Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant called to my door...

Options
  • 30-04-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I am an accidental landlord. I use an agent to let out the property

I am in the process of selling the property as it runs in the red every year. I have given the tenant the correct written notice etc.

I am using the same agent to sell the property.

Today the tenant called to my home address, unannounced. He wanted to ‘do a deal’ as he put it, but it’s clear he cannot afford the property to buy on the open market.

This has unsettled me as he seemed unhinged, possibly desperate.

What are my rights as a landlord? I know I can’t call to the tenant unannounced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Odelay

Get the agent to write to him and explain that all issues regarding the property should be directed to them only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

As above, get the agent to inform the tenant you will only deal through same, after all, you're paying the agent so you don't have to deal with that kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If he continues to call it's harassment and you can involve the guards. However a one off call wouldn't unsettle me to any great degree, their home is being sold and they are understandably desperate, if it stays as a one off I'd not lose too much sleep over it.

Advertisement