Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington in late June

Options
  • 01-05-2018 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I am planing to spend four or five days in Washington D.C. in late June (25th to 28th probably). From the reading I've done so far, I am a little concerned about the weather, and specifically how warm it may be, particularly as I plan to do a lot of walking/cycling to see the sights.

Does anyone have experience of being there in late June, and if yes did you find the heat manageable, or did you find that it restricted what you did and caused you to stay indoors a lot?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hi.

I am planing to spend four or five days in Washington in late June (25th to 28th probably). From the reading I've done so far, I am a little concerned about the weather, and specifically how warm it may be, particularly as I plan to do a lot of walking/cycling to see the sights.

Does anyone have experience of being there in late June, and if yes did you find the heat manageable, or did you find that it restricted what you did and caused you to stay indoors a lot?

Thanks.

Not being pedantic but do you mean DC or Washington state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not being pedantic but do you mean DC or Washington state?

Clearly D.C. given the question of heat.

I was there in August OP, and that’s when most of the city packs up. It is very humid and hot but manageable if you are healthy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks Franz, and yes, I mean Washington D.C.

So I guess shorts and T-shirt for outside and carry a fleece for when I go into air-conditioned building ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also think about getting one of those ultra-lght plastic rain cape things as the area is prone to thunderstorms. The one I experienced was the most sudden and torrential I've ever been in and would have had a person drenched in a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

tricky D wrote: »
    Also think about getting one of those ultra-lght plastic rain cape things as the area is prone to thunderstorms. The one I experienced was the most sudden and torrential I've ever been in and would have had a person drenched in a few seconds.

And then there’s the half hour relief from the humidity. Almost worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Clearly D.C. given the question of heat.

I was there in August OP, and that’s when most of the city packs up. It is very humid and hot but manageable if you are healthy enough.

Not that clear given Washington State can hit mid 20s in June (a very hot summer day here) but heigh ho now that we have established it's DC I've nothing further to add to what others have said other than the obvious - dress comfortably (but bear in mind some tourist places are a bit iffy about runners/sports shoes) and if you keep hydrated you should be ok, try and do the longer walks/cycles early in the day or in the evening and indoor stuff in the hottest part of the day. Have a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Parkman77

You can be looking at temps of +30 degrees on any given day June - August in DC.
    Cover up and drink lots of liquids.
    The same stuff you would normally do anywhere that’s hot like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I was in DC early September and I won't lie - the humidity was horrendous. It was hot (low 30's - which I can handle) but even taking a few steps drains the life out of you with the humidity - lots of fluids and maybe take one of the hop on/off buses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

tmh106 wrote: »
    Thanks Franz, and yes, I mean Washington D.C.

So I guess shorts and T-shirt for outside and carry a fleece for when I go into air-conditioned building ;-)

No. Not a fleece. Something that heavy would be a pain in the neck to have to tote around on hot day. Have you something a bit lighter, that you can tie around your waist/neck? Or a light, non wool cardi that can handle being stuffed into a handbag/backpack without coming out all crumpled. A sun visor is a good investment too. Keeps the sun out of your eyes, without messing up the hair do. Dunnes/Pennys have them for less than a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No. Not a fleece. Something that heavy would be a pain in the neck to have to tote around on hot day. Have you something a bit lighter, that you can tie around your waist/neck? Or a light, non wool cardi that can handle being stuffed into a handbag/backpack without coming out all crumpled. A sun visor is a good investment too. Keeps the sun out of your eyes, without messing up the hair do. Dunnes/Pennys have them for less than a fiver.

Thanks ProudDub. Yes, I understand. I'll probably bring a lightweight long sleeved cotton top, so something like that. For outdoors we will wear non-cotton clothing - probably "technical" running or walking tops (lightweight and absorb much less moisture than cotton.

Thanks for all the advice/information. The heat I thought about but not the humidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not so much the heat but the exceptional humidity can be exhausting mid summer OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Been here nearly 4 years now and really enjoy this weather where the summer lasts 6 months! Late June will be humid where it can be anything from the 70s to the 90s so always carry water with you when out and about and take advantage of shade as much as possible.

While it is a small city and very walkable you might want to take advantage of the numerous cycling and scooters here that are available to rent. Most are now dockless too which will be of help.

One example is the walk from the Capitol to the Lincoln Monument. While you can see one from the other in a straight line lots of people make the mistake of walking that route in the heat!

Scroll down here and you will see I posted tips on what to see and do a few months ago.

Advertisement