Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large flat stones for a waterfall?

Options
  • 30-04-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Would anybody know where I could get large flat rocks to build a waterfall in the back garden? Also, where can I buy some of the granite rocks which are used to build the granite stone walls like this around southeast Dublin? Thanks.

rockeryideasgk-6.jpg

Waterfall-GettyImages-91780850-587fe8913df78c2ccdf9c481.jpg

belait-bay-and-cottage-gardens-indoor-coral-miami-shade-reviews-with-diy-design-flat-pictures-castle-complete-chandigarh-calhoun-for-plans-construction-borders-architectureartdesig.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

How many of the flat type rocks do you need?
    Is that definitely granite in the pic? and does it have to be granite? what bout other stone types? sandstone, limestone for example..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

How many of the flat type rocks do you need?
    Is that definitely granite in the pic? and does it have to be granite? what bout other stone types? sandstone, limestone for example..

I suppose 3 or 4 of the flat ones would be enough. It depends on price. No, doesn't have to be granite for the water feature but the garden wall will probably be granite.

Landmark architecture in Newcastle co.dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ring some of the quarries direct - they often (or the one in Threecastles in Kilkenny did) have a heap of decent sized stone that is available to purchase direct.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I suppose 3 or 4 of the flat ones would be enough. It depends on price. No, doesn't have to be granite for the water feature but the garden wall will probably be granite.

where you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

where you based?

from the op
    gaiscioch wrote: »
    ....Also, where can I buy some of the granite rocks which are used to build the granite stone walls around southeast Dublin? Thanks.

Op..If its only 4 or 5 you need, I have some that you can have for free if u pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Op..If its only 4 or 5 you need, I have some that you can have for free if u pm me

Hi

If OP doesn't take them or they end up not suiting, I'd be interested in taking 2 or 3.

Tks.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Hi

If OP doesn't take them or they end up not suiting, I'd be interested in taking 2 or 3.

Tks.

Okay, what you need them for if u don't mind me asking? Can ascertain if they suitable..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Okay, what you need them for if u don't mind me asking? Can ascertain if they suitable..

Same as the OP. Pond is built but the return from the filter currently goes along a plastic channel. I'd like to set up as OP has described.

• Advertisement

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Same as the OP. Pond is built but the return from the filter currently goes along a plastic channel. I'd like to set up as OP has described.

How many stones you think you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ring a quarry, you can get a ton of stone for 10-250 euro depending on what you want. Dressed stone is expensive as it has been graded, worked and split, random rubble is a lot cheaper.

If you only want 3/4 stones I would guess a quarry would give them to you for a minimal fee, if not free.

If you want to build a garden wall with random rubble you would need about a ton to build a wall 2 foot by 2 foot by 42 inches high.

How many stones you think you need?

Sorry, I see you already said 2 or 3 required. I will probably have them for you too if you want to pm me..

Advertisement