anybody had any experience of this around Rialto/Crumlin/etc? I was hoping to go run that part of the route this weekend but this has put me off completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Haha, all this talk of fueling is starting to freak me out a little.

Need to keep rememebering there will be water stations and they will be handing out gels if - for whatever reason - I find myself in need of emergency fueling.

Not that I will be standing at that start line unprepared. I'm just starting to think about it a lot more now than I was say, 4 or 5 weeks ago. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have to run my lsr of 12 miles on Sunday morning into two parts. I plan on running 7 miles in the morning, home by 10 and then running a 5 mile local run at 11 o'clock. This will be ran at an easy/lsr pace. Is an hour between the two runs too much? Should I aim for less time between runs? Does it make any difference?

gypsylee it would be better if you could string the 2 runs together. Could you plan the 7 miles so that it finishes close to the start of the race, giving yourself 5 mins or so before the race. I think having an hour break between the race will take from the effectiveness of the long run and it will be hard to get moving again an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

coogy wrote: »
    Haha, all this talk of fueling is starting to freak me out a little.

Need to keep rememebering there will be water stations and they will be handing out gels if - for whatever reason - I find myself in need of emergency fueling.

Not that I will be standing at that start line unprepared. I'm just starting to think about it a lot more now than I was say, 4 or 5 weeks ago. :o

Yeah I'm thinking the day of the marathon will be grand. At the moment for long runs, I'm running with water bottles, hiding them at the base of trees, looping back to my house to replace bottles etc.
    It'll be hydration heaven with all these stations in the marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

I have to break my lsr of 12 miles on Sunday morning into two parts.   I plan on running 7 miles in the morning, home by 10  and then running a 5 mile local run at 11 o'clock.    This will be ran at an easy/lsr pace.    Is an hour between the two runs too much?  Should I aim for less time between runs?   Does it make any difference?

Can't comment on the pace, I wouldn't be able to get going again though!

Also - just a heads up to all, the weather forecast for Sunday is very bad until late afternoon. I'm going out tomorrow as a result for 16 miles.

Just reading the thread about cyclists being robbed along the Grand Canal - has anybody had any experience of this around Rialto/Crumlin/etc? I was hoping to go run that part of the route this weekend but this has put me off completely.
    You'll be absolutely fine, I ran the canal last weekend taking in the Dolphins Barn, Crumlin and Walkinstown and I'll be doing the same tonight

Just a note though, if you do run that route and you are about to be robbed....... don't run away too quick now or you'll have Skyblue46 given out about your pace being too quick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

ariana` wrote: »
    gypsylee it would be better if you could string the 2 runs together. Could you plan the 7 miles so that it finishes close to the start of the race, giving yourself 5 mins or so before the race. I think having an hour break between the race will take from the effectiveness of the long run and it will be hard to get moving again an hour later.

I thought that might be a better plan alright. Just wanted it confirmed that that was the best way to run it. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I regularly run around here and have had no issues. Canal path around Rialto and Drimnagh are beside a busy road and the luas line in parts so lots of activity. Also tons of runners. It’s much quieter past the black horse.

That being said I wouldn’t really go near it at night but mostly because it’s pitch dark in places.

My Wave number email just arrived. Keep an eye on your inboxes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

My Wave number email just arrived. Keep an eye on your inboxes!!

Just got mine too. My Garmin has just showed a spike in my heart rate for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Yeah, the 3:30 pacer has been moved back to Wave II this year. I was put in Wave I though.....hmmm are they trying to tell me something!

Will more than likely drop back to Wave II though.....I think I might need the pacers to keep the adrenaline in check over the first few miles.

Yeah, the 3:30 pacer has been moved back to Wave II this year. I was put in Wave I though.....hmmm are they trying to tell me something!

Will more than likely drop back to Wave II though.....I think I might need the pacers to keep the adrenaline in check over the first few miles.

I'm in the same position. At least there's no problem dropping down waves. Moving up is practically impossible I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Something worth mentioning to a few of ye, set up Apple or Google Pay on your phone provided your phone and bank support it and you won’t have to bring any change or notes. So handy if you are bringing your phone on runs anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got mine too just now, scary stuff! Planned pace is between pacers, actually happy enough with that as less likely to be bunched up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Got mine too, my heart just skipped a beat.....probably not half as many as it will on 26th October!

Got mine too, my heart just skipped a beat.....probably not half as many as it will on 26th October!

At the number pick up? Yeah that's when it all starts to feel nerve tingling! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just cross start line a 1-2 minute after schedule start. More than likely chipped time so time won’t be effected and you’ll feel great passing people all the way than getting passed and your head might go and you’ll feel awful.

I just got my confirmation there and I'm in Wave 3 (9.30 with pacers for 4.00, 4.10, and 4.20)

Bit disappointed. Should I be?

I just got my confirmation there and I'm in Wave 3 (9.30 with pacers for 4.00, 4.10, and 4.20)

Bit disappointed. Should I be?

The way your training is going your well sub 4, getting moved up is next nigh on impossible though. I’d be disappointed a tad alright.

The way your training is going your well sub 4, getting moved up is next nigh on impossible though. I’d be disappointed a tad alright.

How are they assigned then?

Is it anything to do with an option I selected during the registration or is it completely random?

How are they assigned then?

Is it anything to do with an option I selected during the registration or is it completely random?

Did you give a possible finishing time at registration? Only thing I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Did you give a possible finishing time at registration? Only thing I can think of.

It's based on the expected finish time you chose on registration. What time do you expect to run? Are you planning on following the pacers?

Advertisement