Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody tail

• 30-04-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Have a Springer who's 9 months old.
    Her tail is always bleeding from wagging it and scraping it off the concrete kennel and tarmac, is there any way of stopping this from happening or is docking a few inches off it the only answer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It will harden. My dog was the same and I was worried. She is ok now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

garv123 wrote: »
    Have a Springer who's 9 months old.
    Her tail is always bleeding from wagging it and scraping it off the concrete kennel and tarmac, is there any way of stopping this from happening or is docking a few inches off it the only answer?

I wouldn't even consider docking the tail of a dog that was over a week old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

It will harden. My dog was the same and I was worried. She is ok now.

Was it when she was younger? Did you do anything to try and help with the bleeding or to avoid infection?

I wouldn't even consider docking the tail of a dog that was over a week old.

Why?
    If its necessary any vet will do it.

Why?
    If its necessary any vet will do it.

I think it's cruel.

• Advertisement

I think it's cruel.

:pac::pac::pac:

But its ok to leave a dog run around with blood pi$$ing out its tail and risk it getting infected?

How is it not cruel before a week old?

:pac::pac::pac:

But its ok to leave a dog run around with blood pi$$ing out its tail and risk it getting infected?

How is it not cruel before a week old?

I'll just ignore the first part of your post.

As regards the second part I respectfully suggest you do a little research.

So you'll ignore the only bit that is related to this thread?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭shootemall

I respectfully suggest you find a different
    Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

So you'll ignore the only bit that is related to this thread?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just ignore him/her, I think its crueler to have a dog with a bleeding tail because its too long.

Back on topic, I had a springer that bled everytime she was out hunting heavy cover, looked awful blood everywhere, I used to do a lot of beating with her on a local shoot. I looked into getting her docked but never went ahead with it in the end, she had only the tip 1/3 of her tail docked. I made sure to dock a litter of pups I had off her at least half way.

If shes bursting it by just waging it inside in the run then its worth looking into getting the vet to dock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A friend had to get the tail of his 6 year old English pointer docked on his vets recommendation. The tail kept opening and bleeding whether he was working or in his kennel.
    We dock sheep tails as an animal welfare issue so I don't see the issue with pups.
    If done by a vet at under a week old what is the problem. However I would preface that by saying working dogs only

shootemall wrote: »
    I respectfully suggest you find a different
    Forum

I'm quite happy posting on this forum.

I like to learn from other posters and express my opinion on hunting matters, especially working dogs.

I have been breeding working dogs for many years and am always trying to learn more and encourage others interested in the sport.

I'm quite happy posting on this forum.

I like to learn from other posters and express my opinion on hunting matters, especially working dogs.

I have been breeding working dogs for many years and am always trying to learn more and encourage others interested in the sport.

So why suggest docking the tail of a dog (who obviously has issues with it) is cruel? Clearly it would be more cruel if i left it bleeding every day.

So why suggest docking the tail of a dog (who obviously has issues with it) is cruel? Clearly it would be more cruel if i left it bleeding every day.

Because in my opinion the dog is too old to have it's tail docked.

In fairness, that was fairly easy to understand from my posts.

So in your opinion I should let the dog bleed away and risk infection, discomfort and possible loss of the tail completely

Would I be better to just put the dog down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm just following this as a matter of interest. Anything I read says that if there's a re-occurring injury than this must be delt with. My bitch received a bad toe pad cut during snow and had to have the pad removed. This in it's self healed but during that period of recovery she developed a abrasion wound around the dressing site. This in fact was slower to heal and although healed now was a concern for the vet. If the dog is re-injuring itself then I think action is needed.

At this age this is not a docking procedure but an amputation , with all the risks and problems associated with amputating a limb or such. So I think a good consultation with a vet is needed and recovery time, after care and possible associated problems (mobility, stress etc) need to be addressed.

I hope all works out well.

The dogs tail is bleeding from whacking it on the inside of the run, so it doesn’t sound like resting and letting it heal is going to be a runner.

In fairness it is clear that's it has a big problem with it tail.

Do you still think it’s too old to have it’s tail amputated/shortened?

The dogs tail is bleeding from whacking it on the inside of the run, so it doesn’t sound like resting and letting it heal is going to be a runner.

In fairness it is clear that's it has a big problem with it tail.

Do you still think it’s too old to have it’s tail amputated/shortened?

What part of my post that you quoted did you not understand?

In fairness, it wasn't complicated.

What part of my post that you quoted did you not understand?

In fairness, it wasn't complicated.

Era that’s just plain daft, good luck and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

i have two sprockers both had full tails, older one of the two had non stop bleeding over a 6 month period, vet did all the usual to try help it heal but in the end suggested amputation which i agreed to, was then advised to get younger dog done also if it was being used as a working dog... got both done and they healed very quickly.

just to add the tail would heal but a simple thing like letting him into the house in the evening and him jumping around and whacking it off the walls or kitchen presses would burst it open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Thank god there are a few vets out there that have a bit of common sense. A lot of them turn their noses up to tail docking, even though it is a real necessity for certain breeds of working dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

I was hoping she would suggest it before i asked, she was surprised the local vet to the lad i got the older one from wouldn't do it when a few days old as from working background and being sold as working dogs.

Advertisement