Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Vote on Rule Changes for 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Given that over 60% of people have voted for a flex option involving a running back I don't think its particularly fair to do that. I can email the 16 people who voted for options 3 or 4 and ask them which of the top two options they would choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's not contentious. One person has shouted loudly, and a couple more have chipped in to agree. It would be ridiculous if their HIS opinion over ruled a free vote.

No correction. Some people gave their opinion but are happy to let it ride. One of those though decided to keep at it. I have always been against it and have given my opinion more than once. But the vote is the vote. It is unfair to those who gave their opinion against the flex to tar them with the same brush as 1 person who wont let it go.

Don't throw us all who dont like it under the bus with his shouting loudly.

Also fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Poll with 4 options, option with highest amount of votes wins. Not that complicated.

It's not exactly the referendum either is it lads.

hots wrote: »

No one said it was to be fair and as much as I think it is what it is the people have spoken doesn't mean it can't be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Poll with 4 options, option with highest amount of votes wins. Not that complicated.

A different questions with 4 options.

Would you like a salary increase?

1) No, i want to keep my current salary.

2) Yes, i'll take the salary increase with the the extra 20 work hours a week.

3) Yes, I'll take the salary increase with the requirement to start cleaning the jacks on my lunch.

4) Yes, i'll take the salary increase with lunch being reduced from 75 minutes to 60 minutes.

If someone voted to take the increase where they would have 15 mins taken off their lunch. It doesn't mean they are ok with working 20 hours a week or having to clean the jacks during their lunch. But that's exactly what is being done here with how the options were presented. In the example above i'm sure many would like a salary increase. But with terms they deem acceptable.

I'm just one example of someone who would go and change their vote to no flex if i seen one of the flex options i didn't want was leading. So who knows if there are others with the same view. If there aren't, then fair enough.

Either way i don't give much of a shíte at the end of the day and will still play. Just echoing what eagle eye was saying as it looked like no one else could see his point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yes but only 3 people voted for the option you voted for. If all 3 change their vote to no Flex then that would bring the total for that vote to 23 Votes.

We then have 13 people who voted for a Flex with WR/RB as the options for the Flex. I'll message all 13 of those and the 3 that voted for WR/TE Flex and redistribute those 16 votes among the top two options.

I think its pretty obvious what the result will be but I'll go through this exercise to make sure people can see that we are going with what the majority want to do and that it is all fairly transparent.

A different questions with 4 options.

Would you like a salary increase?

1) No, i want to keep my current salary.

2) Yes, i'll take the salary increase with the the extra 20 work hours a week.

3) Yes, I'll take the salary increase with the requirement to start cleaning the jacks on my lunch.

4) Yes, i'll take the salary increase with lunch being reduced from 75 minutes to 60 minutes.

If someone voted to take the increase where they would have 15 mins taken off their lunch. It doesn't mean they are ok with working 20 hours a week or having to clean the jacks during their lunch. But that's exactly what is being done here with how the options were presented. In the example above i'm sure many would like a salary increase. But with terms they deem acceptable.

I'm just one example of someone who would go and change their vote to no flex if i seen one of the flex options i didn't want was leading. So who knows if there are others with the same view. If there aren't, then fair enough.

Either way i don't give much of a shíte at the end of the day and will still play. Just echoing what eagle eye was saying as it looked like no one else could see his point.

From what I can see you haven't voted at all unless you post under a different username?

If you are the poster I think you are you have voted for WR/RB option.

Anyway, I've messaged everyone who voted for those latter two options now and they are free to vote for one of the leading 2 options.

A few people saw his point and agreed with him at the start of the thread. The problem is what is done is done. It makes sense given the amount of votes done just to roll with the majority over all. Either way those who said no was real low and those who selected the lesser of the 3 options was real low so even if you did a re-vote the option that is winning now would most likley win anyways.

The results of this poll are as follows:

Q1: Should we decide on draft order prior to the Draft? Yes.
    Q2: How many teams per league (Currently 16)? 16
    Q3: Once voted on rules cannot be changed for 3 full seasons? No
    Q4: Should we change to PPR, 0.5 PPR or leave it as standard scoring? Standard
    Q5: Should we Have a Flex position? Yes, Yes - 2 RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE/RB
    Q6: Should we have a Free Agent Budget for the season instead of picking in order? No leave it as is, you pick your free agent then you go to the bottom of the list
    Q7: Should points be awarded for an offensive player recovering a fumble for a TD? Yes points should be awarded
    Q8: Reduce the time to make a draft pick from 90 Seconds? Yes, Reduce to 60 Seconds
    Q9: Tie Breaking Scenario? Leave it as Head to Head

The items in bold above will require the Commish's of each league to make this change.

adrian522 wrote: »
    The results of this poll are as follows:

Q1: Should we decide on draft order prior to the Draft? Yes.
    Q2: How many teams per league (Currently 16)? 16
    Q3: Once voted on rules cannot be changed for 3 full seasons? No
    Q4: Should we change to PPR, 0.5 PPR or leave it as standard scoring? Standard
    Q5: Should we Have a Flex position? Yes, Yes - 2 RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE/RB
    Q6: Should we have a Free Agent Budget for the season instead of picking in order? No leave it as is, you pick your free agent then you go to the bottom of the list
    Q7: Should points be awarded for an offensive player recovering a fumble for a TD? Yes points should be awarded
    Q8: Reduce the time to make a draft pick from 90 Seconds? Yes, Reduce to 60 Seconds
    Q9: Tie Breaking Scenario? Leave it as Head to Head

The items in bold above will require the Commish's of each league to make this change.

Cheers Adrian, changes made for Div7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gonna be great fun this year with all the moaning when people realise just how stupid the flex idea is.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Gonna be great fun this year with all the moaning when people realise just how stupid the flex idea is.

I'd say they'll get over it

I'd say they won't and will want it changed back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Doubtful eagle eye, in a 16 team league flex just gives you more options in the draft and on game day. I doubt anyone will want to go back but I guess what will be will be.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Early days yet but so far:

64% voted to set the draft order prior to the draft

Intrigued to know how every league has done this one?

One thing I don't like about it we have to trust the GMs do a fair randomization when doing this one. We really should set a standard of they screen grab the randomization after they do it and also everyone uses the same site to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Intrigued to know how every league has done this one?

One thing I don't like about it we have to trust the GMs do a fair randomization when doing this one. We really should set a standard of they screen grab the randomization after they do it and also everyone uses the same site to do so.

Even a screen grab can be sketchy. Nothing to stop someone randomising it multiple times until they get an order they like.

http://www.draftordergenerator.com allows you to enter in email addresses to whom the results are sent. Makes sense to me to use this feature and populate the league participants' email addresses. Means the order can only be randomised once and everyone has a copy of the results straight away. Any funny business will be eliminated. It should be mandatory for every league to use this feature.

Alternatively, we could stop trying to over complicate things and have the draft room decide the order on the night like almost every other draft in the world! It was a stupid rule change.

Yeah, people should just prepare for the draft not knowing where they are drafting. I don't think it is any easier knowing what position I'll be in the first round. You still need to have an opinion on every player in the draft.

I've left it up to individual GM's how they do it but the above site would seem to be the best way of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm in 4 other leagues in the US that all started before we moved online. And we always knew our draft order the night before. We continued this online too. I personally don't know anyone I grew up with, work with etc who are in leagues for a long time that only find out 30 minutes beforehand. But as the boards league was the exception, i went with it. Mainly due to the fact it was always the last draft i done and i had put in all the work for my other leagues. So 30 minutes beforehand was fine. So i voted against the change here. But this year i had late picks in my other leagues (3 the same). So i only focused on players in that region.

And my mock drafts at the pick i have for prem division is throwing up completely different teams. So while i have a basic opinion of some players. My thorough research and cheat sheets are all detailed around the work i put in yesterday after knowing my pick. Kinda unfair to start messing around with things now. Maybe i'm the exception in this case. But the one year i only focus on the players most likely to be available to me or who i'll reach for, things could now be changed again and i'll be offline from now right up to the draft due to work/travelling. Literally entering the draft at 9 Irish time. Kinda sucks as if all this shít was sorted before now. I'd have had the time yesterday to go through every player in the top 200.

I'm in 4 other leagues in the US that all started before we moved online. And we always knew our draft order the night before. We continued this online too. I personally don't know anyone I grew up with, work with etc who are in leagues for a long time that only find out 30 minutes beforehand.

Im in 5 leagues used to be 9 and 2 of the leagues used to be in peoples houses and we would arrive at the house 2 hours before the start time and the order would be set and then we would draft. Other leagues Order has been set in advance few days to a week or based on previous years standing. There is no correct way of doing it though.

The problem for me with online leagues like boards is that most of the folk you dont know at all and people come and go. Also being part of a message board you have to depend on the GM being fair. Take if that person had a grudge with you could you honestly say you believe they are giving you a "random" spot. So may things wrong with this picking random and not letting NFL.com generate it
    And my mock drafts at the pick i have for prem division is throwing up completely different teams. So while i have a basic opinion of some players. My thorough research and cheat sheets are all detailed around the work i put in yesterday after knowing my pick. Kinda unfair to start messing around with things now. Maybe i'm the exception in this case. But the one year i only focus on the players most likely to be available to me or who i'll reach for, things could now be changed again and i'll be offline from now right up to the draft due to work/travelling. Literally entering the draft at 9 Irish time. Kinda sucks as if all this shít was sorted before now. I'd have had the time yesterday to go through every player in the top 200.

Not sure why you think something is changing? No one is messing with anything. If you are referring to the Prem its not going to change. I brought up my concern with it nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Even a screen grab can be sketchy. Nothing to stop someone randomising it multiple times until they get an order they like.

I did this for Div. 1 and put in the email of one other guy in the league that I know. I came out 16, he came out 15 :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, halfway through the season - how do people feel the option has gone? Personally I'm very happy with the flex option and don't feel it has adversely affected my league the way the detractors said it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, halfway through the season - how do people feel the option has gone? Personally I'm very happy with the flex option and don't feel it has adversely affected my league the way the detractors said it would.

Totally agree.

Anybody lose their running back for the season and been unable to replace him with even a decent no.2? I'm sure there are many this has happened to.

I'd guess that the two people who posted above have had lucky seasons where they haven't had a RB go down for the year.

Anybody lose their running back for the season and been unable to replace him with even a decent no.2? I'm sure there are many this has happened to.

I'd guess that the two people who posted above have had lucky seasons where they haven't had a RB go down for the year.

I drafted Marlon Mack and Rex Burkhead in my boards divisional league as my best running backs for the record.

I drafted Marlon Mack and Rex Burkhead in my boards divisional league as my best running backs for the record.
    Well then you are clueless so your opinion doesn't really matter.

Well then you are clueless so your opinion doesn't really matter.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

0 RB is a thing lad. It's working out alright anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'm having a losing season and likely to get relegated but I have to say I much prefer the new roster make-up.

The next one I'd like to see changed is to move the tie breaker system to Points Scored. That seems to be a far better way of separating teams with identical records.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

The next one I'd like to see changed is to move the tie breaker system to Points Scored. That seems to be a far better way of separating teams with identical records.

Absolutely love the tie break/fixture set up we have now. Would hate for it to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

0 RB is a thing lad. It's working out alright anyway.

It is. But not in a 16 team league.

Advertisement