Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marrying US citizen.

Options
  • 01-05-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I need some guidance, my partner is American and has moved back to the US. I intend to follow her back there and marry.

This is where it all gets complicated.
    Lots of options, K-1 Visa, CR-1 Visa, or fly over propose on a whim and marry over there.

I know lots of people here have gone through this. So what where your experiences like.
    And obviously which is the quickest option that allows me to legally work there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I got married over there. Moved back to Ireland (with her) for a few years. Applied for a green card and moved out there. Living in the US now.

If you're going to be living in the US for the foreseeable future, you could go over on there and get married and then file an adjustment of status and apply for your green card from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

We looked at the options and decided on the K1 back in 2010, wanted everything above board. Applied summer 2009, approved Christmas 2009, moved in Jan 2010, and one we were married, applied for the change in status. This that took ~2-3 months I think.   
    Entering the country as a tourist with the intention of getting married is considered immigration fraud, I know people who've done it and it' a lot more paperwork to adjust status, they got an immigration lawyer to handle it. Why deal with the stress of hiding it. We found Immihelp.com website useful.

Advertisement