Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants moving out, something happened I didn't think of...

Options
  • 30-04-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

So my excellent tenants are moving on to pastures new. Given the apartment is in a RPZ they've said they've a whole host of friends who would be interested, subject to proper vetting of course.

Just interesting as we've not mentioned this before when we're talking about RPZs, usually we've mooted that we'd have to put the apartment on daft and field the HAP and 'what's wrong with it calls'.

I'm actually surprised 'a grapevine' of rent controlled apartments hasn't grown up outside of certain communities such as the Brazilians who apparently cottoned on to this and groups help each other find gaffes. (My guys aren't from Brazil)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

So my excellent tenants are moving on to pastures new. Given the apartment is in a RPZ they've said they've a whole host of friends who would be interested, subject to proper vetting of course.

Just interesting as we've not mentioned this before when we're talking about RPZs, usually we've mooted that we'd have to put the apartment on daft and field the HAP and 'what's wrong with it calls'.

I'm actually surprised 'a grapevine' of rent controlled apartments hasn't grown up outside of certain communities such as the Brazilians who apparently cottoned on to this and groups help each other find gaffes. (My guys aren't from Brazil)

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I think you’ll find that the more unscrupulous landlords would avoid a recommended tenant in these circumstances so they can illegally up the rent, while the large REITs will just follow normal process ( and probably have a host of pre-vetted applicants waiting on suitable properties).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

amcalester wrote: »
    I think you’ll find that the more unscrupulous landlords would avoid a recommended tenant in these circumstances so they can illegally up the rent, while the large REITs will just follow normal process ( and probably have a host of pre-vetted applicants waiting on suitable properties).

The tenants, in fairness to them, told me they hadn't told their friends the actual rent but I'm one for playing by the rules in these matters so get screwed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So what's the actual point of this thread.....

So what's the actual point of this thread.....

For you to harvest some thanks, I'll get ya started.

• Advertisement

For you to harvest some thanks, I'll get ya started.

I just checked it's not after hours but hey....

Quit your jibba jabbing I ain't got time for this.

I just checked it's not after hours but hey....

Quit your jibba jabbing I ain't got time for this.

Keep bumping :pac:

Keep bumping :pac:

Pac is this some sort of trick.....

Come on op gotta do better then this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Just out of interest, do you accept HAP?

thebull85 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do you accept HAP?

Oh absolutely, of course 100%.

• Advertisement

There has to be some sort of a catch.....

There has to be some sort of a catch.....

Okay the point of the thread is:

I'm actually surprised 'a grapevine' of rent controlled apartments hasn't grown up

Probably not worth it's own thread but I couldn't remember where we were chatting about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Okay the point of the thread is:

I'm actually surprised 'a grapevine' of rent controlled apartments hasn't grown up

Probably not worth it's own thread but I couldn't remember where we were chatting about this.

It has, ive seen it with a few different nationalities, the croatians are the latest. Its not surprising,people usually want to help out 'their own'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Honest question why do landlords dislike HAP :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

irishman86 wrote:
    Honest question why do landlords dislike HAP

Let me tell you a story!

My mam lost her job, applied for Hap last October. Applying for hap has almost lost her her home and her sanity. Between the delay in approval, the council losing forms, herself and LL filling in the same forms over and over. Being told it's not backdated from application date and she therefore owed the LL 3 months rent, to the rent being paid to her bank account instead of the landlords! The backdated rent they insisted she wouldn't get appeared , fortunately. Hap have no idea who paid her that money (!) when she tried to sort out the rent going into the correct account they said she has to begin the process from scratch so who knows how they'll mess it up this time. Also, they've been underpaying the LLs portion by 30pm and they don't know why. My mam is incredibly lucky that her LL has been so patient but her patience is running thin. It's a shoddily run system that is way more complicated than it needs to be. I don't blame LLs for not wanting it. Not at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

rawn wrote: »
    Let me tell you a story!

My mam lost her job, applied for Hap last October. Applying for hap has almost lost her her home and her sanity. Between the delay in approval, the council losing forms, herself and LL filling in the same forms over and over. Being told it's not backdated from application date and she therefore owed the LL 3 months rent, to the rent being paid to her bank account instead of the landlords! The backdated rent they insisted she wouldn't get appeared , fortunately. Hap have no idea who paid her that money (!) when she tried to sort out the rent going into the correct account they said she has to begin the process from scratch so who knows how they'll mess it up this time. Also, they've been underpaying the LLs portion by 30pm and they don't know why. My mam is incredibly lucky that her LL has been so patient but her patience is running thin. It's a shoddily run system that is way more complicated than it needs to be. I don't blame LLs for not wanting it. Not at all.

I got HAP and found it simple, i no longer get it but my landlord didnt find it difficult and it was done within three weeks. When we left his place he took on other HAP people
    You mother sounds like she got very unlucky
    Is it that reason landlords dont take it, purely from a hassle pov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

irishman86 wrote:
    I got HAP and found it simple, i no longer get it but my landlord didnt find it difficult and it was done within three weeks. When we left his place he took on other HAP people You mother sounds like she got very unlucky Is it that reason landlords dont take it, purely from a hassle pov

Pretty much. Maybe she was just unlucky but every step was so mismanaged, she had to involve her local TD as well because it was so badly managed. It still is. The worst part is she can never get a straight answer from anyone, it's like they're passing her file from desk to desk and no one is talking to each other. And they keep losing her files! It must be like Fawlty Towers in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

rawn wrote: »
    Pretty much. Maybe she was just unlucky but every step was so mismanaged, she had to involve her local TD as well because it was so badly managed. It still is. The worst part is she can never get a straight answer from anyone, it's like they're passing her file from desk to desk and no one is talking to each other. And they keep losing her files! It must be like Fawlty Towers in there :)

Bunch of un-interested civil servants who don't get sacked for not doing their job properly, that's why. Have a friend been run ragged by another department of the civil service for years.. typically, waits weeks to see his case officer, and if the same bright spark is not off sick for 3 months, he is back in work and off on annual leave the day after getting "better". If he does get to see the case officer, invariably the case officer has not bothered his arse reading his file and so trots out the same formulaic suggestions as last time they may have met.
    In other words, not specific to HAP, most civil service departments have the same high percentage of useless space wasters and and so the liklihood of your mum or anyone else coming across one of these useless individuals is quite high.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

irishman86 wrote: »
    Honest question why do landlords dislike HAP :confused:
    Because they have conditions that exceed the national requirements. So an apartment may be up to the standard that is required however HAP have additional requirements.

The tennants also seem to cause more issues than private renters

Some issues are not paying rent while waiting for hap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement