Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Interested in working on the mines in canada $$$

Options
  • 01-05-2018 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi is there anyone on here interested in or know anyone working in or thinking of heading to Canada to work on the mines as a machine driver, Has anyone any info on the best way to secure work there and what kinda money can be made there?
    Any input at all will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I don't know anything about that field but I can think of some obvious questions.

Do you have a visa?
    Are you eligible for one?
    Is this a field where they would hire people on a temporary visa?
    Do you have certifications or experience as a machine driver?

The broader question: why would they hire a stranger from Ireland whose references and certs are harder to check and who might need a visa, rather than Max from down the road? (This is the general problem with seeking work abroad: the solutions are usually 'have really specific qualifications' and/or 'be really good'.)

Not trying to rain on your parade, just warning you to be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hymac

I don't know anything about that field but I can think of some obvious questions.

Do you have a visa?
    Are you eligible for one?
    Is this a field where they would hire people on a temporary visa?
    Do you have certifications or experience as a machine driver?

The broader question: why would they hire a stranger from Ireland whose references and certs are harder to check and who might need a visa, rather than Max from down the road? (This is the general problem with seeking work abroad: the solutions are usually 'have really specific qualifications' and/or 'be really good'.)

Not trying to rain on your parade, just warning you to be realistic.

1. not yet
    Next 3 yes
    Broader question:The Canada oil fields have far more positions to fill than Max down the road and all his mates and his family could ever fill thats why they look abroad to fill these positions and are paying big bucks to get people there, the world is a small place these days.
    All valid questions by the way Im sure others were thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The broader question: why would they hire a stranger from Ireland whose references and certs are harder to check and who might need a visa, rather than Max from down the road?

Do you actually know anything about Canada or its economy?

In 2011, 22% of the population were first-generation immigrants. A further 17.4% were second-generation. Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Do you actually know anything about Canada or its economy?

I do, looked into getting a visa at one point and have spent time there. It wasn't clear from the original post whether he had special job skills that would assist with a visa; now it's clear he does.

Advertisement