Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coolmine train station crash

• 01-05-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

A car mounted the path, struck 2 pedestrians then left the scene.
    Hope nobody was seriously injured and they catch the driver. Drivers who hit and run are the lowest form of scum on the planet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Terrible. Fingers crossed for the pedestrians.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Story here on TheJournal though no real details yet. Dreadful. http://www.thejournal.ie/coolmine-hit-and-run-3987778-May2018/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hopefully the people involved are okay and there is cctv to find the person responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

eviltwin wrote: »
    Hopefully the people involved are okay and there is cctv to find the person responsible

hopefully. There is cctv at the crossing, so maybe theres the ability to get a license plate

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RTE reporting that two men are in hospital, one critical, and the driver has been arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a horrible incident. Thank God there weren't more people hurt, imagine had it been an hour earlier. Thoughts with the injured and their loved ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Driver found in car park of local pub according to RTE news

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd imagine that's The Carpenter, it's not too far down the road there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Driver was in his 30s on a school run according to Independent. You wonder do many of these hit and run drivers just panic when this happens and their instinct is to flee? If he was found rather than alerted Gardai himself then it doesn't bode well for him. The 19 year old injured male is now critical. Please God he pulls through.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I cycled through there around 9:30, must have just missed it. Fecking scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

According to a local he drove at high speed up the road, mounted the footpath and hit the older guy, then drove up the path towards the level crossing and knocked down the younger guy near the metal fence on the pedestrian bridge - the level crossing was down so he did a U turn at speed. He then stopped, drove quite slowly looking at the carnage and sped off. A few minutes later a car drove at speed near the hump back bridge by castleknock station forcing people to swerve to avoid being hit. A guard apparently told the locals the guy has a history of dangerous driving and drugs.
    You can be sure he will get a suspended sentence and a 5 years block on his driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I was in the area at the time. Before I saw the accident scene itself, I saw what I can only assume to be the suspected car with a smashed windscreen and dented roof drive by me, what turned out to be around the corner from where the accident happened. I couldn't help thinking to myself that he must have hit either a person/cyclist or a bin and decided to continue driving - the windscreen was completely smashed. A few minutes later I saw the accident scene and rang the Garda to let them know what I had saw including the make/model of car and where I saw it driving, but by then they had already found the driver, who apparantly panicked and drove off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hopefully the victims are making a recovery

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

According to the article in Blanch Gazette the driver was drug driving, already on a 25 year driving ban (and obviously no insurance or driving licence) and driving his young child to school.
    The driver also had 215 previous convictions, including 14 for dangerous driving including 3 hit and runs!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't understand why the last 18 months of his sentence was suspended. He should have gotten double what he did, complete and utter scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,692 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't understand why the last 18 months of his sentence was suspended. He should have gotten double what he did, complete and utter scumbag.

And probably out way earlier than the 7 years a reformed character, oh wait he's done this before again and again
    Sentences in this country just make you sick
    When people can not reform themselves for the betterment of society but instead continue on a course of destroying as many lives as possible then they should be put away for life and by life I mean til their death. Some people can not be saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

This is really a disgrace. Both victims scarred for life, one with permanent brain injury, and this guy with 215 previous convictions gets 8 years with the final 1.5 suspended? What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Should be locked up and the key thrown away. How do people like that live with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

LorelaiG wrote: »
    How do people like that live with themselves.
    This person seems not to have such a problem - 3 previous hit and runs, 14 convictions for dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
Advertisement