Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heavy wind buffeting on a Suzuki XF 650

Options
  • 02-05-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I have a Suzuki XF 650 freewind.. , great bike but on windy days, the buffeting is insane, anything over 70 kmh is bad, I can feel the bike feeling a little bit unstable, 
    Today I got on a Ducati 620 monster and at 100 kmh it was stable and I didnt notice any buffeting, it was like a gentle, calm breeze, then I got back on the Suzuki and back to the heavy buffeting like riding in 60 kmh winds..
    Is it all the plastic bits on the bike causing this problem, or the full upright riding position?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Think the clue is in the question...Freewind....:p

Or maybe you're Marc Marquez........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The plastics wouldnt make it unstable. Are the tyres in good shape on the XF? Are the pressures correct? Is there a screen on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

GBX wrote: »
    The plastics wouldnt make it unstable. Are the tyres in good shape on the XF? Are the pressures correct? Is there a screen on it?
    tyres are like new, less than 1000 km on them, spot on pressures, there is the standard mini screen on it.. like this https://www.tradebit.com/usr/autorepairs/pub/9002/203430166_SUZUKIXF650FREEWIND.jpg

Think the clue is in the question...Freewind....:p

Or maybe you're Marc Marquez........:D
    Ye.. I thought about that one.. but to much free wind for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

With a lowish screen like that you'll get some buffeting no doubt but cant see it enough to be making it unstable. Are ya really tall on it?

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    With a lowish screen like that you'll get some buffeting no doubt but cant see it enough to be making it unstable. Are ya really tall on it?
    I am 180 cm, , it is an upright riding position like in this photo found on the web https://www.ventura-bike.com/content/images/thumbs/0004402_xf-650-v-k2-freewind.jpeg
    It is very tiring riding and battling the wind this way..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've read that small screens make buffeting worse as the wind gets directed at your head only rather than equally at your head/body.

On my fully naked bike I just lean forward a bit, there's no discomfort even at very high speeds.

As you've experienced yourself with the Ducati 620....

Advertisement