Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo care

Options
  • 30-04-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can someone tell me what I should be doing to this bamboo for maintenance?

Should it be cut back etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I think that might be a Miscanthus sinensis not a bamboo, I don't grow it but am pretty sure that you cut it down in the early spring before new growth starts. Try googling miscanthus sinensis care, should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I think that might be a Miscanthus sinensis not a bamboo, I don't grow it but am pretty sure that you cut it down in the early spring before new growth starts. Try googling miscanthus sinensis care, should sort you out.

I think you are right - thanks!

Probably too late to cut it back this year. It only got a light trim last year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Probably too late to cut it back this year. It only got a light trim last year also.
    Why wouldn't you cut it back? The old growth looks dead, you're not going to do it any harm. Give the new shoots space to grow.

Lumen wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you cut it back? The old growth looks dead, you're not going to do it any harm. Give the new shoots space to grow.

Fair enough!

Am I right I’m saying I should cut it back to 10 inches above ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Fair enough!

Am I right I’m saying I should cut it back to 10 inches above ground?

Why not 9.5 inches?

Just cut it down as low and you can take it without damaging the new green shoots that are coming up.

I'd cut it back with a good pair of secateurs by holding on to a section then cutting it as low as I could go but you could probably get stuck into it with a decent pair of shears although that might not be as tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it were mine and I had the patience I would cut out all old stalks right down to the bottom, and let the new growth stand above it. Otherwise cut it down far enough that you don't cut the tops off the new growth.

Thanks for the info.

Would it be expected to grow back to the same fullness as it is now do ye know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks for the info.

Would it be expected to grow back to the same fullness as it is now do ye know?

It should be much the same but the bulk of the growth may be at the edge of the clump. Cutting out the old dead stems will encourage some new growth towards the center.

Advertisement