Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Best of luck tomorrow everyone!
    I’m hoping to be disciplined enough to stay with the 2:30 pacer instead of racing ahead like I usually end up doing. I’m going to get the Luas in instead of a lift in the hope of doing 5 miles after the run. Mileage has been disgraceful this week, I need a bit of cop on so I’m hoping the extra few miles will give me the kick I need to get back into the right frame of mind, I feel like I’ve taken a massive leap backwards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

perfect conditions this morning! no wind or rain forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

Long run done and dusted for myself early this morning. After struggling on the last long run (29K) a few week ago, I decided to head out with the local running group early this morning to give myself some company. Helped immensely I felt to go with a group this morning. They paced it to where I wanted to be as well so that helped. They did have two brief stops set up for water/jellies collection points - something I thought would annoy me - but the fact their was was where I wanted it to be meant they didn't affect me rhythm as much as I thought it would. So nice to have the company for that length of time, even if sometimes the conversation was about the houses we passed or what turn-off to take! Delighted after the struggles of the 29K run a few weeks ago to get this one in as well.

Looking forward, i'm swapping my long runs for the next two weeks. The weekend I'm supposed to put in a 32K, I will be in Sweden for the weekend to catch some ice hockey. I'm planning to wear a comfortable pair of runners and try to at least get in a 5K though while I'm there. So instead, I'm making the long trek up to Donegal next weekend to take part in their 3/4 Marathon. The things we do for mileage, right? Doing an overnighter at least so can spend some quality time with the wife (and she can also drive me home after!) and as I found out today, there are benefits to running amongst others when going long distances. With that in mind, I'll probably tweak my mid-week runs to give myself the best run-up for the weekend as well. Just about over the biggest hill in training now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was worried about the Dublin half-marathon today, have to admit. I'm hoping for a sub-4 marathon and I had heard so many times how sub-4 isn't realistic if you can't do sub 1.50 in the half. My PB for the half was 2.02, and while I thought I had 1.50 in me I also knew it would be a push and I would need things to go well for it to happen. Then today I woke up with a cramp in my right calf, and unfortunately I could feel the strain in that calf from very early in the race, and then further pains on the right side as the race went on.

So, I needed sub 1.50. And I got 1.44, would that do instead? :D

Absolutely delighted with my race today. I started slighter faster than my goal pace but felt comfortable so decided just to go with it. After halfway I realised I was still comfortable and only had 10k to go so just let the pace pick up again. So I have a big negative split for the race, took 17 minutes off my half marathon PB, and most importantly sub 4 for the marathon is most definitely on!

I'm not one for getting too worked up but I have to admit, I am delighted with that and I think its really going to give me a boost leading up to DCM itself, I know I can do it now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Haven't posted in a while.

HHN1 marathon training was taking it's toll on me - long runs increased a bit too quickly and knee (injured last year) was becoming unhappy.

A few weeks back, in a sensible move, I reconsidered my target from DCM2018 to a later marathon and made today's half the main goal. Followed HHN1 Half Marathon instead - luckily knee held up ok during training.

Really enjoyed today's run - well organised, weather couldn't be more perfect.

McMillan predicted 2:05 based on July's 10k time but got 2:00:37 so was delighted (additional training, plus huge difference in weather conditions).

Took it slower during the first half and was able to pick it up during second half. Great lift overtaking everyone. Gave it my all during the last 3 miles. Happy with negative split - second half was 4mins faster than first. Sub-2 should be achievable next time!

The hill around mile 8 (past Farmleigh) was a real killer! Funny how the other drags in the park feel like nothing @ LSR pace but are tough @ HM pace!

Hope everyone was happy with their run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I was worried about the Dublin half-marathon today, have to admit. I'm hoping for a sub-4 marathon and I had heard so many times how sub-4 isn't realistic if you can't do sub 1.50 in the half. My PB for the half was 2.02, and while I thought I had 1.50 in me I also knew it would be a push and I would need things to go well for it to happen. Then today I woke up with a cramp in my right calf, and unfortunately I could feel the strain in that calf from very early in the race, and then further pains on the right side as the race went on.

Absolutely delighted with my race today. I started slighter faster than my goal pace but felt comfortable so decided just to go with it. After halfway I realised I was still comfortable and only had 10k to go so just let the pace pick up again. So I have a big negative split for the race, took 17 minutes off my half marathon PB, and most importantly sub 4 for the marathon is most definitely on!

I'm not one for getting too worked up but I have to admit, I am delighted with that and I think its really going to give me a boost leading up to DCM itself, I know I can do it now!

That’s a brilliant result well done

Firstly sorry I couldn’t meet up pre race- time got away from me.

So to start I knocked 2mins off my pb, chip time 1:51:39 so I’m delighted with that....genuine question am I still too slow for a sub4?

So to the race itself, I had put a bit of pressure on myself in lead up, I really wanted a see a time to put the sub4 notions out of my head (or not!) now it’s just still lingering there!!

Not sure what happened with my stomach, usually I’ve a stomach of a sailor, but from mile 2 to the finish I had horrible feeling of stomach cramps, really felt like puking several times! So to be honest I hated every step of the race. But there was no way I was leaving a time out there and I tried to keep my pace where I needed it to be even if I felt sh*t throughout.

So it all went by in a blur but delighted with a new pb!

The route was great and well organised as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Very happy with how today went :)
    I knew I wouldn’t be able to race it so decided to do 5 miles before and 2 after. After 20 miles and I felt I could have happily kept going, and that was carrying a heavy goodie bag! I guess the week of carb-loading done me some good :D

I forgot to bring any gels or food with me, so I risked a cup of lucozade at mile 9. It gave me an instant boost and didn’t affect my stomach, so I’m gonna bring a little bottle on my LSRs in future. (That Heineken 0% from the goodie bag is horrific stuff, but the tshirt is really nice so that made up for it. Also I thought from the photos online that the medal had a whale on it - I see now it’s a squirrel!)

How many recovery miles should I do tomorrow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Some brilliant LSR's and times for the half appearing on the Strava, fair play everyone!

I managed a PB, 1:58:06, was aiming for sub 2 so I'm really delighted with that, nearly 3 mins quicker than my Half in Cork in June. Missed any meet-up if there was one tho. Approached one group at the 2FM van afterwards asking if they were from boards, and they looked at me like I had 2 heads so I lost my nerve after that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

The main question now lads is do I have a hot bath or a cold bath?

The half went really well for me. I suffered at the Frank Duffy 10 mile but today I felt great the whole way around.

Took it handy for the first few, maybe a touch too handy. Pushed on a bit from mile 5. Had to stop for a toilet break around mile 11. Finished strong and I think I could of taken a few more minutes off. I was aiming for 1:50 and thought I was coming in under that but ended up with an official time of 1:53:00. I don't know how I had the maths wrong but C'est la vie. I'll have to remember to turn auto pause off on the watch next time.

I lost my mate and didn't have my phone. It was a long walk back to the car in a wet t shirt with my fingers crossed he'd be there. Foolishly we didn't pick a spot to meet up after. Won't make that mistake again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Couldn’t have asked for more perfect conditions today at the half.

No wind... drizzle of rain... and winters cold (9degrees ish)... can stop me baby....
    my wonky attempt at Marvin Gaye :)))

But anywayyyys just got below 2 hours by 10 seconds :) absolutely delighted with that. Let’s hope for similar on marathon day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Well done to all in their half marathons, getting a boost from reading the reports.

Tough week training this week with the weather and a head cold(likely brought on by last weekends over exertions I know).

Skipped my 6 mile run on Monday as was after 9pm when I got out of work and it was spilling rain. Turned out to be a mistake as I felt too fresh for my 8 mile Fartlek session on Tuesday. Ran the fast intervals too hard and felt my left calf tighten up at 6 miles. Slowed right down and finished at a steady slow pace. Perhaps should have stopped straight away but I didn't know if it was bad or not. Lesson learned to keep pace of Fartleks under control especially when fresh.
    Ran 6 miles very slow on Weds but still felt the calf tight so took Thursday off and just stretched and foam rolled.
    Managed 6 miles Friday slow, 8 miles today slow again so hopefully will be ok for my 20 mile LSR tomorrow.

SkyBlue46 has been trying to get us all to slow down, I was listening for the most part for the longer runs(after initially going far too fast for the first month of training till I found this forum) but now realise I was pushing myself to close to 100% for the fast pace portion of the Fartlek sessions. For me anyway this is too much pace to maintain on/off for 8miles. Another lesson learned.
    Driving to Carrick-On-Suir in 20mins to pick up new pair of Ascics GT-2000. Same as last pair, selection very limited in size 13 so I'm glad to get anything that fits. Looking forward to breaking them in slowly(obviously not on my LSR tomorrow).

Best of luck to everyone else that still has their LSR to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

kittyclaws wrote: »

2 miles should be plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Well done everybody who raced this weekend!!

Got my 16 mile LSR done this morning and enjoyed every step of it. It probably was a little bit fast for me as we finished it in 2.35 but the lungs and legs were in sync so felt happy enough. Between about 12.5 and 13 was tough as I had to run past my car in order to start the loop of my last 3 mile so had to battle hard with the temptation of just calling it a day and going home!

I didn’t get out much this week. Did an 8k on Tuesday and a 5k on Thursday before the lash came on. I’m back living and working in Dublin during the week and finding it tough having to stop at traffic lights all the time or having to stop/jump into the road because people seem to have to walk 3 people a breadth (even in quieter suburban areas). Did a nice 14 mile route last week though taking in a good chunk of the marathon route and only had the traffic light/pedestrian problem for the last 2 miles home through Smithfield and Phibs.

So yeah roll on 18 next week with hopefully a few longer mid week runs and the Longwood 3/4 the weekend after! The end is in sight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I really enjoyed the half marathon. After my disasters in the 10km and 10 mile I really needed this one to go well. Stuck at a nice slow pace of 7.30 per km for most of it. Enjoyed seeing parts of the park I did not know. Didn't notice the hills except for the one at mile 12. I was hoping for under 2 hours 40 minutes and chip time is 3 hours 36 minutes so happy with that. A lovely event and great weather for a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant reports, keep them coming! I'm delighted so many of you are happy with how it went :)
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

So to start I knocked 2mins off my pb, chip time 1:51:39 so I’m delighted with that....genuine question am I still too slow for a sub4?

So to the race itself, I had put a bit of pressure on myself in lead up, I really wanted a see a time to put the sub4 notions out of my head (or not!) now it’s just still lingering there!!

Not sure what happened with my stomach, usually I’ve a stomach of a sailor, but from mile 2 to the finish I had horrible feeling of stomach cramps, really felt like puking several times! So to be honest I hated every step of the race. But there was no way I was leaving a time out there and I tried to keep my pace where I needed it to be even if I felt sh*t throughout.

Well done on the big PB! I think if you look at the thread i posted a link to earlier in the week that sub 4 might be a little bit optimistic unfortunately. Do you think feeling off today slowed you down much if at all? I'm sure there are always outliers who prove all the generic formulas wrong but my fear is that you go out at 4hr pace and it ends up too fast and you struggle in the 2nd half. An option might be to start at 4:03 pace and at half-way make a call if you're feeling good then try for a negative split and sub 4 and if not stick with the pace to bring you in sub 4:05. I guess this could be called a very conservative start for a sub 4 attempt. You'll see what i mean if you use this pace band generator and select 'very conservative start' as your Start Strategy - i think it brings you through half-way in 2:01:30 (4:03 pace), a negative split of 1:3x will give you a sub 4 (but of course you need to allow a bit extra as you'll probably run a bit more than 26.2). Just putting it out there as an option for you.
    kittyclaws wrote: »
    Very happy with how today went :)
    I knew I wouldn’t be able to race it so decided to do 5 miles before and 2 after. After 20 miles and I felt I could have happily kept going, and that was carrying a heavy goodie bag! I guess the week of carb-loading done me some good :D

I forgot to bring any gels or food with me, so I risked a cup of lucozade at mile 9. It gave me an instant boost and didn’t affect my stomach, so I’m gonna bring a little bottle on my LSRs in future. (That Heineken 0% from the goodie bag is horrific stuff, but the tshirt is really nice so that made up for it. Also I thought from the photos online that the medal had a whale on it - I see now it’s a squirrel!)

2-3 miles will be perfect, nice and slow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

On the sub 4 Marathon.. a lot will tell you no you have no chance. I think you have every chance. Ask yourself honestly how you felt after that today. Were you absolutely knackered with out another ounce to give or could you have given more? Could you have done a quicker pace and held it for the full 13.1.

You ran at 8.30min/miles today. No reason with proper pacing you can't hold say 9:05min/mile pace for a Marathon. That would be my opinion anyway. Plenty will disagree but no one only yourself can know how you felt today at the end and if you feel you could hold a much slower pace than you ran today for twice today's distance.

If you can hold 8.30min/mile for 13 miles with a dodgy tummy as you described above then with a bit more training and proper pacing on the day of DCM I think you can go sub 4hr. I get the sense from your post that you'll regret it if you don't go for it.
    I did a sub 4 in 2016 off a 1:52 half. Followed the 4hr Pacer the whole way and while I was flagging near the end I got my sub 4. Plenty of MP miles in training really helped.

Well done on today and the great time. Best of luck for DCM whatever time you decide to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I enjoyed the half today though was disappointed in my time. I wanted 2:10 and got 2:14. My only other HM was 2:18 so at least it's an improvement. Still, I really thought I could do it. I run a lot in the park and thought the familiarity would help me finish quicker.

I might have started slightly too fast but I kept thinking hey you're not here for a stroll, you have to earn this!

I did have a strong "eye of the tiger" finish so I'm happy with that part of my performance!! Ha, ha!

No small t shirts left when I finished. It's a nice one too.

Was there a mention of some of us possibly meeting at the FM104 bus? I lingered near it for a little while trying to politely earwig to the runners beside me but I didn't recognise anyone.

Then I headed home to great fuss as my guys had been tracking me all morning.
    13 weeks down, 5 to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Go the Novices!!!

Wow guys, just caught up here and I love how well everybody is doing. PBs left right and centre, people enjoying 16 mile runs, finishing 20 mile runs with more in you etc etc. You are all amazing. Look how far you have come. This is what it’s all about.

Kudos to the lot of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Well done on the half marathons today!

Thank you everyone who gave me the advice on the hydration etc. The LSR runs paid off for me today. I brought a double bottle belt and found it fantastic. Happy out with breaking the 3 hour mark which is a Pb for me on my second HM. I felt very comfortable most of the way around but struggled with the final hill. There was only 30 seconds difference on the split so I suspect it was more in my head than physical.

Onwards to the next LSR next week and an EOI 20 mile the following weekend before tapering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done everyone on yer Half Marathon runs, great performances one and all.

Had a bit of a head cold the last few days so was iffy about doing the long run today but told myself to cop on and give it a go or I would regret not doing it.
    Run went well and managed to bang out just over 20 miles. Have to concentrate more on the first few miles, I’m continually finding myself running them faster than I should despite myself.
    Only seen 2 people out during the whole run, first lad I never seen at all until he said Hello and hopped the life out of me! Second lad offered me a weanling (a farming thing for ye City folk) and seemed annoyed I didn’t stop to discuss a deal!
    “Enjoyed” a 15 minute soak of the legs in cold bath afterwards and found it had great effect on my legs for the rest of the day.

Looked at a YouTube video last night of dash cam footage of the 2016 course (I presume it hasn’t changed much since) just to get an idea of where it goes and there are only a few sections I would really know. Looking at the miles speed by in about 5mins made me wonder are Dublin City miles longer than Roscommon back road ones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Looked at a YouTube video last night of dash cam footage of the 2016 course (I presume it hasn’t changed much since) just to get an idea of where it goes and there are only a few sections I would really know. Looking at the miles speed by in about 5mins made me wonder are Dublin City miles longer than Roscommon back road ones :pac:

Found that clip on YouTube too. I recognised about 5% of the route, but with the quality of information I'm getting around here I don't expect that lack of local knowledge will be much of an impediment.

Well done to everyone who completed the half today, lots of great performances. Only five weeks to go until the big day!

Casey78 wrote: »
    On the sub 4 Marathon.. a lot will tell you no you have no chance. I think you have every chance. Ask yourself honestly how you felt after that today. Were you absolutely knackered with out another ounce to give or could you have given more? Could you have done a quicker pace and held it for the full 13.1.

You ran at 8.30min/miles today. No reason with proper pacing you can't hold say 9:05min/mile pace for a Marathon. That would be my opinion anyway. Plenty will disagree but no one only yourself can know how you felt today at the end and if you feel you could hold a much slower pace than you ran today for twice today's distance.

If you can hold 8.30min/mile for 13 miles with a dodgy tummy as you described above then with a bit more training and proper pacing on the day of DCM I think you can go sub 4hr. I get the sense from your post that you'll regret it if you don't go for it.
    I did a sub 4 in 2016 off a 1:52 half. Followed the 4hr Pacer the whole way and while I was flagging near the end I got my sub 4. Plenty of MP miles in training really helped.

Well done on today and the great time. Best of luck for DCM whatever time you decide to go for.

This is exactly what I wanted to read as a reply, thank you Casey78

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Didn't have a good weekend of it, had intended to do 18 but was spent at 12 for some reason. Decided to treat it as a step back weekend.
    Serious pressure now to get 18 done next weekend and 20 the following weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

That's a great result! You're in a very good place now for a sub-4 finish for DCM after a performance like that. Just remember you'll need to adapt your strategy slightly for DCM, pace-wise but if you go into it with that same mentality, I think you've every chance of a sub 4.
    How was your calf strain as you were running? Did you feel any discomfort at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

gypsylee wrote: »
    Enjoyed seeing parts of the park I did not know.

My favourite part about running in the Phoenix Park. So many unhidden gems!

ariana` wrote: »
    Brilliant reports, keep them coming! I'm delighted so many of you are happy with how it went :)

Well done on the big PB! I think if you look at the thread i posted a link to earlier in the week that sub 4 might be a little bit optimistic unfortunately. Do you think feeling off today slowed you down much if at all? I'm sure there are always outliers who prove all the generic formulas wrong but my fear is that you go out at 4hr pace and it ends up too fast and you struggle in the 2nd half. An option might be to start at 4:03 pace and at half-way make a call if you're feeling good then try for a negative split and sub 4 and if not stick with the pace to bring you in sub 4:05. I guess this could be called a very conservative start for a sub 4 attempt. You'll see what i mean if you use this pace band generator and select 'very conservative start' as your Start Strategy - i think it brings you through half-way in 2:01:30 (4:03 pace), a negative split of 1:3x will give you a sub 4 (but of course you need to allow a bit extra as you'll probably run a bit more than 26.2). Just putting it out there as an option for you.

2-3 miles will be perfect, nice and slow!

Thanks for the advice Ariana’ will take this on board

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

So it’s been a while since I last posted but thought I’d do a quick race report from the HM yesterday.

Training:
    Training has gone well so far after a bad start to the summer. No injuries or illness (touch wood), kids have been sleeping through the night (double touch wood) and I’ve managed to follow the boards plan pretty rigidly. 20 mike LSR was tough in places but generally it’s gone well.

Race:
    I’ve never felt satisfied with a HM result and had a goal of sub 1:50. In my head I felt I needed that to have a chance at sub 4. In previous years I’ve either blown up in the HM (2013) or been injured (2012) or just generally not been fit enough to get to sub 1:50. This was probably about my tenth HM with a previous PB of 1:51 and the Rock n Roll HM this year was 1:53.

So onto the race lined up in what I thought was the right corral but then notice 2:10 pacers at the front and was part of a surge to move up. Never reached the 1:50 pacers who started a good bit ahead. I’ve never really followed pace groups so was happy enough to leave them off.

Had the usual slow first mile with crowds and mentally had broken down the race into blocks of 5k with a bit of a sprint at the end. My goal was 26 mins for each 5k. First 5k was 26:30 but didn’t panic. I ran a negative split in last HM so was planning that again. On through miles 3-9 was smooth- felt ok and was consistently able to see the 1:50 balloons ahead. Pace remained steady and passed halfway bang on 55 minutes. Once we turned back onto chesterfield avenue was when the mental gun went off in my head. Picked up the pace to 8 minute miles and caught the 1:50 balloons at the last hill. Was great to finish passing people and feeling good for once instead of the usual suffering! Chip time was 1:47:30 which I’m delighted with. A big PB a long time goal achieved, I could have gone faster I think if I had pushed on earlier but that’s for another day. Now onto the DCM and hopefully sub 4!

If I had your time I would still be aiming for sub 4.

I know what the common wisdom is but its not an exact science. You ran just outside 1.50 despite not being 100%, that counts for something. And even if that was your best time, marathon pace for sub 4 is still 30 odd seconds per km slower than yesterday, who is to say you can't maintain that slower pace on the day itself?

Maybe it is a good predictor of times and come DCM you will fall a few minutes short, but I would rather try for sub 4 and fall short than not try at all. If you are struggling on the day itself you can always slow down and enjoy the run, but if you pick a slower time and find it comfortable it is a lot harder to change your mind then and chase a sub 4 from behind.

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    That's a great result! You're in a very good place now for a sub-4 finish for DCM after a performance like that. Just remember you'll need to adapt your strategy slightly for DCM, pace-wise but if you go into it with that same mentality, I think you've every chance of a sub 4.
    How was your calf strain as you were running? Did you feel any discomfort at all?

Cheers! I've gotten a great boot from yesterday, I looked at some pace predictors and they say that my time could translate into a 3.40 marathon, which I won't be going for but mentally I now feel like sub 4 isn't a pipe dream, that I could even go at a slighter faster pace than sub 4 and bank some time for any problems or issues! I'll have to give a lot of thought to what pace I decide to go with.

The calf started to ache at about 3/4km and of course got tighter as the race went on, especially any time I hit one of the hills. I was very conscious of it all the way through and was just waiting for it to reach a point where I had to stop and stretch and then try to limp home. Thankfully that point never came, it hung over me the whole way but it didn't bite and it didn't hold me back at all.

That was another nice lesson from yesterday, I had a number of aches and pains but it was as if I could acknowledge them without letting them affect my pace, I think that will stand to me if things get tough in DCM!

Advertisement