Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

On the shoe thing - I’ve had 14 pairs of same shoe model through five years of small design changes but every pair - to me - feels pretty good, and importantly the ‘fit’ has never changed. (Some models have felt more comfortable however.) Have never experienced any significant difference between pairs of exact same model, but I guess it could happen, especially if you wear one down over the 900 miles mentioned above and then switch to a fresh pair. If you buy two pairs, far better to rotate them and wear both down evenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Moving on from "Shoe Gate", is there any particular part of the course tomorrow that we should be prepared far ?

Is there many Novices doing the 1/2 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Moving on from "Shoe Gate", is there any particular part of the course tomorrow that we should be prepared far ?

yeah I'll be there, going to try and race it.

...hoping the wind dies down first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

I think it just gives rain tomorrow, so I'll be delighted with that. I'll be about before and after the race if any of you's want to organise a meet up again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That sounds like a solid guideline, better go shopping! What’s everyone’s choice of marathon shoe? I’m looking at the adidas solarboost

Mizuno Waveriders for me. I've had 2 pairs and have found them very good. I've to pick up a new pair of runners this week, so if they have these in RunLogic, I'll just get them again I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think it's too bad a route Rossi, Acre's road at mile 11 can be quite exposed and windy, and the Upper Glen at mile 12 has a drag for a fair bit but nothing too bad.

I'm doing it as well, and missed the meet-up last time, so will say hello if there's one this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck to all of the novices racing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the race reports already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I'm doing the Half tomorrow too. Hopefully I'll manage to pace the run properly this time, unlike the 10km and 10 mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Good luck to everyone running the half tomorrow - Really wish I was doing it! Fingers crossed for better weather for ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pick a meet-up point - does the 2fm coach thing still go to these things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

RayCun wrote: »
    pick a meet-up point - does the 2fm coach thing still go to these things?

Do 2fm still exist?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Do 2fm still exist?? :D

do people still listen to the radio? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

There's a thread over in events with some talk of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Good luck to you all tomorrow and hope the training is going well.

I saw you guys discussing runners... my experience might help:

The only runner that suits my feet are asics kayano. I loved the 21 model and had no issues other than the odd blister on very long runs. Applying vaseline to the area usually sorted that though.

I then naturally went on to buy the newer models. I can't rememebr the exact number models I tried but they were AWFUL. Achey feet, bad blisters and they felt HEAVY. Really were awful. So I had to go on ebay to try and find older pairs of 21s for sale.

I took a chance on kayano 24s after seeing a brand new pair for sale for just €60 on ebay. They are the BEST running shoes I've had to date. I don't even need to apply vaseline and touch wood have had no issues with blisters (I've done two 18 milers, a 19, 20, and a 21 miler with them so far this year).

They're also much lighter than the previous models, even the 21s. Kayano 24 are my new favorites!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Im heading up this evening and "hoping " to complete the half tomorrow.
    Im up for a meet up!.
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a nearby public leisure centre/ swimming pool where i could get a quick shower and a few mins in hot tub. Must drive back to Killarney again tomorrow evening and i have to checked out of the hotel before the race, so i thought it would make more sense to pay the few euro for pool rather than the late check out in hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

sann wrote: »
    Im up for a meet up!.
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a nearby public leisure centre/ swimming pool where i could get a quick shower and a few mins in hot tub. Must drive back to Killarney again tomorrow evening and i have to checked out of the hotel before the race, so i thought it would make more sense to pay the few euro for pool rather than the late check out in hotel.

Clondalkin or Ballyfermot public pools might be a good option - would be more or less on the way back to n7 anyway

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Im up for a meet up!.

Clondalkin or Ballyfermot public pools might be a good option - would be more or less on the way back to n7 anyway
    Perfect.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Im up for a meet up!.

There's always the Markievicz leisure centre in town. It's a 5 minute walk from O'Connell bridge.

coogy wrote: »
    Im up for a meet up!.

There's always the Markievicz leisure centre in town. It's a 5 minute walk from O'Connell bridge.
    Cheers. Sounds good. Might be handier to find a spot within walking distance of the line that getting in to the car like a drowned rat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

best of luck to everyone competing in the dublin half marathon tomorrow!

it will be my longest race to date having only competed in a handful of 10ks, most recently was run in the dark nov 2017 where i got a PB of 48 minutes for the 10

training for this marathon has been a bit up and down for me having sustained a nasty injury playing football to the same ankle i twisted around a year ago, long story short is that regular running in preparation for DCM 2018 only really commenced in early august.

have a few 20k under my belt with longest run to date as being 25k, still a bit to go to build up distance before tapering down and am looking forward to tomorrows run for the buzz of it! plus weather meant to be dry enough and not windy so what more can ya ask for.

am under no illusions that tomorrow is going to be walk in the park (there might be a pun in there something i think) but if i finish under 2 hours i will be happy, i think that is achievable as i run most of my training runs at round 5.30 per km and the long slow runs at around 6.15 ish per km

anyway, time to eat some pasta! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I'm doing the half tomorrow too. I'm very tempted to give it my all instead of PMP as I did with the 10 miler in Swords.

I'd love to say hi if there's a meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Best of luck tomorrow everyone! Looking forward to reading reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck to everyone racing the half tomorrow! I was in the phoenix park this morning for a run and saw all the signs up for it, exciting!

I ran the first half ish of the DCM route as part of my LSR this morning - I'm hoping I can blame some of it on the wind but it was tough! I know people talk about the hill coming up to Castleknock (which didn't seem too bad actually?) but there's one between Chapelizod and Kilmainham that's brutal! :eek:
    I'd like to put in an order now for a nice still, dry day on the 28th please. Mentors, you guys can sort that right?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

eyrie wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone racing the half tomorrow! I was in the phoenix park this morning for a run and saw all the signs up for it, exciting!

I ran the first half ish of the DCM route as part of my LSR this morning - I'm hoping I can blame some of it on the wind but it was tough! I know people talk about the hill coming up to Castleknock (which didn't seem too bad actually?) but there's one between Chapelizod and Kilmainham that's brutal! :eek:
    I'd like to put in an order now for a nice still, dry day on the 28th please. Mentors, you guys can sort that right?? :pac:

Agree with you there, think that's called st Lawrence's road, it was towards the end of the RnR half, it was brutal!

Best of luck to ye all racing tmrw, look forward to reading the reports and seeing the strava updates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

eyrie wrote: »

Sadly nothing we can do about the weather! Haha. Personally I just prepare for the worst so I did my tempo on Wednesday morning at the heights of the storm and will resist the temptation to do my LSR tomorrow and save it for Sunday which is forecast to be very wet!!

On a more serious note this is an ideal opportunity to address the topic of the first 10k of DCM. It is this section and it's relatively benign appearance which leads to people underestimating it and running it too fast. It's not what you feel that does the damage but what it takes out of you for the next 32k of DCM. Heartbreak hill and St Laurences Road are there for you to see and respect and feel. Kms 3-10 in DCM are like an invisible killer which sucks your energy away without you noticing until 20k later!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Have a great half tomorrow, everyone, most of all enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow everybody. Looking forward to the reports after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck to all doing the race series half tomorrow, and hope you all enjoy it!
    Will be watching the uploads on Strava 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. The last hurrah before the big one! Don't start too fast but give it socks! Most of all enjoy, enjoy the atmosphere and the sense of occasion. You're all well prepared for a measly half marathon - no bother to you ;) And don't forget the most important part of any race - the post race report :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm doing the half tomorrow too. I'm very tempted to give it my all instead of PMP as I did with the 10 miler in Swords.

I'd love to say hi if there's a meet up.

Race it! Careful first half and then see what you can give with a gradual increase in pace

Advertisement