Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol substitution

Options
  • 01-05-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am looking for some advice regarding bringing in a pistol from Northern Ireland. I currently have a pistol that I intend substituting. The pistol I want (Ruger Mark IV) is available through a dealer in the North, he is willing to trade in my current pistol. My questions are as follows ...
    Do I need an import license and export license to conclude the deal ?
    If "Yes" can this be done privately or only through a dealer in the south ?
    And finally why can dealers in the south not get Ruger pistols thru' the UK ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

mac10guns wrote: »
    Do I need an import license and export license to conclude the deal ?
    Yes and yes. For the export you tick "Permanent Export".
    If "Yes" can this be done privately or only through a dealer in the south ?
    Either one.
    And finally why can dealers in the south not get Ruger pistols thru' the UK ?
    I suspect its one of two reasons:
    1. They don't bother
    2. They cannot as the importer resides in the north (McCLoys in Antrim import a lot of stuff from the UK and distribute in the South)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cos pistols are banned in the mainland UK?
    [Apart from long barrelled yokes with a coat hanger stuck in the butt:pac:]
    And no dealer is going to be able to import one unless they can deal with sect 5 weapons? In short it is a hassle for a non-existent Uk market.

Now a smart bear would look to the EU for something like that, where they can deal with much easier paperwork and the same currency, and probably save a few quids as well rather than dealing in STG/Euro changeover.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/individuals_admin_and_forms
    Do the paper work yourself it will save you a few euro, do your deal and export documents soon, before NI leaves the EU just incase.
    Im guessing you will have to export your old pistol and buy the Ruger and then licence it, prior to applying for your import licence as you need to have the ruger licenced to import it you also need an Article 7 from your local District to go with your import application.

As Grizly has mentioned you can bring a pistol in yourself from Europe, an other option is keep the pistol you have and buy and licence the ruger , you aren't limited to 1 .22 pistol , have one with open sights and stick a big red dot on the other .

Advertisement