Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car blocking manhole access

Options
  • 01-05-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for advice regarding access to a manhole down the street. 
    I am getting a new phone line installed at my house and an engineer needs access to a manhole to complete the installation. The manhole in on the footpath down the street and a car has been parked on top of it for over a week now. It's not unusual for cars to park on the footpaths here as there is plenty of room. I have tried numerous times knocking on doors of the houses near the car and my polite note under the wiper has gone untouched for a week, it's obvious that the car has not been moved in this time.
    What are my options here for getting the car towed or moved somehow? There is no issue with where it is parked, not blocking a driveway or causing an obstruction to anyone else, is there a reasonable length of time to wait before taking action?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If its on a public footpath I don't see how its parked legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sean.c90

True. It's parked on a car-sized patch of grass between driveways, probably still not 100% legal. I guess I have grounds to get it removed, or make a few calls anyway, would this be a case for the council or the Gardai? It's been a frustrating week!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Like so I would assume:

wIi1wqE.png

AGS will be slow to have it towed over that, but access to manholes should be maintained. They may be willing to try and contact the registered keeper on your behalf.

Maybe offer the local Rugby/GAA team a slab of cans if they shift it a few feet either direction for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Surely it's the engineers problem to worry about access to a manhole cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Milkman.. wrote: »

Yes and they'll worry about it exactly this much:

Can I get access? No? Okay See ya.

I see biscuit tin lids coming to this thread :pac:

• Advertisement

Milkman.. wrote: »

And what if he says not my problem and walks away the OP won't get their new phone line.

There is a chance that there is no need to access the manhole at all, because all the available connections are probably terminated on the nearest pole anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

my3cents wrote: »
    There is a chance that there is no need to access the manhole at all, because all the available connections are probably terminated on the nearest pole anyway.

OP wouldnt be asking if the FST hadn't failed an install already. OpenEir techs won't get involved, just code it as "NO ACCESS OBTAINED" in the work order and move to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sean.c90

The engineers definitely need access and yep, their attitude is exactly what you guys have described above. ED E that's the problem I have right there, a couple of ruddy blokes would indeed sort this out!
    This is the last step in what has been a three month long debacle with Eir, over this time I have learned to not expect any help or meaningful customer service from them. It's just my luck that someone has seemingly abandoned their car like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Mail council - say it is abandoned. They will put a notice on it and remove it after a week or so. Faster if the numberplates fall off beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Mail council - say it is abandoned. They will put a notice on it and remove it after a week or so. Faster if the numberplates fall off beforehand.

Its awful windy out there today ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think the OP has got the message.
    In the interests of not propogating illegal advice- thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement