Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday world - the new breed of Scummer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Blazer wrote: »
    To make it worse Niall Collins congratulated her on being a pro and to ignore the naysayers. What a dickhead. Sucking up to the media in case he gets the justice portfolio if FF get in at the next election.

Where was this? I really dont like Niall Collins, he's almost like the Limerick Healy-rae!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mc Love wrote:
    Where was this? I really dont like Niall Collins, he's almost like the Limerick Healy-rae!

I think that is very unfair. He is by far the best of the county td's. The other two are a joke. Niall Collins is fairly progressive on many issues considering he is representing west limerick, that can be a very backward place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Regeneration was a complete failure
    Why I don’t agree with hyping up low level criminals unfortunately there is a new generation of them ask people living in certain areas of the city

panda100 wrote: »
    I think that is very unfair. He is by far the best of the county td's. The other two are a joke. Niall Collins is fairly progressive on many issues considering he is representing west limerick, that can be a very backward place.

I think you're mistaking him for James Collins! Niall Collins gives Fianna Fail a bad name, and its not that good to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

How has it worked out for organised crime in Dublin?

Bear in mind the amount of gangland murders since 1996..there are well over 200 unsolved murders in Dublin, that was before the current vicious feud.

In an Irish context there are no successful criminals who will live to ripe old age enjoying the fruits of their ill gotten gains. The most notorious have all been destroyed by their own basic greed and sheer stupidity but, above all else, by effective police work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

chicorytip wrote: »
    In an Irish context there are no successful criminals who will live to ripe old age enjoying the fruits of their ill gotten gains. The most notorious have all been destroyed by their own basic greed and sheer stupidity but, above all else, by effective police work.

There are over 200 unsolved gangland murders in Dublin, we have no idea how many organised crime gangs operate in Dublin, we know that it is the country's largest market by some distance for drug suppliers...we do not know much more than that...so, I'll ask again, what merit is there in sensationalist journalism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mc Love wrote: »

out on twitter.
    Yeah the same Collins who was giving about to google about some issue with google maps.
    Tosspot.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/limerick-city-falls-off-the-google-map-1.441966

Blazer wrote: »
    out on twitter.
    Yeah the same Collins who was giving about to google about some issue with google maps.
    Tosspot.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/limerick-city-falls-off-the-google-map-1.441966

Great example of what a noise machine he is! Constantly in the press spouting ****e, he's the FF mouthpiece of anything controversial in Limerick

There are over 200 unsolved gangland murders in Dublin, we have no idea how many organised crime gangs operate in Dublin, we know that it is the country's largest market by some distance for drug suppliers...we do not know much more than that...so, I'll ask again, what merit is there in sensationalist journalism?

What she (Tallant) writes appears to be factual and accurate. Her main sources of information are senior gardai, I presume. Tabloid journalism, by it's very nature, tends to be sensationalist with often times lurid headline and photographic content. This should not be dismissed as hyperbole or lazy reportage. The Irish Times coverage of the Dublin murders has been no less comprehensive than that of the Sunday World - particularly in relation to the main instigators of the fued - but, of course, is presented in a far more restrained manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

So I posted last week asking of the content of the piece. Anything of note lads aside from the SW is a stinking pile of shoite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

chicorytip wrote: »
    What she (Tallant) writes appears to be factual and accurate. Her main sources of information are senior gardai, I presume. Tabloid journalism, by it's very nature, tends to be sensationalist with often times lurid headline and photographic content. This should not be dismissed as hyperbole or lazy reportage. The Irish Times coverage of the Dublin murders has been no less comprehensive than that of the Sunday World - particularly in relation to the main instigators of the fued - but, of course, is presented in a far more restrained manner.

Irish media is tabloid, from top to bottom, it has no standards, it doesn't do investigative journalism, it doesn't do balance, from RTE, to the Irish Times, to the Sunday World...they just all package it a little differently.

As a result, Irish journalists are no more than glorified curtain twitchers, curtain twitchers with ego's and no self awareness.

Tabloid journalism is toxic, we often look at the British tabloid press with disdain over here, but our press are even worse! So I respectfully but completely disagree with you, these pieces serve no purpose whatsoever...their aim is the lowest common denominator...they achieve it consistently.

This country, would be much better off with proper journalism, but instead we get a Dublin Press pack who struggle to conseal their own ingrained parochialism!

So I posted last week asking of the content of the piece. Anything of note lads aside from the SW is a stinking pile of shoite.

It names and contains photographs of two individuals (one a female) from seperate factions whom, they allege, are now the main suppliers of Illegal drugs in the Mid-West region. Whether this is newsworthy or not is a matter for debate.

Advertisement