Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smarter PAYG meter minimum contract?

Options
  • 01-05-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, as title mentions is there a minimum term for having this meter installed? Thinking of getting it but what if I dont like this and want to remove it and go back to bill pay again in a few months. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Tommtommy,

Thank you for getting in touch.

A 12-month contract will just apply if you are switching to Electric Ireland from another electricity provider.

With regard to your query specifically, if a customer switches to Electric Ireland for Smarter PAYG and then changes to paying Electric Ireland by direct debit during the 12 months, this does not affect their contract.

Breaking contract is switching to another energy provider before the contract expires, therefore a customer who just changes payment method from PAYG to direct debit during the 12 months does not incur a penalty, as they are remaining with the same company.

Here is a guide to Electric Ireland Smarter PAYG.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommtommy

Thanks Una. 
        Also just wondered what is the unit price on PAYG , is it more expensive per unit than bill pay? I am already a customer so I might give it a go to see if I can make some savings this way. My bills just seem to keep going up and up.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Tommtommy,

Thanks for your post - we are happy to advise.

The unit rate is the same for billing and PAYG, however a PAYG meter does incur a daily service charge (this is the case for all electricity companies) and customers who pay by direct debit receive a saving on every bill. This saving is not applicable for PAYG.

Overall, direct debit is the lowest-cost way to pay. The unusually low temperatures for an unusually prolonged period of time (into April) has caused Winter usage patterns to remain late on this year, however, bill costs are starting to drop now and will continue to do so.

If you have any further questions, we will return tomorrow morning.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement