Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical calls for other services?

Options
  • 01-05-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

How often do other services respond to medical calls? Like the Fire Services (the ones that arent integrated with Ambo) and An Garda Siochana?I have seen quite a few times where Gardai show up to a place where a person was having a stroke and when an unconcious male on the street before the ambulance , i think to a choking once aswell in a restaurant , nothing from fire services apart from Clare Fire & rescue dealing with a cardiac arrest since there was no ambo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Aaron_998

Realisticly it’s down to a numbers game, 11/12000 gardai, 2000/3000 paramedics/emts. With the expection of Dublin and DFB, gardai will almost always be likely to be 1st on scene. My take on it. Open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There was a case of ASU/RSU gardai providing first aid recently in Dublin. Their role would have them pretty heavily trained I suspect so it makes sense when they aren't otherwise engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'd imagine if it's a RTA, public event Gardai will be called for crowd control as much as providing critical care.

Also, if there's doubt as to the details of the situation, again I think Gardai and possibly other services could be sent as much as a precaution as for a definitive reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Armed response are trained up to EFR, at least the ones I worked alongside were. Most fire fighters are as well. I don't work for the ambulance service so I can't say this for certain but I do believe the dispatchers try to use every resource they can get their hands on to get care where it's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

I think it largely comes down to whatever the dispatcher thinks and what service the public have called, not everyone thinks to ask for an ambulance and opt for the gardai if they're unsure.
    For example if somebody becomes unconscious or has a medical issue on a public street or in a shop, there's a large chance somebody has called the gardai as well as the ambulance, or NEOC has asked for gardai too because it's in a public place and causing a bit of a stir. Just to check it out and maybe give them an update as to whats going on because there's a lot of confusion from the people who call 112. 
    As for things like strokes and medical calls, I've never seen that happen unless somebody calls the gardai first, and they'll just pass it onto NEOC but also send a squad car down because they initially took the call. 
    For cardiac arrests sure, due to the serious circumstances of what's happening. Also if there's a lot of shouting or confusion, people upset in the background or on the phone NEOC might think it's a good idea to send down the gardai too even if its not aggressive sounding, just to lend a hand and sus it out. 
    It comes down to a lot of factors. There have been plenty of calls too where gardai should have been dispatched but they weren't until ambulance asks them. 
    I've never seen fire service be sent out unless it involves something technical. i.e difficult location to access, or a call in a place such as a factory. 
    As well, some more experienced dispatchers and call takers would have a better grip on what needs and doesn't need to be sent. Other dispatchers prob don't give a shíte, then others might be overly willing to send additional resources.
    It's all very inconsistent and tbh I've never even thought about it until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The way it worked a couple of years ago was that the BT Call centre taking the 999 contacts the most relevant service. The dispatcher in that service may then ring another service if they believe it is required. For example, a man drops unconscious in his own home. If there is no history of medical conditions to cause this, ambulance control will ring the Gardai as there's no clear indication of no foul play. It's a preservation of evidence thing. Plus, Gardai should be up to date with the basic first aid (if the state has kept them up to date), and like mentioned above, there are more Gardai than paramedics, so it would be a good guess that the Gardai would get there first.

Same with RTC's, ambulance/fire control will ring the Guards regardless.

The way it worked a couple of years ago was that the BT Call centre taking the 999 contacts the most relevant service. The dispatcher in that service may then ring another service if they believe it is required. For example, a man drops unconscious in his own home. If there is no history of medical conditions to cause this, ambulance control will ring the Gardai as there's no clear indication of no foul play. It's a preservation of evidence thing. Plus, Gardai should be up to date with the basic first aid (if the state has kept them up to date), and like mentioned above, there are more Gardai than paramedics, so it would be a good guess that the Gardai would get there first.

Same with RTC's, ambulance/fire control will ring the Guards regardless.

I haven't had my first aid refreshed by AGS since I left the college in 2008. You'd do well finding a fully stocked first aid kit in most patrol cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

foreign wrote: »
    I haven't had my first aid refreshed by AGS since I left the college in 2008. You'd do well finding a fully stocked first aid kit in most patrol cars.

I did a kind of busmans holiday with the FDNY EMS a few years ago, we did quite a few calls where the NYPD had arrived before us and initiated care, any of the squad cars I came across were well kitted. Back home I see the frustration on AGS crews who have the skills but lack equipment, although recently I arrived at the the scene of a call and an AGS Armed Unit was on scene with AED attached, CPR ongoing and rescue ventilations, very impressive and well clued in crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I did a kind of busmans holiday with the FDNY EMS a few years ago, we did quite a few calls where the NYPD had arrived before us and initiated care, any of the squad cars I came across were well kitted. Back home I see the frustration on AGS crews who have the skills but lack equipment, although recently I arrived at the the scene of a call and an AGS Armed Unit was on scene with AED attached, CPR ongoing and rescue ventilations, very impressive and well clued in crew.

It's easy to be that prepared when you don't have to do paperwork! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

There is little or no upskilling first aid after members leave temple more. It's actually embarrassing. There should be AEDs in every district patrol car and members trained accordingly. Unfortunately senior management see training as a burden on their budget and resources. That's why AGS is in the toilet at the moment.

• Advertisement

That's why AGS is in the toilet at the moment.

That and the lack of investment in adequate equipment, stations, uniform. The inability to move forward with the times. The failure to recruit during the recession. There's a lot more but you get the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

foreign wrote: »

We're the same in the defence forces, unless you're in the medical corp you have to actively push for continued [medical] training.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

Some (if not all) of the ASU are trained to EMT level if not EMT BTEC so it's probably unfair to compare them to other gardai!

Advertisement