Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suir Blueway

Options
  • 02-05-2018 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Morning,
    Anyone here cycled along the Suir Blueway? What's the surface like and what is it like for a bike trailer with a small child.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I've only cycled from Ferryhouse to the park by St.Patrick cemetery - surface seemed ok on a road bike. Maybe further down you might be better off with bigger tyres.

It's quite narrow in parts so obviously be extra careful with the bike trailer when cycling those sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

multisport wrote: »
    Morning,
    Anyone here cycled along the Suir Blueway? What's the surface like and what is it like for a bike trailer with a small child.

Thanks

It's not officially complete from Clonmel to Carrick and there is (or at least was) a good variation in surfaces.

From Gas House bridge to close to ferryhouse is a mix of new tarmac, roughly jointed concrete to a narrow grassy tow path.

Below Ferryhouse there is some new tarmac and (at least when I last rode it) gravel surfaces closer to Kilsheelan.

Kilsheelan towards Carrick has a new tarmac, at least to below MSD (it may go all the way to Carrick but I had buggy and he had enough!)

In the main it is suitable for bike & trailer, especially Kilsheelan towards Carrick. The path is unprotected from river so unlikely to be used by young children on their own bikes.

With a fence I think it could be as popular as Greenway; it is really pleasant along edge of river.

It would be great addition to area if they finished it properly

It's actually open this last week from Clonmel to carrick

Pretty as could be. 2m tarmac in the main.

Perfect for joggers, leisure cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Things fell nicely into place for us at the weekend, as we're a group of kayakers and cyclists the blueway was perfect. We has some of the group on the water and some on the (land)trail. Having kids with us, the easy access meant we were able to swap some people was boats to bikes during the day.
    From Clonmel to Kilsheelan is very manageable with kids. In total there were 13 of us, from age 5 - adult.

I would comment that the pathway is a little narrow, but the emphasis is on blueway not greenway, and either way it's a great facility just to get people out and about regardless of ability.

We'll be making a return visit sometime.

multisport wrote: »
    We'll be making a return visit sometime.

Cahir to Clonmel is lovely in kayak and convenient for shuttling. By road it is about 18km/20mins from Cahir Castle to Old Bridge but it is probably double that distance by river; as it meanders from Cahir Ardfinnan, Newcastle & Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Now this is completed, why no publicity? It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

vicwatson wrote: »

Yeah, but other than this, it is hardly promoted. It's strange! Got me to spend some money around the south of Tip today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Yeah, but other than this, it is hardly promoted. It's strange! Got me to spend some money around the south of Tip today.

Yeh

Hadn’t heard of it until this thread and then I googled it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is on facebook if you follow those type of pages. Nice info and updates.

There is also a new page launched called Munster Vales which seems to be promoting that wider area.
    https://munstervales.com/

The Suir Blueway just needs a good adventure race to drum up interest. I must get down there at some stage.

I think somewhere around Carrick on Shannon does similar with kayaking, cycling and walking/running.

Shannon Blueway
    http://www.bluewaysireland.org/blueways/shannon

• Advertisement
Advertisement