Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

African gang beat the sh*t out of two gardai with a baseball bat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

JonnyM wrote: »
    Why didn't the armed guards shoot the dog??

GSOC probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I was a permanent resident years ago elsewhere and I agree that if I committed a crime I would expect to be exported if caught and charged.

At the same time I have no problem with immigration and criminals come from all walks of life.

This incident, for me, shows the lack of funding and support for the Gardai and issues with our judicial system. I wonder if they could be granted special powers that wouldn't need a court approval for a warrant in fast moving situations such as this. The incident happened at 7.30 and an approval wasn't granted until 10.45. That's quite a long turnaround time considering the gravity of the incident.

Also, the Gardai initially on the scene were woefully underprepared for what happened and the ASU should have been available on standby without the need for a warrant.

It doesn't matter what group was involved, this could very easily have been a local gang involved with a similar outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If only we could get rid of the Muslims, africans and travellers we would be living in a utopia, free from crime where pink-glitter unicorns would fart rainbows.

A whataboutary sneer isn’t an argument. In this specific case the question is whether the perpetrators should be deported (yes) and whether our immigration system is fit for purpose.

If you want to defend immigration as a relatively good thing in moderation, which I believe, you have to condemn the flaws. Supporting criminal immigrants (if they even are) is the kind of echo chamber nonsense that the ultra left engage in to make themselves feel better but it is no substitute for policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If only we could get rid of the Muslims, africans and travellers we would be living in a utopia, free from crime where pink-glitter unicorns would fart rainbows.

No, but if we got rid of the specific Africans involved in this incident (or better still didn't leave them enter in the first place) these Gardaí wouldn't have been assaulted - and I think it's probably safe to assume that this isn't the first crime these specific Africans committed, so we would have prevented other victims from suffering too. But, obviously, it is much more important that we signal our virtue than worry about mere crime victims, they are merely fuel for the great engine of multiculturalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A whataboutary sneer isn’t an argument. In this specific case the question is whether the perpetrators should be deported (yes) and whether our immigration system is fit for purpose.
    The effectiveness of any immigration system should be questioned, continually. There is no point where anyone should ever say, "This works well, let's change nothing".

Ultimately there is no way for any immigration system to prevent gangs from forming on the "other side" of the border. No matter how honest, decent or educated an immigrant may be, they are entering into a different culture with different people of different values.

They will naturally gravitate towards people with whom they share a common background and form micro-communities.

Where one of these micro-communities is more isolated from their host country than others - either isolated by social attitudes, or self-isolated - then criminal activity will begin to develop.

The point is that the formation of criminal gangs out of particular immigrant communities doesn't mean that immigrants from this region are particularly predisposed to crime, or that border policy has necessarily failed.

It means that immigration policy has failed to recognise where communities have gone into isolation and failed to enact policies to dissolve that isolation.

Communities get engaged in organised crime because they don't feel connected to wider society. If you feel respect for society and feel that you're "part" of society, then you won't sh1t on your own doorstep. That holds as true for Nigerian immigrants in West Dublin as it does for deprived Irish communities in inner-city Limerick and travellers across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

.. but liberals don't care about our own working class.

Many Liberals, progressives, people across the Left actively despise them.

More pronounced in Britain and pats of Europe but it is here as well.

It is fatal to the left,long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Is it just me, or am I seeing a lot more racist threads around AH of late?

On the OP, plenty of Irish gougers out there that I don't feel associated with. I'm not sure why you seem to want to associate others with examples of their worst elements.

People are just people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Foxhound38 wrote: »

On the OP, plenty of Irish gougers out there that I don't feel associated with. I'm not sure why you seem to want to associate others with examples of their worst elements.

People are just people.

Why is it racist to start a thread about a serious assault on the Gardai? This is a very unusual case in that the Guards had to retreat. If this was anyone else of any other background a thread would have been made because its insane that the Gardai were made to retreat from an assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

all risks people take by voluntarily deciding to shoot unknown crap into their veins/noses, and/or partake in the trade thereof, but lets not let personal responsibility get in the way of things, lets get right on and legalise the crap so we dont have to feel bad when another 10 headless bodies are swinging of a bridge in Mexico, or an innocent Irishman gets shot on his holidays, no lets worry about our own gratification

alcohol is one of the main causes of societal misery, ill health, domestic violence, public order offences, birth defects, fatal car crashes, child neglect etc., where over half of those imbibing, do so in a harmful way...

And you want to add another problem into the mix...

It actually takes out a problem. It's been used and proved in Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I see we're racists now Father

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Foxhound38 wrote: »

People are just people.

To answer your 1st question I believe it's just you and a very small number of others that are mad to throw the race card...

Nobody has mentioned anything other then where they are from.
    If Irish cause problems in Australia it's well published and put out on their news no issues at all.

Did you see the group of our travelling friends out scamming and the cops had no problem plastering their faces all over media.

The Irish it seems are way too soft and laxy dassy about so much it's unreal.

We don't need more drug dealers coming in we have enough that we can't get rid of as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

laxy dassy
    Some might say, lackadaisical.

I really hope the posters are so interested in the other gardai assaulted everyday in this country.
    Don't see too many threads on it usually.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bubblypop wrote: »
    I really hope the posters are so interested in the other gardai assaulted everyday in this country.

Ya don’t usually see Gardai bet like dogs with baseball bats in broad daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Could you, per chance, pop up links to the rest of the incidents in the last 7 days where Gardai were assaulted by a gang, called for backup that was again repelled by the gang. Then had to call the ASU in to help, who were also assaulted by the gang.

I'll accept any newspaper report or website report. Should be fairly handy since things like this happen every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Could you provide information on these ? And if you can ones that are at the same level as this one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why are so many of these scum being let in its an absolute disgrace.

Because "Diversity is our strength"....yadda,yadda,yadda. :rolleyes:

It's almost as if some posters want violent crimes covered up unless they are committed by white Irish people - but that can't be the case, can it, because that would be racist, wouldn't it?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ya don’t usually see Gardai bet like dogs with baseball bats in broad daylight.

Maybe you don't, or maybe you don't listen when it's home grown gougers

As asked above, got any links we could read or listen to??

• Advertisement

Could you, per chance, pop up links to the rest of the incidents in the last 7 days where Gardai were assaulted by a gang, called for backup that was again repelled by the gang. Then had to call the ASU in to help, who were also assaulted by the gang.

I'll accept any newspaper report or website report. Should be fairly handy since things like this happen every day.

Just because they are not splashed all over the newspaper doesn't mean it doesn't happen you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

did they have soul glow in their hair ?

That’s your counter argument? “Maybe I don’t listen?” Very weak and very telling.

Pathetic actually because you’re miles off. I was fairly active in the Lidl JCB thread clearly condemning our dirty “home grown” scumbags because some in here chose to focus solely on the one or two foreign offenders involved. To me, they’re all dirt.

Just because they are not splashed all over the newspaper doesn't mean it doesn't happen you know.

Your arguments here are absolutely abysmal. You’re seriously more or less suggesting that there’s a slew of violent baseball bat attacks on our police force perpetrated by “home grown” gougers but they’re going unreported because the offenders are “home grown”.

Your arguments here are absolutely abysmal. You’re seriously more or less suggesting that there’s a slew of violent baseball bat attacks on our police force perpetrated by “home grown” gougers but they’re going unreported because the offenders are “home grown”.

nope, not what i am saying at all.

I'm just hoping that instead of anti-garda threads on here, I am going to see way more threads standing up for the hundreds of gardai that are assaulted.
    Hopefully, this thread is the start of a new trend.

So how do you know they happen daily? :confused:

Also, your first few links are just general statistics for the most part. Not specific incidents. One of the links is the Lidl Jobstown incident, which was covered broadly on here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Are you really saying that attacks of such a serious nature where one is hospitalised from being attacked with a baseball bat and another armed Garda is bitten by a dog wouldn't get reported in the newspaper?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Are you really saying that attacks of such a serious nature where one is hospitalised from being attacked with a baseball bat and another armed Garda is bitten by a dog wouldn't get reported in the newspaper?

Yes, but only if the perp is Irish home grown. However, the poster then goes on to try list things that did happen. Bizarre arguing style.

Nice try, but you and I both know that you've just made yourself look even more foolish.

You've supplied several links to statistics on Garda injuries, both inflicted by others and not, which give us no indication of who did commit attacks and in what manner. You've provided a couple of links to a case where a Garda sued after being punched while trying to arrest somebody, a case where a Garda was attacked by some dogs (including a Yorkshire Terrier!) while searching a house, and a link to an incident that involved a mix of Irish and Nigerian scumbags.

Did you think nobody would read the links and just take your word they were to incidents similar to the OP? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

cd07 wrote: »
    Most other African people dislike Nigerians because of the unrest there and piracy. I mean go on YouTube and watch Nigerian pirates ambushing cargo ships. They aren't European so imo they shouldn't be here. Anyone unfortunate enough to be on the social here will know that these people know every trick in the book and get everything they want whereas the genuine paddy is made jump through hoops! Call me racist I couldn't give a ****e! It is what it is

There was a time I would have thought this was racist, but there does seem a consensus in Africa that Nigerians are not to be trusted.
    A good friend of mine worked in Ghana and Gambia and he told me there the people there had a problem with Nigerians.

I went to South Africa and Namibia myself and spoke with a lot of locals, they had the same opinion, I was pretty shocked.

Having said that any Nigerians I have dealt with in Ireland were sound.

But these lads need to be convicted and deported.

end off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Gravelly wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before the Gardaí will have to be tooled up like a SWAT team any time they are called out to any of the "diversified" housing estates.

There's still a bit of room between Gardaí being unarmed, and driving around in armored vehicles, sporting automatic weapons and body armor.

How about every Guard gets issued a firearm, as is the case with police forces in almost every other country so they can defend themselves against criminals, no matter if they're white, yellow, black, brown, green or blue?

If it's such a great idea to not arm your police force, I can't help but wonder why it's not more widespread in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

I said it before

You do not confront a drug dealing gang with unarmed Guards ... That is asking for trouble... What were they thinking, seriously

So how do you know they happen daily? :confused:

How do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

While I don't want to make a blanket statement about all assaults on Gardai, bubblypop is right to a degree. This is in the media because others saw it. Most of the assaults on members happen behind closed doors where the general public don't see it, so it doesn't get reported to the media.

Source: I was a Garda for 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    There's still a bit of room between Gardaí being unarmed, and driving around in armored vehicles, sporting automatic weapons and body armor.

How about every Guard gets issued a firearm, as is the case with police forces in almost every other country so they can defend themselves against criminals, no matter if they're white, yellow, black, brown, green or blue?

If it's such a great idea to not arm your police force, I can't help but wonder why it's not more widespread in Europe.

But the gardai specifically given fire arms are afraid to use them, as in this case for example.

Armed gardai called in and then have to retreat, so them being armed made no differnce whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

thebull85 wrote: »
    But the gardai specifically given fire arms are afraid have a strict protocol as how to use them, as in this case for example.

Armed gardai called in and then have to retreat, so them being armed made no differnce whatsoever.

fixed that for you

• Advertisement

It’s in the media because it was in broad daylight with loads of witnesses and it was especially barbaric and brazen. Bubbypop is talking pony about incidents like this happening all the time going unreported or not commented on because the perpetrators are gone grown. While I think the OP has an agenda, bubbly pop is pushing one just as much from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

humberklog wrote: »

Regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

While I don't want to make a blanket statement about all assaults on Gardai, bubblypop is right to a degree. This is in the media because others saw it. Most of the assaults on members happen behind closed doors where the general public don't see it, so it doesn't get reported to the media.

Source: I was a Garda for 10 years.

Would an assault as serious as this really be brushed under the rug? I mean they had to retreat. That is as bad as it can get without someone being killed for a police force I would have thought.

I just think it’s ironic that the left is so right-on. Seriously, talking about censorship and lack of commentary when it’s a home grown dirt bag and emphasising crimes when it’s a group of ethnic extraction. Give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thebull85 wrote: »
    I think what you mean is that armed Gardai are appropriately trained to only fire their weapons when absolutely necessary. Unlike armed police in some other countries who are trained to fire once a threat refuses to comply with a command.

You'll also find that the nature of some armed units are that they will detain a suspect and then allow another unit to carry out an arrest, leaving the armed unit to leave quietly and never have to reveal their identity in arrest documents or court statements.

Given the choice between a Garda shooting making the national news and happening once, maybe twice a year in Ireland; versus 3 fatal police shootings every day in the US, I know which I'd pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Carrickmines is worrying , I thought that was part of the southside, is it still safe to go shopping there?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Rory28 wrote: »
    Would an assault as serious as this really be brushed under the rug? I mean they had to retreat. That is as bad as it can get without someone being killed for a police force I would have thought.

It's not that it is brushed under the rug, it's just not reported to the media by AGS.
    This was clearly seen by many people & AGS, had to report on it.
    Regularly happens that gardai have to retreat from situations, particularly in the country, & wait for back up.

It’s in the media because it was in broad daylight with loads of witnesses and it was especially barbaric and brazen. Bubbypop is talking pony about incidents like this happening all the time going unreported or not commented on because the perpetrators are gone grown. While I think the OP has an agenda, bubbly pop is pushing one just as much from the other side.

Bubblypop, never said they aren't reported on because they are Irish & well you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

silverharp wrote:
    Carrickmines is worrying , I thought that was part of the southside, is it still safe to go shopping there?

No there is gangs at the entrance with guns and they only let people in they know. If they don't know you they bag your head and dump you in a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    No there is gangs at the entrance with guns and they only let people in they know. If they don't know you they bag your head and dump you in a hole.

I thought so , so Fortress Dundrum town centre is now on the frontline, tis sad.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I had a customer last week. She was Swiss with a Norwegian mother and a Nigerian father. She's an architect who has lived in lots of countries around the world. She said SA was the most openly racist country she's been in. I took it she meant white on black racism- nope, wrong. Black against Nigerian- she was even told that when on night out to change or not mention her surname, if she was to use her indentifiably Nigerian name it could lead to trouble.
    She spent a year in SA using a French name and a Senegalese back story.

That got me looking up news items of attacks and prejudices in SA on Nigerians. Some serious problems there with Nigerian/SA relationships.

• Advertisement
Advertisement