Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living by the M50

Options
  • 01-05-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

We are looking at a new development that is next to the M50 at J10 and were wondering how other people find living by the M50? Is there always that constant drone, regarding of any level of sound-dampening, or is it inaudible where correct sound-dampening has been installed? Trying to figure out if it will always be a problem, or if it can be fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

You would be surprised how you get used to it. I grew up on a very busy road. Its was back in the day before any of the motorways were built . We were near traffic lights and the house would shake when articulated lorries were waiting for the lights to go green. We were also half way between a Garda Station and Fire station so you had constant noise, from traffic, sirens and people coming home late from the pub drunk. It all became background noise. When I went to America I was living in a quiet suburb. I found night time so eerie as there was n't a sound outside. It actually took me a while to adapt to the quietness. I imagine modern houses have much better sound insulation that what I was living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

You would be surprised how you get used to it. I grew up on a very busy road. Its was back in the day before any of the motorways were built . We were near traffic lights and the house would shake when articulated lorries were waiting for the lights to go green. We were also half way between a Garda Station and Fire station so you had constant noise, from traffic, sirens and people coming home late from the pub drunk. It all became background noise. When I went to America I was living in a quiet suburb. I found night time so eerie as there was n't a sound outside. It actually took me a while to adapt to the quietness. I imagine modern houses have much better sound insulation that what I was living in.

You're probably right we'd get used to it - it's really only a constant 'whooshing' noise than anything particularly loud, and the houses are A2 rated so you can't hear a peep. It would only be audible from the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id be more worried about the air quality

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Cyrus wrote: »
    id be more worried about the air quality

I wouldn't worry so much about air quality with the push towards electric cars, by the time an average mortgage is paid off most of the cars on our roads will be electric.
    Maybe if you were buying the house in the 80s it would be a problem.
    Also with regard to noise, thankfully modern double/triple glazing sealed window systems are very efficient at blocking that type of sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭micks_address

Some days I feel like I'm living on the m50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will always have a noice and even with electric Tyre noice can be heard very far.

I lived 3 know away and could here the motorway especially at night as sound travels more.

It's something most will get use to and with triple glazing and properly insulated houses it's not so bad unless in summer when you have windows open but luckily that doesn't happen for long here.... Well maybe not lucky....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I grew up in England, and moved to a new house about 50m from the M6. To start with the noise was a bit of a problem, but after a few weeks hardly noticed it. In fact we had difficulty sleeping when on holiday in the countryside due to the lack of noise!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I lived about 90m from the M50 in Sandyford. It becomes background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's background noise yes but if one can do without it it's much better.

Advertisement