Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a Lens Suggestion to go with a Sony A7lll

• 28-04-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently own a Sony A65 with the Sony 2.8/16-50 SSM lens. I also have a Minolta Beercan 75/300 and Minolta 35/70 Macro lenses. I really like the 16/50 lens as it is certainly the lens that covers most of the type of photographs that i like to take. These would include motorhome travel photos across Europe, typical family photos and then a range of landscape and general interest photos that might catch the eye of an amateur enthusiast for over fifty years. Quite frequently lighting conditions may not be ideal; either strong and contrasty or deliberately chosen evening or night shots. The other two Minolta lenses are backup for the occasional shots that might present themselves or be sought out.

I am seriously considering upgrading to a Sony A7lll but having laid out for the camera I would definitely not be able to afford to go for any of the Sony 2.8 zoom lenses. Third party 2.8 lenses also look to be too expensive, but with better ISO handling and dynamic range together with improved stabilisation the f4 lenses look more appealing than in the past.
    I would really like to get advice as to what would be a good alternative compromise lens to pair with the camera initially. I am not sure that the kit lens available with the camera would be up to the standard of my SAL 16/50 and bearing in mind that ultimately I will probably also need to replace the other two lenses I want to get the best standard (non prime) lens that I can afford. One lens that I did think about was the new Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD, being priced at around $700 (presumably about the same in €) it's in the ballpark of affordability.

I would really appreciate any advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Zeiss 16-35mm is the king lense for full frame Sonys.. providing you like wide angles.. Check out some photos on insta or flickr..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Thanks for that suggestion XPro. I'll check it out. Dave.

Advertisement