Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed in advice way

• 02-05-2018 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I am going to start an auto biography as folk keep telling me to do so, no idea where to send it though, any ideas? will it be alright to send i to any publisher going?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Rubecula wrote: »
    I am going to start an auto biography as folk keep telling me to do so, no idea where to send it though, any ideas? will it be alright to send i to any publisher going?

Hey Rubecula, publishers tend to vary on what they will or won't publish. I would say to write it first, see what it is then. The line between memoir and fiction is not a clear one. Many of the best fiction books I've read in the past few years are basically memoir. (All my puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews as an example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

The degree of interest a publishing house will take in your autobiography will likely depend on the degree of celebrity that you have. If you are an unknown with an interesting story then, as Das Kitty suggests, you will need to build it like a novel to have any hope of commercial publication. You need to really build a human story with a tag line that gets people hooked.
    You might want to consider a course in memoir writing first, if you've not done one, it will get a lot of ideas straight in your head. Then you need to write it and have lots of people read and feed back to you. Once you feel you have something saleable, you're better off approaching agents; do some research, find agents that have experience in what you're looking to sell.
    If what you have is not commercial, you might want to look at self publishing, but that's a whole 'nother minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Hey Rubecula, publishers tend to vary on what they will or won't publish. I would say to write it first, see what it is then. The line between memoir and fiction is not a clear one. Many of the best fiction books I've read in the past few years are basically memoir. (All my puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews as an example)

Hey Ms Kitty LTNS :) Thank you for your invaluable advice :) you will maybe remember my snippets in the O&O forum?
    km85264 wrote: »
    The degree of interest a publishing house will take in your autobiography will likely depend on the degree of celebrity that you have. If you are an unknown with an interesting story then, as Das Kitty suggests, you will need to build it like a novel to have any hope of commercial publication. You need to really build a human story with a tag line that gets people hooked.
    You might want to consider a course in memoir writing first, if you've not done one, it will get a lot of ideas straight in your head. Then you need to write it and have lots of people read and feed back to you. Once you feel you have something saleable, you're better off approaching agents; do some research, find agents that have experience in what you're looking to sell.
    If what you have is not commercial, you might want to look at self publishing, but that's a whole 'nother minefield.

thank you for you excellent advice :cool:

Advertisement