Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glow light tetra progressive degeneration

Options
  • 01-05-2018 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have some glow light tetras who are suffering from a progressive illness. It starts with a dip developing just behind the dorsal fin that gets worse and worse until the fish is totally deformed and eventually it dies after about a month. The fish doesn’t appear to suffer and eats as normal.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

kylith wrote: »
    I have some glow light tetras who are suffering from a progressive illness. It starts with a dip developing just behind the dorsal fin that gets worse and worse until the fish is totally deformed and eventually it dies after about a month. The fish doesn’t appear to suffer and eats as normal.

Any ideas?

It could be fish TB. I would recommmend culling any fish that shows these symptoms to try prevent it spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Knine wrote: »
    It could be fish TB. I would recommmend culling any fish that shows these symptoms to try prevent it spreading.

Ah, balls. Did some googling, looks like it is.

Practical Fishkeeping recommends depopulating the entire tank and a scorched-earth policy.

Heartbroken. I’ve a well grown 6” female bristlenose I’ve had since she was the size of my little finger. :,(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I had those symptoms before. I just culled any unwell fish. Clove oil works great. I have found Tetra to be the ones that always get unwell with it. Maybe just dispose of the Tetra. I would hang on to the Bristlenose.

I might hang on to her and quarantine her for a month, but I currently don’t have a QT tank so don’t know how I can disinfect the tank.

I’ll have to change some stuff round so she can’t hide and I can watch her for symptoms. Would break my heart to cull her.

Started losing ember tetras now.

Assuming I don't euthanise the bristlenose and she is a carrier are there any species that tend to be immune to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Be careful, as the bacteria causing this could be transferred to you.

Thanks, for that. I've researched it a fair bit now and it's not looking good.

One ember turned blue and died, one has bloat, and two glowlights are showing signs of spinal deformity :(

I'm still dithering a bit, but I can't find anything about fish that might be immune; the thought of euthanising my BN is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That sucks. I take it the scarlets have been taken by the same dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It is. And even if the fish don't catch it they're carriers, so my lovely BN has to go too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Sorry to hear this. It's rotten when sickness takes hold in your tank. :(

Advertisement