Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smear Test Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

So this will possibly draw the ire of a lot of people here, but anyway. First of all, I lost my own Mother to cancer as a teenager so I know what those kids are going through. However, tough as it may be, there has absolutely been a lot of misrepresentation of the facts of this case by media (who played the story up), by politians (who grabbed it for the political capital it offered) & by solicitors (who grabbed it for all the euros it offered).

Some people still appear to think that the Cervical Check scandal is about women who had cancer but failed to be diagnosed of this fact. Not true.

A simplified version:
    1. You go for a Cervical Screening test - this analyses cells that MAY give warning signs or risk factors that she could develop cancer at a later date. This is a WIDE net and is never, and probably will never be, 100% accurate. You can get false positives (indicating that you might develop cancer, but never do), or false negatives (where there are no warning signs but you still develop cancer). In fact, these tests can show the cells to be completely clear, but you can still develop cancer later. Yes, I know, cancer is a f***ing c*nt.
    2. Anyway, the screening is done and everything appears to be ok.
    3. You get cervical cancer. i.e. you are diagnosed with cancer. This is different from cancer screening, which attempts to identify risk factors.
    4. At this point, the screening test results are sent back to the labs for an audit. This is done in order to identify what can be improved for future tests. It's an iterative process that would not have changed the cancer diagnosis. In most countries, these audit results are not sent back to the patient, but are kept confidential. In Ireland the results of the audit are sent to the patient. This is where the Scally Report saw problems - communication was crap, doctors were pricks, etc, etc.

The Scally Report also found that in there was nothing wrong with the Cervical Check program, neither was anything done wrong by the companies that were employed to do the tests and the audits. However, the last thing the government wanted was to bring terminally ill women to court, so decided to pay out.

As sad as this case is, I'm not sure these payouts should have been made. That said I'm glad for the kids as I believe these payouts came from the US medical companies, who are all too familiar with sucking cash out of patients in the US, so yeah, f**k them. However, if the taxpayer suddenly has to pay a redress scheme of (as has been reported) 500 million euros, then that's a different story.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Cervival screen tests, it is a vital service. And of course, coupled with the HPV vaccine means 2018 is a much better place for women in terms of preventing and screening for cervical cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

tretorn wrote: »
    But the important thing to remember is no one got cancer because they werent told the test results were incorrect.
    If someone gets cancer after screening their smears are re examined. This tester knows the person who the smears belong to has cancer so this sudit is different to normal testing.
    The women should have bern told the tests gave a false result but there is no guarantee even if cancer is picked up early that it wont come back. It mightnt even come back in the cervix, it could come back somewhere else in the body.
    People are looking for guaratees with cancer and there are none unfortuneately.

Well you are missing the point

The women that the screening failed (in some cases more than once) - and it should not have failed if the smears were read properly - they would have been referred for a colposcopy and thereafter if necessary would have commenced active clinical intervention.

Instead what we have are women like Ms Mhic Mhathuna who had delayed treatment and a much poorer outcome than had intervention started earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

McCrack wrote: »
    Well you are missing the point

The women that the screening failed (in some cases more than once) - and it should not have failed if the smears were read properly - they would have been referred for a colposcopy and thereafter if necessary would have commenced active clinical intervention.

Instead what we have are women like Ms Mhic Mhathuna who had delayed treatment and a much poorer outcome than had intervention started earlier.

That is not what was found by the Scally Report.
    "The Scoping Inquiry considers there is no reason, on quality grounds, why the existing contracts for laboratory services should not continue until the new HPV testing regime has been introduced."
    Section 6.11 - https://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Scoping-Inquiry-into-CervicalCheck-Final_Report.pdf

ReefBreak wrote: »

Well Dr Scally did not review the slides nor would he be qualified to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Simon and Leo should hang their heads in shame and resign :mad:

RIP a brave woman taken way too soon

Not making excuses for those two eejits, but the fault does not lie with our politicians alone it lies with the monster that is the HSE and the Dept of Health.
    And we the people have allowed it's creation and existence.

Those two politicians weren't even in power when someone decided that the cheaper outsourced US solution was the one to go with despite the protestations of some experts.

And they weren't the ones that decided that the fact there were misdiagnoses that should not be released to the poor women affected.

It is going to be yet another example of the old much trotted out line about systemic failures in the health service.

No one in our health service is ever ever held accountable.

You will hear shouting about politicians holding their heads in shame, but just watch if any politician ever says anything about mismanagement by overpaid health service workers how quickly the sacred cows of over worked doctors and nurses are wheeled out.

Whinging at politicians whilst supporting the vested interests within the health service will surely see us facing more of the same.

Today there are probably the very same people in positions of power in the health service that decided the fate of Emma and the other women.

These health service employees could be your neighbour, they could be your relative and if someone threatens their jobs their union, possibly your union, will back them.
    And when there is a strike, when there is a protest about removing staff you will be asked to back the workers against the politicians.

If only one thing comes out of the very unfortunate unnecessary death of this woman and the many others that have faced or will face the same fate, it should be that we finally as a society cop on and back a movement that tackles our unaccountable over inflated over managed health service.

RIP Emma and may her family find some peace.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

ReefBreak wrote: »
    So this will possibly draw the ire of a lot of people here, but anyway. First of all, I lost my own Mother to cancer as a teenager so I know what those kids are going through. However, tough as it may be, there has absolutely been a lot of misrepresentation of the facts of this case by media (who played the story up), by politians (who grabbed it for the political capital it offered) & by solicitors (who grabbed it for all the euros it offered).

Some people still appear to think that the Cervical Check scandal is about women who had cancer but failed to be diagnosed of this fact. Not true.

A simplified version:
    1. You go for a Cervical Screening test - this analyses cells that MAY give warning signs or risk factors that she could develop cancer at a later date. This is a WIDE net and is never, and probably will never be, 100% accurate. You can get false positives (indicating that you might develop cancer, but never do), or false negatives (where there are no warning signs but you still develop cancer). In fact, these tests can show the cells to be completely clear, but you can still develop cancer later. Yes, I know, cancer is a f***ing c*nt.
    2. Anyway, the screening is done and everything appears to be ok.
    3. You get cervical cancer. i.e. you are diagnosed with cancer. This is different from cancer screening, which attempts to identify risk factors.
    4. At this point, the screening test results are sent back to the labs for an audit. This is done in order to identify what can be improved for future tests. It's an iterative process that would not have changed the cancer diagnosis. In most countries, these audit results are not sent back to the patient, but are kept confidential. In Ireland the results of the audit are sent to the patient. This is where the Scally Report saw problems - communication was crap, doctors were pricks, etc, etc.

The Scally Report also found that in there was nothing wrong with the Cervical Check program, neither was anything done wrong by the companies that were employed to do the tests and the audits. However, the last thing the government wanted was to bring terminally ill women to court, so decided to pay out.

As sad as this case is, I'm not sure these payouts should have been made. That said I'm glad for the kids as I believe these payouts came from the US medical companies, who are all too familiar with sucking cash out of patients in the US, so yeah, f**k them. However, if the taxpayer suddenly has to pay a redress scheme of (as has been reported) 500 million euros, then that's a different story.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Cervival screen tests, it is a vital service. And of course, coupled with the HPV vaccine means 2018 is a much better place for women in terms of preventing and screening for cervical cancer.

This is a really good post.

I really wish we had quality journalists who could acquaint themselves with facts and stop running with sensationalism which sells papers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The women that the screening failed (in some cases more than once) - and it should not have failed if the smears were read properly

This is wrong. It's not that they were not read "properly", the error rate was in-line with screening programs across the World. Abnormalities can be difficult to identify in smears, and no cervical screening test is ever going to 100%, regardless of how long is spent on each smear or who does the reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I knew Emma and she was a tough girl. A real fighter. I see above a few people said that her case shouldn't have been settled. She was adamant that any money she got was coming from Quest, not the HSE. Even though she But had not much faith in it, she didn't want money that could have helped others out diverted to her. A touch of class there I thought.

But do you know what wasn't a touch of class?
    1. Her legal team delayed giving her any of the settlement monies after the case was settled, as she wanted to buy a house for her kids. Her local AIB stepped in and gave her an interest free loan (large one) to cover the monies she wanted.
    2. HPV - She felt used by the HPV campaign, she was not strongly for or against the vaccine, but was seriously pressurised to say something to support the vaccine. She resisted this.
    3. (this is probably the one that really annoyed me) She went to purchase a house for her kids. A very nice place, plenty of room, nice bit of land. All was agreed until the seller realised who she was. The price went up €300k.

That is Ireland people!

Rest in Peace Miss Duffy.

Amirani wrote: »
    This is wrong. It's not that they were not read "properly", the error rate was in-line with screening programs across the World. Abnormalities can be difficult to identify in smears, and no cervical screening test is ever going to 100%, regardless of how long is spent on each smear or who does the reading.

No in the cases of the 221 women identified the smears were indeed misread and the State and Quest Diagnostics have admitted liability in many of the cases brought. There would not have been settlements otherwise.

In Ms mhic mhathunas case they misread her smears not once but twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

3. (this is probably the one that really annoyed me) She went to purchase a house for her kids. A very nice place, plenty of room, nice bit of land. All was agreed until the seller realised who she was. The price went up €300k.

That is Ireland people!

Rest in Peace Miss Duffy.

Don't understand how/why it would go up by 300k because of who she was. This isn't how house buying works. If they wanted to rip her off then fck them, there is a huge amount of other cheap property in Co. Kerry.
    How could they increase the price after it "was all all agreed"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

road_high wrote: »
    Don't understand how/why it would go up by 300k because of who she was. This isn't how house buying works. If they wanted to rip her off then fck them, there is a huge amount of other cheap property in Co. Kerry.
    How could they increase the price after it "was all all agreed"?

Was agreed in principle and the property wasn't in Kerry. Was near where she is from.
    You know she got 7.5m and it was clear that she didn't have long left? So the seller thought she would just throw money at the place as it was perfect for her needs.
    I've seen plenty of houses in Dublin go up well after the seller has 'agreed' to sell the place to someone, only to be outbid. That's how the property market works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was agreed in principle and the property wasn't in Kerry. Was near where she is from.
    You know she got 7.5m and it was clear that she didn't have long left? So the seller thought she would just throw money at the place as it was perfect for her needs.
    I've seen plenty of houses in Dublin go up well after the seller has 'agreed' to sell the place to someone, only to be outbid. That's how the property market works.

Thousands of properties for sale around the country. If someone wants to try pull a fast one you give them the two fingers.
    Once sale agreed and a deposit is paid you enter into a contract whereby the price can't increase beyond the agreed. You can't be outbid as the process has ended. I'm not a legal person but pretty sure one can't hike up a price thereafter (closure of bids).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

No in the cases of the 221 women identified the smears were indeed misread and the State and Quest Diagnostics have admitted liability in many of the cases brought. There would not have been settlements otherwise.

In Ms mhic mhathunas case they misread her smears not once but twice.

We have no evidence at the moment that the 221 were outside the normal error rate. We are waiting for the enquiry from the RCOG which is going to establish this.
    I don’t think the labs have admitted liability in many of the cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

We have no evidence at the moment that the 221 were outside the normal error rate. We are waiting for the enquiry from the RCOG which is going to establish this.
    I don’t think the labs have admitted liability in many of the cases?

And the state hasn't admitted liability to errors in the testing process. Though it certainly looks likely that it will, though not because it is actually liable.

Report in Irish Times today saying that agreement on indemnityfor US labs has to be agreed by the weekend or else they will refuse to test any more samples from Ireland.
    The lab position is compensation should only be paid if negligence in reading smear samples is established and they state that Irish courts are quicker to establish negligence than Courts in other jurisdictions.
    The Scally report said the errors in the Irish cases are no higher than anywhere else so why these million euro payouts. Scally went even further and reported that samples should continue to be sent to the US labs we are now using so thats a vote of confidence in them.
    Where does this leave the other women who got false negative results and who then developed cancer. If there was no negligence here either and errors within the normal range then really there should be no compensation paid but now that a precedent was set by paying someone seven million euros how can you not give the other two hundred women seven million too.
    It looks like the HSE may have to stump up all future compensation and we dont know how much they have paid to date of the almost ten million awarded to two women and how much the US labs paid.
    I actually think cervicalcheck should be disbanded now, the lawyers have eyed up this gravy train and Irish people are very litigious. There is no way a programme like this which was set up to spot warning signs in cells should ever had ended up costing millions in payouts. It would be better now if women access these tests privately with a warning attached as to how high the error rate is and the companies providing the tests protected by disclaimers should an acceptable number of errors occur. No system with any human input can ever be error free and everyone undergoing smears has to acept that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Report in Irish Times today saying that agreement on indemnityfor US labs has to be agreed by the weekend or else they will refuse to test any more samples from Ireland.
    The lab position is compensation should only be paid if negligence in reading smear samples is established and they state that Irish courts are quicker to establish negligence than Courts in other jurisdictions.
    The Scally report said the errors in the Irish cases are no higher than anywhere else so why these million euro payouts. Scally went even further and reported that samples should continue to be sent to the US labs we are now using so thats a vote of confidence in them.
    Where does this leave the other women who got false negative results and who then developed cancer. If there was no negligence here either and errors within the normal range then really there should be no compensation paid but now that a precedent was set by paying someone seven million euros how can you not give the other two hundred women seven million too.
    It looks like the HSE may have to stump up all future compensation and we dont know how much they have paid to date of the almost ten million awarded to two women and how much the US labs paid.
    I actually think cervicalcheck should be disbanded now, the lawyers have eyed up this gravy train and Irish people are very litigious. There is no way a programme like this which was set up to spot warning signs in cells should ever had ended up costing millions in payouts. It would be better now if women access these tests privately with a warning attached as to how high the error rate is and the companies providing the tests protected by disclaimers should an acceptable number of errors occur. No system with any human input can ever be error free and everyone undergoing smears has to acept that.

I doubt the political system will allow it to collapse, but it's going to become extremely expensive for the tax payer to keep the show on the road.

You talk about the legals eyeing up the gravy train. It comes as no surprise. The media and politicians gave so much air time and access to Cian O'Carrol (and still are, todays Examiner) as if he was some sort of objective expert analyst. He's a feckin solicitor that will earn a fortune out of the issue and he was allowed to essentially make the legal arguments he's make in court over the National airwaves. Its mad.

I know uriel, he has no medical training and now he is saying that we need a cervical screening system that will be totally error free.
    There is no such system anywhere in the world. I doubt if seven million euro would be paid out in any other jurisdiction in the world, is there any precedent for sums like this in cervical test screening.
    Ms McMathuna went on the airwaves and after that no Minister was going to stand up and point out the facts.
    This is really poor Governance and we pay politicans large sums of money so surely we should expect some sort of leadership and not have the entire country lapping up sensationalist ramblings from the media. The Politicans who paid a major part in misleading the public should be held to account for what will now be a dismantling of cervical check which was actually under Grainne Flannelly and Tony o Brien a very successful programme.

The programme will collapse if the US labs refuse to do the testing and they sauy they are stopping this weekend unless agreement is reached about future compensation and who is to pay for it. The uS labs would never have agreed to test Irish samples if they knew they could be liable to pay millions in euros for errors. The HSE have said they have a plan B in place if the US labs pull out but they wont say what it is, this means they havent a clue what they are going to do, they have no choice but to agree with giving the US labs indemnity which means the irish taxpayer is going to have to fund multi million euro payouts for the other two hundred women who got false negative results. Thats only the women who have false negative results at the moment. Every woman who has got the all clear and then develops cancer will have an audit done of her test too. If any of these audits show early cells changes were there and not picked up then all these women can claim in the future too, the solicitors will be busy for ever more amen and counting the taxpayers money(legal costs) coming into their coffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a symptom of modern society the obsession with engineering a risk-free society there is no such thing, sometimes with the best will in the world things happen and its nobody's fault.

The second issue is our greedy legal system apparently the legal system was all over various screening programs as soon as this issue was flagged.

And yes, the legal eagles are all over this.

The bowel screening and Breast cancer mammograms will be next.

The Government will have to stop all free screening.

I met a legal eagle at the weekend, she works in medical negligence cases and she was spouting all about women having cancer and not being told about it and how much they should be compensated. The more they are compensated the more she earns so she is hardly objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Simon Harris wants to be Taoiseach and if that costs €100 million so be it. No one will accuse him of running the clock for women to die if he has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement

Simon Harris wants to be Taoiseach and if that costs €100 million so be it. No one will accuse him of running the clock for women to die if he has anything to do with it.

Simon comes across as a bit softhearted at times, guaranteeing that no woman would have to go to court now they are not bad qualities but don't work in politics.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Simon comes across as a bit softhearted at times, guaranteeing that no woman would have to go to court now they are not bad qualities but don't work in politics.
    It will work. It isn't his money. If everyone in Ireland has to pay €50 to a group of dying women and Simon keeps his hopes for the top job alive he would be mad not to pay it; and he will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Genuine point and try not to all jump on me at the same time - but if this was a male cancer "scandal" there is no way it would have got as much traction, publicity, sympathy or payout.

And deep down in places you don't like to talk about at parties, you know that.

Genuine point and try not to all jump on me at the same time - but if this was a male cancer "scandal" there is no way it would have got as much traction, publicity, sympathy or payout.

What a silly post the woman particularly Vicky Phelan advocated for themselves and got in touch with the media there is nothing to stop men advocating for themselves if a similar issue happened and the media would be very receptive they love combinations of blaming the pharmacy industry/goverement/ HSE combined with something tragic.

Do you really think a dying father would not generate a lot of publicity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Probably the worst most disingenuous post on the thread. Have some respect for the thread gravity. How about you take that male vs female tragedy topic to a separate thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If a government or health service is providing a screening service it makes good economic sense as well as "morally" to have the system as accurate as possible.

It is a lot cheaper to treat pre cancer than actual cancer, so false negatives should be at an absolute minimum.

I do realise that no screening system is, or can be 100% accurate. Screening is not diagnosis, but we need to be certain screening systems we have are as robust as possible. It is money well spent, prevention and early diagnosis are cheaper in the long run.

There also has to be work done on educating people about the limitations of screening, no easy task when you then want to promote screening.

Communication is also key.

By the way is there any information available in relation to litigation of the US labs involved by US patients. I would have imagined big companies would not payout if there work and results was within quality control protocols. I know every wrong result is automatically negligence.

The US is an entirely different country to us regarding litigation.

There is no way on earth a payout of seven million US dollars would have been made to one person, this is why the US labs dont want the Irish work anymore. They would have signed the contract for the work thinking the scheme would operate the same way as it does in the States, ie an acceptance that the tests are not diagnostic and nor can it ever be error free.

Doctor Scally reported that there werent higher errors with the tests carried out by the US labs. They would be seeing hundreds of samples so you would build up an expertise.

The time to educate the public was when this "scandal" broke. The HSE officials knew the immature Irish media would sensationalise and distort the facts to sell papers. hence the memo on how to deal with the predicted headlines. The only problem was the HSE did nothing to challenge these headlines and neither did the Government even though Leo Vradkar as a GP knew exactly what any independent report would come up with, eg the Scally report. Before this report was ready though the Government caved into public pressure and paid out millions in compensation, this country is a basket case, it always was but when you have senior politicans spending their days on social media and twitter you might as well whistle in the wind.

And planespeaking is totally correct.

There is no way a male cancer would ever get the publicity this "scandal" has created.

The claims about a mysoginistic health service are so untrue is laughable. I have read reams and reams from feminist journalists about this but if you look at the gender base of the health service its predominately female. The numbers entering undergraduate degrees in medicine is approximately 7O per cent female and the nursing profession is predominately female. Most of the Physiotherapists, Radiographers, Dietiticans, you name it are all female and the only area thats predominately male is the hospital porter grade.

If journalists repeat their nonsense often enough their readers actually begin to believe this stuff.

There is no way a male cancer would ever get the publicity this "scandal" has created.

The claims about a mysoginistic health service are so untrue is laughable. I have read reams and reams from feminist journalists about this but if you look at the gender base of the health service its predominately female. The numbers entering undergraduate degrees in medicine is approximately 7O per cent female and the nursing profession is predominately female. Most of the Physiotherapists, Radiographers, Dietiticans, you name it are all female and the only area thats predominately male is the hospital porter grade.

If journalists repeat their nonsense often enough their readers actually begin to believe this stuff.

Too busy peddling their agenda to actually open their eyes and see the real world.

Anyone really believing that the tabloids would fill front pages with Dermot from Cavan "leaving his babies behind", "sure they'll have no mammy" etc etc is deluded at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It never fails to shock me that no matter what story is in the news, be it a health scandal, a government f*ck up, or a crisis, the threads on Boards always end up going full circle back to how men have it worse than women, and how oppressed they are.
    Regardless of the topic. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It never fails to shock me that no matter what story is in the news, be it a health scandal, a government f*ck up, or a crisis, the threads on Boards always end up going full circle back to how men have it worse than women, and how oppressed they are.

I'm a woman, and the fact is true.

Sorry to take the victim mantle away but, there you have it.

Those women are victims. Turning this thread into a women V men debacle is in very poor taste.
    I'm sure if a single father died after receiving incorrect cancer screening results, everyone would be up in arms too, and concerned for the welfare of the poor children left behind without their main caregiver.

I recall when Jason Corbett was murdered by his wife, there was plenty of sympathy and concern (both here and online) for the children he had left behind. Nobody dismissed how tragic it was just because he was a man and father.

Those women are victims. Turning this thread into a women V men debacle is in very poor taste.
    I'm sure if a single father died after receiving incorrect cancer screening results, everyone would be up in arms too, and concerned for the welfare of the poor children left behind without their main caregiver.

I recall when Jason Corbett was murdered by his wife, there was plenty of sympathy and concern (both here and online) for the children he had left behind. Nobody dismissed how tragic it was just because he was a man and father.

Au contraire - plenty argued that he "should have fought back".

It was sickening to read.

Au contraire - plenty argued that he "should have fought back".

It was sickening to read.

Not what I was implying or suggesting.
    Anyone really believing that the tabloids would fill front pages with Dermot from Cavan "leaving his babies behind", "sure they'll have no mammy" etc etc is deluded at best.

I'm talking about the concern for the children being left without their father - I'm sure you'll agree that there was universal support and concern left for the children without their father, despite the fact that was he male and not a mother.

Most cancers kill the old which is not important.
    Cervical cancer kills women of child rearing age.

It kills the mothers of children.
    Other cancers kill the mothers of adults.

Cervical cancer is different.

Banned

Everyone is a dog on the internet.

Most cancers kill the old which is not important.
    Cervical cancer kills women of child rearing age.

It kills the mothers of children.
    Other cancers kill the mothers of adults.

Cervical cancer is different.

Lung cancer killed my grandfather when he had four children from 15 to 10.

Your first post - bold - is disgusting and worth reporting.

Lung cancer killed my grandfather when he had four children from 15 to 10.
    Prove it.

Your first post - bold - is disgusting and worth reporting.
    Everybody has to die sometime and everyone has to die of something.

Dying at 80 is very very different from dying at 40.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In fairness, various elements of the media have been claiming the opposite; i.e. that the Cervical check scandal is an example of the health service caring less about women. Both sides do be at it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/men-do-not-face-these-types-of-scandals-is-womens-health-just-taken-less-seriously-36865249.html

"Men do not face these types of scandals – is women’s health just taken less seriously?"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/nuns-and-prostitutes-ireland-s-hopeless-attitude-to-women-s-health-1.3628359

"As the Scally report made clear last week, society might have moved on, but some things haven’t changed. Much of what was in the report we might have expected. Women’s health services are still secondary, as those working in the maternity services have been warning for years."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The US is an entirely different country to us regarding litigation.

There is no way on earth a payout of seven million US dollars would have been made to one person, this is why the US labs dont want the Irish work anymore. They would have signed the contract for the work thinking the scheme would operate the same way as it does in the States, ie an acceptance that the tests are not diagnostic and nor can it ever be error free.

Doctor Scally reported that there werent higher errors with the tests carried out by the US labs. They would be seeing hundreds of samples so you would build up an expertise.

The time to educate the public was when this "scandal" broke. The HSE officials knew the immature Irish media would sensationalise and distort the facts to sell papers. hence the memo on how to deal with the predicted headlines. The only problem was the HSE did nothing to challenge these headlines and neither did the Government even though Leo Vradkar as a GP knew exactly what any independent report would come up with, eg the Scally report. Before this report was ready though the Government caved into public pressure and paid out millions in compensation, this country is a basket case, it always was but when you have senior politicans spending their days on social media and twitter you might as well whistle in the wind.

I can actually agree with most of your post, but I still find it hard to believe why an American lab would pay compensation to Vicky Phelan if their work was up to standard. Everyone knows a false negative does not necessarily imply negligence on the part of the Lab. So why pay compensation.
    This was the lab not the Irish government.

I do agree the narrative got heated and to be brutally frank too simplistic. This is in no way to take away from the pain and suffering of the individuals involved but cancer is a fact of life, it will occur with devastating consequences. Screening will not prevent every case.

But seriously there is no need to turn this into a male/female thing that is just ridiculous.

There is a debate to be had about how this was handled, but we also need to be sure screening programmes are as good as they can be. As I said 100% accuracy will not be achieved but that should not stop us strifing for the best possible system.
    Maybe the system we use is fit for purpose and equivalent to other countries in terms of quality control, but no harm in getting that confirmed.

Do we know for sure that the American Labs made any payment.

Could all the money have come from the HSEs insurers.

I know at one stage Leo promised that the taxpayers would be happy to write cheques for all the women affected so they wouldnt have to go to Court, he said we would worry about recouping this money from the labs afterwards.

There are over two hundred women who developed cancer after getting the all clear. If they are all awarded seven million each, well, maths isnt my strongest point but that will bankrupt the HSE.

Doctor Scally flew back and forth to the USA while preparing his report and he confirmed the mistakes made were as to be expected in a programme like cervical check. Its extremely difficult to read those samples. He reported that the US labs are as good as any other labs and that the HSE should continue to use them.

I know at one stage Leo promised that the taxpayers would be happy to write cheques for all the women affected so they wouldnt have to go to Court, he said we would worry about recouping this money from the labs afterwards.

There are over two hundred women who developed cancer after getting the all clear. If they are all awarded seven million each, well, maths isnt my strongest point but that will bankrupt the HSE.

I'm certain I'm going to shot down here but why should people not be questioned if we're handing over taxpayers' money ?

And who sets the figure ? If "no amount of money" is enough - then 100 grand as an apology.

Does the HSE (or any government department) have insurers?

Arent claims paid from government funds. I may be wrong.

No politician wants to be seen fighting sick women in court.
    There may be no faulty in the actions of the state and the medical services but electorally it looks very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Doctor Scally flew back and forth to the USA while preparing his report and he confirmed the mistakes made were as to be expected in a programme like cervical check. Its extremely difficult to read those samples. He reported that the US labs are as good as any other labs and that the HSE should continue to use them.

Be negligent, you pay.

€503,353,000 paid out on 5,866 negligence claims brought against the Department of Health and the HSE since 2011

A quarter of total gross Government spending ( ~ €15.3 billion per year ) goes on health

Almost a third of total health spend, €4.7bn, has been allocated to the acute hospital sector.

Spending on the acute sector increased by 17 per cent from 2014 to 2017 — from €4.05bn to €4.73bn.

“Despite this €680 million investment, improvements in output levels are marginal.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Urgh, when people have died and will die because of this whole mess, do we really need to bring gender wars into it? There are so many other threads on boards that deal with that issue. Can’t this one be free of it? We don’t know what the reaction would be if it was a male cancer. Thankfully it’s a hypothetical so we just don’t know.

Urgh, when people have died and will die because of this whole mess, do we really need to bring gender wars into it? There are so many other threads on boards that deal with that issue. Can’t this one be free of it? We don’t know what the reaction would be if it was a male cancer. Thankfully it’s a hypothetical so we just don’t know.

They could be trolls who know but it's not just distasteful on the day of the funeral of one of the women affected it's actually disturbing that there are people like that out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

mariaalice wrote: »
    They could be trolls who know but it's not just distasteful on the day of the funeral of one of the women affected it's actually disturbing that there are people like that out there.

Exactly. Five little ones will never see their mother again and today said goodbye to her. The perfect time to engage in some gender whataboutery. :rolleyes:

I dont see a problm with snything posted here.
    Huge sums of money have been paid out to two people who got cancer. The Government introduced a scheme to help develop cancer but unfortuneately some cancers still happened. The Government dont have a test for pancreatic cancer so if you get that you will die, your death is just as sad as deaths from cervical cancer but at least the State tried to prevent some women getting cervical cancer. For this precaution the State has now exposed the citizens to carrying the cost of large compensation, we are entitled to discuss this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There is now a backlog of 60,0000 smear tests according to the RTE news due to the influx of women having samples taken since the scandal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement