Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockingham, Leixlip

Options
  • 30-04-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Can anyone tell me what this estate is like in Leixlip? I"m looking at a house for sale there which is at the front of the estate facing the road. It is very close to the train station for commuting to Dublin - if anyone can advise re the daily commute and how busy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nice house. Trafficwise, once on the road, there's little stopping you until the M4. Depending on the time, going through Leixlip village can be of little resistance.

Within walking distance of the primary schools, but would advise you teenager to have a bicycle if going to the post-primary school. The bus stops nearby it are the 66, and the the 66X starts at Louisa Bridge. The train station being that close is handy as well.

If you have a car, Lidl is close, as is the newsagents (The Marian), and the GAA across the road from that.

Due to the M4, I doubt the Station Road gets that much traffic (before the N4/M4 was built, that would have been busy all the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Quality31

Many thanks for that. Any thoughts on the train journey to and from Pearse St each day at peak hour? How packed are the trains - are they very unconfortable? I have two teenagers, one starting college in city centre this Sep, the other in secondary school in town also. Is there much for teenagers in Leixlip e.g. gym, GAA hurling, badminton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Houses are lovely.
    You will be getting on at 1st stop for the train after it leaves Maynooth so I would say you'll get a seat. Others might confirm i dont use that train any more I used to get on at stop after your one and got a seat most days.
    Leixlip has every type of sports club really, GAA x 2, soccer x 3 or 4, rugby, canoeing, tennis, badminton, athletics, karate, judo, cycling, few gyms around the place too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I've no problems getting a seat most mornings in Leixlip on the train at Louisa Bridge.  The train gets quite busy around Clonsilla and Coolmine but you should be grand once you have a seat.

Overall I'd say its a nice place to live and Maynooth is about 5-10 minutes away by car from that side of Leixlip.  A large tesco is the first thing you'll come upon and its open till midnight which I find useful. There are 2 gyms within easy walking distance as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yup nice area. Houses rarely come up in there so happy days for you. Seats on the train are at a premium there but at least you have a chance at one. Also talk of electrifying that line (though I'm not holding my breath). If that happened you'd get a healthy boost in value I'd imagine. Also close to maynooth which is a great town for food and drinks. The south campus of the college is great for walks, as is castletown house in celbridge and carton estate. All within a 10 minute drive.

• Advertisement

Castletown House is a short drive away, and as said, great for walking around. As is along the canal itself. If you have a dog; it'll love the place. Free parking on the Leixlip side, and a few different tracks.

The train service starts at Maynooth, so for the 2nd stop there's a good chance you'll get a seat. After a few journeys, you'll have an idea which carriage will often have seats. Coming back, sometimes it's best to get a random dart into Connolly, and hop on the Maynooth train (that starts from there).

GAA - There's a GAA 10 minutes south, or quicker if they cut through Cedar Park.

Gym, hurling, badminton - 20 minutes walk to the west will bring you to the Amenities, and this has all of these, and more.

There's a gym in the GAA and the Amenities. Would really depend on which you prefer. Personally, I went to the Glenroyal in Maynooth (would get there by car via the M4), but I mainly joined there for access to the pool.

If you like golf, there are two golf driving ranges nearby. Cheap one in Celbridge, and an expensive one in Carton, but the targets in Carton are usually better. Both usually have a practice putting green as well.

If you prefer fishing more, the canal isn't bad, but the Rye is a lot better. You need to be a member of the local fishing club, though, as that section of the Rye is owned by Intel.

As said, there's also canoeing on the reservoir, and there's astro turf at the Amenities.

The main pub would probably be The Court Yard (it also has a late opening), but there are a few other pubs around that also do food. If you want somewhere quite to eat, check out Becketts.

Any more questions, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

have been looking around leixslip myself with the m4 its really handy, seems good value, older stock than celbridge but still looks good

utmbuilder wrote: »
    have been looking around leixslip myself with the m4 its really handy, seems good value, older stock than celbridge but still looks good
    If buying in Glen Easton, check for pyrite, and/or ask for cert that it was fixed. I know one or two people there whose house was fixed after it was found; it didn't cost the owner AFAIK, so I'd say anyone who had the issue had it fixed.

Advertisement