Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical arc welder supply

Options
  • 30-04-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey guys, I haven't done one before, but I have been asked, so I'm just wondering what would be best practice when installing a new supply for an electric arc welder? Best type breaker to avoid nuisance tripping etc. I think he currently has it on 16a industrial with no problems but would 32a industrial socket be more appropriate? Advice from those with more experience with them than me would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

It all depends what size welder it is but if it is an arc welder I'd say you'd want minimum 32a socket. I know you say it's currently running of a 16a but if you're installing a new outlet I'd be inclined to go for the 32a minimum.

Length of cable run etc will dictate what cable size to use and a C or D type MCB should stop nuisance tripping. Will need to be rcd protected.

Remember, if using a D type MCB, your fault loop impedance will have to be very low, so keep it in mind when calculating cable size

Advertisement