Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent refusing to accept offer on house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Effects wrote: »
    Well if you have the cash to buy it then the EA don't care if you have another house to sell. It's unrelated to your sale. You'll have no problems. You don't even need to tell them you are selling your other house.

The very fact that the OP included this in the OP would lead us to assume that it's related.
    If it's not related, then it's broken engly. May as well throw in some info about your pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

jim salter wrote: »
    Just because the op is selling a house it does not necessarily mean the op is reliant upon the funds from the sale to purchase the new property.
    The op has stated they are a first time buyer.
    Scenario: person left a house in a will (that they currently live in). Person has deposit and mortgage approval. Wanting to purchase like anyone else and has approval to make them highest bidder (again like anyone else) but their bid is refused for a lower bid due to the EA being a dick.
    So many on this thread have made assumptions and I see no evidence of 'attitude' from op and 'attitude' is no reason for an EA to act with attitude.

EA's are professionals who are acting on their clients best interests. Quite literally, thats what they are. If they pick one bid over another, its because its in their clients best interest.

Might make people feel better to think otherwise. Wont help you buy a house though.

And by the way.....in case you are considering going down that route...... I am not an EA. Just an observation based on (i) my own experiences with EAs vs (ii) the 'myths' about EAs that I see here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happihat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    EA's are professionals who are acting on their clients best interests. Quite literally, thats what they are. If they pick one bid over another, its because its in their clients best interest.

Might make people feel better to think otherwise. Wont help you buy a house though.

And by the way.....in case you are considering going down that route...... I am not an EA. Just an observation based on (i) my own experiences with EAs vs (ii) the 'myths' about EAs that I see here and elsewhere.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Completly fair and reasonable. I've seen situations where someone without the funds placed offers that were well above the asking price/value just to delay the sale and put other bidders off. Of course once they had the funds they reduced there offer back down to the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

happihat wrote: »
    You know as much information as I was willing to give and made assumptions based on that alone! And that's fine!

Well it’s quite simple.

Either you have the funds to purchase the new house without having to sell the old one. In that case the agent shouldn’t care about the status of your old house as it’s irrelevant to the sale. Based on what you said it doesn’t seem to be the case?

Or selling the old house is a requirement to obtain the funds to buy the new one, and in that case it is fair enough for the agent/seller not to entertain your offer as they don’t want to keep the property on hold for you until you eventually put your old one on the market and sell it (which might take a while or never happen).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

happihat wrote: »
    You know as much information as I was willing to give and made assumptions based on that alone! And that's fine!
    If you gave the EA as much info as you gave us, you now know why they said no.
    jim salter wrote: »
    Just because the op is selling a house it does not necessarily mean the op is reliant upon the funds from the sale to purchase the new property.
    Although this may be true, if the OP had mentioned the house not being for sale yet; the EA would have assumed that their funds are dependent on the sale. So unless the OP goes back to the EA with proof of funds that are not not dependent on the house sale, I doubt any further inquiries will be entertained.

I'm assuming that when the OP was talking to the EA, the EA probably asked if they had a house, and if it was on sale, etc. Such conversation would be used by the EA to gleam as much info on the OP's situation as possible, to weed out the tire kickers that house sales draw.

Advertisement