Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Billing me

• 02-05-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi quick question

I have VHI through my employer, my employer went in to administration and of course stopped paying the VHI fees.

VHI are now billing me the balance of the years fee.

Do I have to pay this? it was the company who took out the insurance for me a perk of the job. I don't see why I would be liable to pay for this, surly it should just be cancelled?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If you don't pay they'll cancel back to the last payment they've received and that will be the end of it.

However you would then have a break in cover and would have to reserve waiting periods in full if you were to take it out again as well as pay any age related loadings applicable if you're over 34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

you can always switch down to a cheaper plan if you want to keep cover. don't need to keep the old plan.

But to answer your question- yes it seems correct. VHI either bill the company or the policyholder for the payment. As your company is no longer paying, they are billing you.

make sure you put in a claim for this outstanding payment as part of your severance (if you are lucky to get anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wonderingstar

Surly they have an obligation to write to me and inform me there will be a charge and do I want to continue with the policy? I just assumed it was cancelled when the business went in to administration.

I worked in England for a company that went in to administration and Bupa never came looking for unpaid fees

I have never agreed to pay them any money or signed any documents. If they are out of money because the company is gone should they not have to chase the administrator for their fee? like everyone else who is owed money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

Surly they have an obligation to write to me and inform me there will be a charge and do I want to continue with the policy? I just assumed it was cancelled when the business went in to administration.

I worked in England for a company that went in to administration and Bupa never came looking for unpaid fees

I have never agreed to pay them any money or signed any documents. If they are out of money because the company is gone should they not have to chase the administrator for their fee? like everyone else who is owed money?

Firstly you cant compare BUPA in UK to VHI in Ireland. Different jurisdictions, so differences apply.

Secondly, while I understand your company has gone into administration, YOU are the benficiary of the policy. If the company does not pay, then VHI will not cover YOU. VHI are giving you to option of paying to have the policy continue in place.

You dont need to pay anything to VHI, but in that case your policy will lapse.

Advertisement