Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing Knives

• 30-04-2018 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

didn't really know where to ask this question, I figured here would be good since you lads seem to know your stuff about knives...

I've been eyeing a ganzo folding knife from Gearbest, it has an axis lock system and I'm just wondering if it's ok to simply order it and have it delivered, or will it be confiscated?

only wnating it to replace my little old swiss army knife that's gone dull and slightly rusty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lock knives are ilegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 liberx1

Lock knives are ilegal.

axis lock is what most benchmade knives use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 liberx1

Lock knives are ilegal.

forgot to mention they're for sale on Irish websites

https://www.team-alpha.ie/collections/benchmade/products/benchmade-551bk

Lock knives are ilegal.

No, they are not.

Read the statute here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/338/made/en/print

Basically, a lock knife itself is not illegal. A lock knife on which the blade opens using a sprung mechanism or which can be opened by the application of centrifugal force (be careful with this bit, especially on a worn folding lock knife) will meet the criteria set forth in the SI to allow that knife be classified as a 'flick knife'. A flick knife is illegal. A properly adjusted (meaning, suitable tension on the pivot screw is maintained) and suitably selected lock knife (ensuring no quick release or 'assisted' sprung mechanisms) on the other hand can be perfectly legal.

This isn't rocket science. If you have to manually fold the blade open and are unable (meaning, NOBODY would be able to, ever) open it by just clicking a button or applying a well practiced flick of the wrist, then your lock blade knife is NOT a flick knife. Flick knives are illegal.

Otherwise, Stanley and similar craft/DIY knives would be illegal. They're not.

You can import any knife you want as long as it is not on the prohibited list (balisong, switchblade, machete etc).

Axis locks are not considered flick knives according to the letter of the law. Some countries lately have a very loose definition of flick knife - I know in Canada they are having issues at the moment with ordinary folding knives being seized. Thankfully we are not having such issues here (that I am aware of).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Carrying a knife around would be classed as a weapon so be aware of that.

Axis locks are not considered flick knives according to the letter of the law...

Wrong, wrong, wrong information.

Jesus lads, this is simply stuff.

Here's a Ganzo axis lock being flicked open. Application of centrifugal force, making it a flick knife, as defined by the S.I. I linked above.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Wrong, wrong, wrong information.

Jesus lads, this is simply stuff.

Here's a Ganzo axis lock being flicked open. Application of centrifugal force, making it a flick knife, as defined by the S.I. I linked above.
    Wrong. Axis lock knives cannot be deployed via centrifugal force alone. It requires some preliminary manipulation of the lock bar. Until you do that, most actually have very strong detent and cannot be flicked open.
    (9) In this section “flick-knife” means a knife—

(a) which has a blade which opens when hand pressure is applied to a button, spring, lever or other device in or attached to the handle, or

(b) which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and when released is locked in an open position by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

The important part is bolded. A or B. Not both.

FYI many folding knives can be flicked open after some preliminary manipulation (eg partially opening the blade beyond the detent). By your logic they would all be prohibited. Even a traditional lockback knife like the Spyderco Delica/Endura can be flicked open if you push the lockbar down with your index finger.

Wrong. Axis lock knives cannot be deployed via centrifugal force alone. It requires some preliminary manipulation of the lock bar. Until you do that, most actually have very strong detent and cannot be flicked open.

The important part is bolded. A or B. Not both.

FYI many folding knives can be flicked open after some preliminary manipulation (eg partially opening the blade beyond the detent). By your logic they would all be prohibited. Even a traditional lockback knife like the Spyderco Delica/Endura can be flicked open if you push the lockbar down with your index finger.

This is a true statement regarding axis lock knives you recommended, right?:

The blade is released from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and when released is locked in an open position by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

Based on that video I posted, the above statement is demonstrably true and correct.

The fact that the blade is locked in the handle until the locking mechanism is released by the user is not relevant. The blade can be released from the handle via the application of centrifugal force. It therefore meets the parameters set out in section B.

Based on the S.I., those knives are flick knives.

The blade cannot be released by centrifugal force. It requires something else to release it. They are legal by the letter of the law, and that is how laws work.

The video you posted above - I can do same with a traditional lockback Spyderco Endura. I can flick it open, once I do something else first (depress the lockbar). I did it on first attempt. This is one of the most popular knives on the market, sold by many fishing and hunting stores up and down the country. Do you consider it an illegal flick knife ?

9_419960.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The blade cannot be released by centrifugal force. It requires something else to release it. They are legal by the letter of the law, and that is how laws work.

The video you posted above - I can do same with a traditional lockback Spyderco Endura. I can flick it open, once I do something else first (depress the lockbar). I did it on first attempt. This is one of the most popular knives on the market, sold by many fishing and hunting stores up and down the country. Do you consider it an illegal flick knife ?

If you aren't out fishing then yes its illegal to carry that knife, I know thats not the question you asked but but you don't need to go as far as defining as a flick knife to make it illegal under a lot of circumstances.

my3cents wrote: »
    If you aren't out fishing then yes its illegal to carry that knife, I know thats not the question you asked but but you don't need to go as far as defining as a flick knife to make it illegal under a lot of circumstances.
    The question was about importing (and owning), not carrying in public.

Certain knives cannot be owned or imported under any circumstance, that's what we are discussing in last few posts, the legality of axis-lock knives in specific. Carrying is a whole other ball game and I believe it has been well discussed in other threads on boards.ie

It's like talking to a brick wall.

You can release the locking mechanism and once this is done, you 100% meet the criteria that allow the knife to be classified as a flick knife.

The fact it has a preceeding step is absolutely irrelevant.

You can flick the knife open into a locked position. It's a flick knife.

Edit: I'm done with this pedantry. Unsubbed from thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I don't carry an Opinel with a loose twist lock and hinge anymore because its no different to a flick knife. I could have it out of my pocket and open before it reached waist height. Now I wouldn't define every Opinel knife as a flick knife as most are so stiff on the hinge that they need two hands to open but keep one clean, warm, dry, and well oiled and the blade will flick open and a twist of the locking ring has it locked.

JayZeus wrote: »
    It's like talking to a brick wall.
    Well I feel it is like talking to someone with a poor grasp of the English language. Or in the very least someone who doesn't understand how to interpret a law and how important the specificity of the wording is.

You cannot release an axis-lock knife via centrifugal force.

That's it, that's all that matters.

We copy the wording of this law almost verbatim from the UK and axis-lock knives are freely sold there, and have been for decades. The only reason you rarely see them here is the high price of Benchmade (who own the patent).
    You can flick the knife open into a locked position. It's a flick knife.
    You can flick many folding knives open, if you perform some preliminary manipulation first. Do you own any lockback knives? I would imagine any outdoorsman owns a Spyderco Delica or Buck style lockback. Are you going to turn them into the garda station tomorrow ?

Advertisement