Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleisland-Farranfore road to close for the summer

Options

Comments

Jesus.

The main Killarney Castleisland road closing in summer is not good at all, as with any main road between major towns in Kerry during the tourist season. You'd have to wonder how long they knew it was on the cards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is new signs up in Castleisland and along the Tralee bypass advising of major road works in Farranfore starting the 14th. They're hardly going digging up Farranfore in the summer too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Radio5

marno21 wrote: »
    There is new signs up in Castleisland and along the Tralee bypass advising of major road works in Farranfore starting the 14th. They're hardly going digging up Farranfore in the summer too?

Saw the sign on road outside Farranfore alright. Didn't say the duration of works, just beginning May 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Radio5 wrote: »
    Saw the sign on road outside Farranfore alright. Didn't say the duration of works, just beginning May 14th.

They never give an end date. That way they can't be accused of missing targets.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Works at Farranfore will result in a closure of the N22 to Tralee from 14th to 18th May. Traffic using the N23 to Castleisland from Farranfore will not be diverted. Traffic from Killarney to Tralee will be diverted via the R561 to Castlemaine.

• Advertisement

So Farranfore works are just for this week then.

The longer closure over the summer will disruptive.

So Farranfore works are just for this week then.

The longer closure over the summer will disruptive.

Starting this Thursday apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

spent the weekend in Kerry.

Between the roadworks at Naas, the works at Farranfore, and temporary traffic lights north of Abbeyfeale, i reckon they added on about 20 - 25 minutes to the journey time.

The sign says the Farranfore work will be complete by 30th June. Hope they're right.

Could have sworn the ads on the radio say those roadworks on Castleisland -Farranfore Rd are going on until August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Slasher wrote: »
    spent the weekend in Kerry.

Between the roadworks at Naas, the works at Farranfore, and temporary traffic lights north of Abbeyfeale, i reckon they added on about 20 - 25 minutes to the journey time.

The sign says the Farranfore work will be complete by 30th June. Hope they're right.

And not forgetting the tailback going into Adare. Took me over half an hour to get through it yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

SeaFields wrote: »
    And not forgetting the tailback going into Adare. Took me over half an hour to get through it yesterday

Anyone travelling from the Dublin direction to the Killarney area over the summer really should consider taking the M8 to Mitchelstown and then the N78 via Mallow.

If travelling from Dublin to the Kenmare area, come via Cork City.

If travelling to Tralee and West Kerry, the N69 from Limerick makes for a scenic alternative.

Quackster wrote: »
    Anyone travelling from the Dublin direction to the Killarney area over the summer really should consider taking the M8 to Mitchelstown and then the N78 via Mallow.

If travelling from Dublin to the Kenmare area, come via Cork City.

If travelling to Tralee and West Kerry, the N69 from Limerick makes for a scenic alternative.

When the Macroom bypass is complete Dublin-Cork-Killarney will be a very viable routing, decent road the whole way

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

When the Macroom bypass is complete Dublin-Cork-Killarney will be a very viable routing, decent road the whole way

Yeah, a bit longer in distance but I'd imagine it'll be the fastest and most predictable timewise.

I heard on AA Roadwatch the other day that these works are going on until mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I heard on AA Roadwatch the other day that these works are going on until mid-August.

They only add about 10 mins to the journey to Limerick etc if you take the L2014 Gortalea - signposted "no HGVs".

From Killorglin go straight ahead at Firies to the N22 and you'll avoid Farranfore and take another couple of mins off.

They are shaping up for more roadworks on the N72 Killarney-Mallow road, just at the narrow bridge east of Barraduff. Signs and fencing up.

New bridge is now in place and the approach from the Castleisland side is tarmaced. Hopefully they get at least 1 lane of it open within a week or two

The stretch between the bypass roundabout, the bridge and the Currow turnoff has been resurfaced also. While it was needed, it unfortunately means there is no plans to realign it anytime soon, which is a pity.

God I won't miss the Camp Road when this is done.

We drove from Waterville to Dublin on Saturday - it took six and a half hours!!

Diversion at Farranfore; delays going into Abbeyfeale; long tail back into Adare; and long delays at road works at Naas.

Just a word of advice to anyone planning a similar trip: leave as early as you can to try to avoid some of those delays.

We drove from Waterville to Dublin on Saturday - it took six and a half hours!!

Diversion at Farranfore; delays going into Abbeyfeale; long tail back into Adare; and long delays at road works at Naas.

Just a word of advice to anyone planning a similar trip: leave as early as you can to try to avoid some of those delays.

Indeed, this is a growing problem now and one that's only getting worse. As time goes on it will start to affect Kerry as people will be less inclined to come here from the rest of the country if it takes that length of time.

6 and a half hours is a flight from Dublin to Boston. It's obscene for that kind of journey time to Kerry.

I also got stuck in that mess Saturday going up for the hurling game. I came home yesterday via the N11, New Ross, Waterford and made it home in 4 and a half hours easy driving. Everyone else I know came via the M7 and cursed the whole journey time of upto 5 hours.

New bridge to open by the weekend

Thank god for this as it would have been a rough bank holiday weekend

http://www.radiokerry.ie/castleisland-farranfore-road-open-coming-days/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

HEY HEY Road reopens today Friday 3 rd ahead of schedule !!
    KCC performing miracles

Well has anyone been on it, is the new bridge a great improvement?

Indeed, this is a growing problem now and one that's only getting worse. As time goes on it will start to affect Kerry as people will be less inclined to come here from the rest of the country if it takes that length of time...

For me, there is one absolute golden rule about driving to and from South Kerry.

Avoid Adare.

For Dublin, I go via Mallow and Mitchelstown.

Limerick, via Newmarket and Charleville.

Mallow-Mitchelstown isn't a great road but preferable to Adare alright.

On RTE news last night they said the serious work on Macroom BY-pass would begin late 2019 with completion in 2023. I know it's good that is is actually going to happen but still a good long wait before it's up and running. That by-pass was being talked about 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Mallow-Mitchelstown isn't a great road but preferable to Adare alright.

On RTE news last night they said the serious work on Macroom BY-pass would begin late 2019 with completion in 2023. I know it's good that is is actually going to happen but still a good long wait before it's up and running. That by-pass was being talked about 30 years ago.

Terrible stretch of road hopefully it'll be open before 2023.... Out to tender now so it might be brought forward by a few months.

Not only is the Castleisland-Farranfore road done (yes, I know, it's been done for a year, but i only drove it in July on way to holidays in Waterville) but there's a nice new bit between Milltown and Killorglin, with a stunning view.

Delighted to see these road improvements in my favourite county in Ireland.

(If only they'd hurry up and build the Adare bypass.........)

Advertisement