Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father moving job close to babies due date

Options
  • 01-05-2018 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My partner is expecting a baby, due in July.
    I have been considering leaving my current role and and interesting one has finally come available.

I am considering applying, but before applying and wasting everyone's time, I would like to hear if anyone else has changed jobs so close to a babies due date?

Friends with children have advised us that a newborn is a lot of change and so we should minimize change for the first few months.

Is it better to stay put for the first few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

JueDuly wrote: »
    I have been considering leaving my current role and and interesting one has finally come available.

I am considering applying, but before applying and wasting everyone's time, I would like to hear if anyone else has changed jobs so close to a babies due date?

Friends with children have advised us that a newborn is a lot of change and so we should minimize change for the first few months.

Is it better to stay put for the first few months?

I moved job (and country) with my wife and three week old twins. In my opinion it’s no big deal as long as you have a good attitude to work and wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No don't do it. Stay where you are until things settle down. Just been through a new arrival and it's not worth the stress I don't know why you would want to add additional stress at this important time. There is jobs everywhere and they will still be there later this year too

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Speaking as someone who has a one month old, I don't think it'd bother me at all if my partner changed jobs around the due date. As long as your paternity leave is still okay then I don't see an issue.
    How does your partner feel about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JueDuly wrote: »
    Is your current job causing you stress? If not, stay there, as you'll probably get more leeway regarding taking a day off to help herself, rather than trying to get a day off in a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

In general I don't buy into the minimizing change argument, but that said it certainly can be the case that a new arrival can be stressful, particularly if things do not play out exactly to the plan which you had imagined, which can quite often be the case.

Another thing to consider, would the timing mean that you would be looking to take time off very soon after starting the new position? This never paints a great picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭suilegorma

Is this your first child? We were totally bamboozled by our first one and honestly not a hope would we have coped with a job change too. But dh changed jobs two weeks after the late arrival of our second child and it was fine, we kept up childcare for our first child and I was way more confident and capable to care for the new baby alone. But he did get his paternity leave in for his old job. If you do apply and get offered and if there's a chance of extending out the start date then do, and enjoy the time off either before or after birth. Check if you plan to utilise health insurance to pay for the delivery etc as if you switch in or out of an employer plan there might be an impact on coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Personally I find the first few weeks of a new job quite tiring as it is, as there's often so much new info to take in. How well do you cope with not much sleep?

The new place could be very understanding, so I wouldn't rule it out immediately. But it is quite a lot going on at the same time. If your partner has a C section, that's going to put extra demands on you.
    Speaking as someone who has a one month old, I don't think it'd bother me at all if my partner changed jobs around the due date. As long as your paternity leave is still okay then I don't see an issue.
    How does your partner feel about it?

I think there's also a question on whether it's a good thing for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

when in work you build up relationships with co workers and boss etc. You may need time off for doctors appointments, you will be lacking sleep, and your ability to work unexpected hours /cover etc may be limited. If you already know your boss and co-workers then they tend to mentally cut you slack.

but when you change job you are starting again. if their initial impression of you is not positive it can be very hard to change. now i changed job when my child was just due. It did cause a little friction with my boss , but i do genuinely think that was more of a reflection on him, than me.
    Its a judgement call - is the new job worth extra stress etc? Would there be another opportunity in 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Depends on a lot of things, If the job is closer to home, then yes I would recommend that as I done similar on my second.

The one thing to note is that you will probably be a walking zombie and you should always try to make a good impression in the first 90 days of a new job. Chances are that you won't be able to do that as you will be shattered.

You may also need to be somewhat flexible and have to leave early, come in late and this is hard to do in a new job whereas you have a lot more leeway if you are an established employee. If you have a rapport with your colleagues they will mop up the slack and your managers will also let things slide as they know you and your situation.

The first few months of a new job is also quite strenuous and stressful, this will be exacerbated by the baby and it can put a strain on a relationship.

If this is a job you have been waiting for and doesn't come around a lot, then I would go for it, if not, then you are best staying where you are until after 6 months, especially if it's your first as you are in for a massive change.

If you decide to take the plunge, I would mention it to the prospective new employers as they don't want to be landed with it and if they are parents themselves, they may be sympathetic and cut you some slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

JueDuly, you didn't give us enough information for us to be able to advise you properly.

Can I ask:

How far away is your current job?
    How long have you been there?
    Are you happy there?
    Does the new job have a better salary?
    How often do opportunities like this job come about?
    Finally, are you ready for a baby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oddly enough, the arrival of a child may be the perfect time to change things up, because your entire life is about to be thrown into disarray anyway. It'll take 2-4 months for things to settle down and to establish a proper routine, but until then you'll be all over the place.

That said of course, an established job where they'll make allowances for time off and for tiredness, and where you can go in and just work mindlessly all day, is a nice escape. The stress of having to go in and give a new job 100% when you're gotten 3 hours sleep last night, may be too much.

The question is really about just how much of an opportunity the new role is - is it the kind of thing that only comes up once every five years? Is it a massive pay rise (20%+)? Is it 30 minutes closer to home?

One recommendation I would give you though is to apply anyway. Go for interviews, and be honest that you have a baby on the way, due in July. By doing so, you're not wasting anyone's time. And if they offer you the job, they do so in full knowledge of your circumstances. If they don't offer you the job, then you've dusted off some interview cobwebs.

You never know how these things will turn out; you could apply, you might not hear anything back until the middle of June, do two interviews in the course of June & July and then get offered a position starting at the end of August/Early September.

It's really easy to talk yourself out of applying for a job, but realistically you lose nothing by applying for it. You're talking yourself out of applying based on what might happen if you got the job. Apply and see what happens. You can get all the way to being offered a job, having a contract in your hand, and you still have the option to back out. So why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's really easy to talk yourself out of applying for a job, but realistically you lose nothing by applying for it. You're talking yourself out of applying based on what might happen if you got the job. Apply and see what happens. You can get all the way to being offered a job, having a contract in your hand, and you still have the option to back out. So why not?

Or see if your current employers will counter offer... its an employee's market.

Advertisement