Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using masonry paint on wooden garden fence

Options
  • 01-05-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Greetings, we put up some new fence pannels in our garden and i painted them with a dark brown wood preserver. After two coats i was happy with the result but herself said it was two dark so i then re painted with a cream coloured fence paint. it looked lovely as i was painting but as soon as it dried it was like it disappeared. Two coats later and it is now just a lighter shade of the dark brown i was covering up. The way things are going i will pay more on paint then the fence.

Can i use masonry paint in the fence. I know the theory of the fence paint is that it is absorbed into the wood as apposed to masonry paint but after 4 coats of fence paint on new fences im sure it is well protected.

But what will it be like in years to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i've used masonry paint on outside wood and it lasts quite well actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Sand it back with an electric sander until you get into the original fence paint and get it lighter than you want, then put on a coat of the lightest shade you can get. It's always best to start off varnishes, wood oils, fence paints etc., with a light shade, as they darken with each subsequent coat.

Advertisement