Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

man told to stop mowing grass beside house

Options
  • 01-05-2018 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

i seen an article on bbc news an hour ago were a man in yorkshire uk was told by the council to stop mowing the grass beside his house in which he had done for twelve years due to health and safety concerns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nothing to see here. He’s mowing the councils grass and doesn’t have public liability insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nothing to see here. He’s mowing the councils grass and doesn’t have public liability insurance.

No NCT for the mower either

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's political correctness gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Common sense is not too common at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Common sense is not too common at all.
    The rarest of superpowers.

I wish someone would tell me I can't cut the grass outside the house, I get stung to do the houses both sides of me, elderly people living on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If I tender to do similar work for the council i probably need €5million in public liability, possibly more with the proximity of houses and kids.

We did a job along a road with a digger and we had to provide evidence of €12million in PL before starting. No houses within 3Km

This reflects the nature of people now, society has changed hugely in the 12 years since he started.

Once the council know he’s doing the work on their property they have a duty of care. If they know and allow him to continue - say he looses a finger in the mower, while working on their property with their knowledge, he could easily and likely take a huge wedge of cash from them in return.

I'd imagine the Council are more than happy to let him at it.

But they can't officially say that. The official stance has to be 'it's our land, don't do anything to or on it', but in real life he should be grand to do what he wants.

He must not be liked by a neighbour. The Council got in touch after he planted trees. How would they ever even know? A neighbour doesn't like him and gave out, I'd say.

I live in a Council estate and you can pretty much do what you want. The only time you get any hassle is if you annoy a neighbour. Loads of sheds and extensions around here for example, that would never be allowed legally, but no one cares as it's not causing a problem and the Council will never see them (or if they do, generally don't care, either).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

_Brian wrote: »
    If I tender to do similar work for the council i probably need €5million in public liability, possibly more with the proximity of houses and kids.

We did a job along a road with a digger and we had to provide evidence of €12million in PL before starting. No houses within 3Km.
    I need that much to do a website! There's no talking to them. Same rules for all suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd imagine the Council are more than happy to let him at it.

But they can't officially say that. The official stance has to be 'it's our land, don't do anything to or on it', but in real life he should be grand to do what he wants.

He must not be liked by a neighbour. The Council got in touch after he planted trees. How would they ever even know? A neighbour doesn't like him and gave out, I'd say.

I live in a Council estate and you can pretty much do what you want. The only time you get any hassle is if you annoy a neighbour. Loads of sheds and extensions around here for example, that would never be allowed legally, but no one cares as it's not causing a problem and the Council will never see them (or if they do, generally don't care, either).

This possibly very close to the truth, but like I said, once the council officially know they are in the situation where they just can’t turn a blind eye and let it continue.

Now, if he continues I’d imagine it could be an awfully long time until any further action is taken. Unless it’s continually brought to their attention by a “concerned” citizen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement