Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodies Proplus 5 lt Water Carrier.

Options
  • 02-05-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

I was in Woodies recently and came across these absolute beauties.

I actually stood there for a few minutes trying to register what I was looking at.

I was tempted to ask a member of staff if they had ever sold one but was afraid I might end up asking to see the manager and demanding an explanation as to who decided to stock these.

It is an empty 5 liter plastic bottle with a screw on cap.

The price?

It will cost you 5 euro.

They also have 10 lt ones for 9.49.

You can buy 5 lt of water in Aldi for 1.30 and you get to keep the bottle.

Meanwhile lately it seems the media are trying to drive home the message to the general public how much damage waste plastic is doing in our seas.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was in woodies recently and saw plastic food safe containers which sound like these. They were certainly not comparable to the very flimsy 5L water containers from supermarkets. I can't remember if the larger ones had caps.

But there were more like this, 12.99 in argos for 10L

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6192170/Trail/searchtext%3E10L.htm

Due to economies of scale and turnover you can often get very good containers, with food in them, cheaper than the empty ones. Even in the same shop. e.g. in tesco some microwave soups come in very sturdy reusable containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in woodies recently and saw plastic food safe containers which sound like these. They were certainly not comparable to the very flimsy 5L water containers from supermarkets. I can't remember if the larger ones had caps.

But there were more like this, 12.99 in argos for 10L

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6192170/Trail/searchtext%3E10L.htm

Due to economies of scale and turnover you can often get very good containers, with food in them, cheaper than the empty ones. Even in the same shop. e.g. in tesco some microwave soups come in very sturdy reusable containers.

I'm not sure what your point is but the container you linked has a cap and a tap.

The one's in Woodies had a screw on cap, no tap.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

If anybody else missed my point I will explain clearer. I think it was very obvious.

sugarman wrote: »
    I take it, this is what youre talking about?

Whats the issue?

Its a strong multi use PVC container made for carrying water and other fluids like oil and petrol. Its resistant to oils and solvents.

Your Lidl bottle is made specially for one use and is incredibly flimsy and isn't made for holding anything other than water/soft drinks.

€5 is actually good value for one and Id image the vast majority of people buying them are using them oil or petrol.

The issue I have is that it is advertised as a container for water and it is sold empty and costs 5 euro.

No where does it state that it is suitable for petrol or oil.

How can you state that it is suitable for petrol when the manufacturer or shop selling it does not advertise it as such?

What makes you think a 5 liter plastic water bottle is not going to be reusable?

You can imagine all you want about what uses they are being put to but they are not suitable containers for either oil or petrol because of safety reasons.

sugarman wrote: »
    It doesn't no, but it does say it's made PVC which is what containers used to hold oil and petrol are generally made of! Regardless of what it holds, it's a much stronger, durable plastic container designed for reuse.

A Lidl water bottle is reusable sure, but to what extent? It's made of flimsy, brittle plastic. It's designed cheap and light, for one use and to be recycled easily.

They're not a like for like comparison like you're trying to make out. It's like saying why buy a coffee mug for €5 when you can go to Spar and buy a Coffee cup with coffee in it for €2!

Sugarman, it's been interesting reading your contributions to this thread, thank you.

I look forward to reading more of your musings and analogies should I ever stumble across them.

Tóg go bog é,
    Rows Grower.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are you arguing there is not a problem with plastic waste? Head out for a walk there and just have a look in any hedegrow along the side of the footpath. Guarantee you will see plastic bottles or wrappers or cut off cable ties etc

No Deedsie, I am not arguing there is not a problem with plastic waste.

I'm actually very glad you raised the topic, it is something I am very concerned about and have been for a long time.

There have been many new scientific developments lately that are moving in the right direction as regards replacing plastic as packaging but unfortunately it may be too little too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I've read the op a couple of times and still fail to see the issue.

Woodies are selling a food grade reusable liquid holding container for a fiver (probably targeted at campers) .
    No comparison is provided except a single use container in a supermarket.

Now, you can reuse these single use containers maybe once or twice, but very quickly they get cracks in their material where bacteria hides and can in some cases affect you.

If you wish to take that risk, that's up to you, but using it as a comparison is ridiculous

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'm glad you feel that way. Whenever I see people say "the media are trying to drive home" something. It's usually not something the person agrees with or is questioning the motives of the media organisations.

Eco Eye have done some excellent segments on sustainable packaging and Sky news have done some brilliant docs highlighting the plight of plastic in our oceans.

Plastic waste is a serious serious issue. It's too late to halt climate change but not to late to demand products are packaged in a more sustainable way to reduce litter and microplastics in our oceans.

There is some great work being done in Indonesia which is one of the countries worst affected by waste plastic. They have developed a plastic alternative used for carrier bags made from the Yucca plant which not only is biodegradable but is safe for humans to consume.

Also a company called the Salt Water Brewery has developed an alternative to the plastic rings used to hold six packs of beer.

The unfortunate thing is the amount of waste plastic that is everywhere already, both on land and in the sea and the amount of damage it has not only done but is going to do over the next hundreds of years.

Anything that raises awareness of this is a good thing in my opinion.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I've read the op a couple of times and still fail to see the issue.

Woodies are selling a food grade reusable liquid holding container for a fiver (probably targeted at campers) .
    No comparison is provided except a single use container in a supermarket.

Now, you can reuse these single use containers maybe once or twice, but very quickly they get cracks in their material where bacteria hides and can in some cases affect you.

If you wish to take that risk, that's up to you, but using it as a comparison is ridiculous

They are not single use containers, they are plastic containers which take about two hundred years to break down.

If you fail to see the issue and think the comparison is ridiculous that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion the same as I'm entitled to mine.

Would you mind explaining where you got the information that they very quickly crack and conceal bacteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

They are not single use containers, they are plastic containers which take about two hundred years to break down.

If you fail to see the issue and think the comparison is ridiculous that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion the same as I'm entitled to mine.

Would you mind explaining where you got the information that they very quickly crack and conceal bacteria?

Tyres takes hundreds of years to break down - bald tyres cause accidents. So ridiculous point that just because the base material takes xx years to break down, it can still be safe.

Condoms equally take years to break down - fancy using a used one? :D

PET single use bottles are designed for single use.

Here's an article to read - https://superfoodsrx.com/healthyliving/reusing-plastic-is-not-safe/

As for saying the argos one is completely different because it has a "tap" - you can buy these taps in many camping goods stores for about €2. Material of both containers seem to be identical.

Here's a one gallon container on amazon USA for $18 - the woodies one is a bargain in comparison. Maybe this should be in bargain alerts?

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Tyres takes hundreds of years to break down - bald tyres cause accidents. So ridiculous point that just because the base material takes xx years to break down, it can still be safe.

Nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

Condoms equally take years to break down - fancy using a used one? :D

God only knows how this entered your mind, it's a bit worrying to be honest CeilingFly.

PET single use bottles are designed for single use.

This does not mean they cannot be safely reused.

Here's an article to read - https://superfoodsrx.com/healthyliving/reusing-plastic-is-not-safe/

I read it carefully, read it carefully yourself, then read it again.

As for saying the argos one is completely different because it has a "tap" - you can buy these taps in many camping goods stores for about €2. Material of both containers seem to be identical.

The Argo's one has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic that was being discussed, neither has the price of a tap in some camping store.

Here's a one gallon container on amazon USA for $18 - the woodies one is a bargain in comparison. Maybe this should be in bargain alerts?

Feel free to stick anything you want in Bargain Alerts if you think it's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Really don't see the problem either .... how much would you expect Woodies to charge OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Woodies aren’t forcing anyone to buy it.

It’s a fairly sad state of affairs when people are going around policing what woodies sell.

C3PO wrote: »
    Really don't see the problem either .... how much would you expect Woodies to charge OP?

Have you read the opening post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Have you read the opening post?

The one where you made a ridiculous comparison with a 5lt disposable bottle of water in Aldi?

Rackstar wrote: »
    Woodies aren’t forcing anyone to buy it.

It’s a fairly sad state of affairs when people are going around policing what woodies sell.

This could be a generic reply to every thread started in this forum.

Could be viewed as hypocritical by some, but I genuinely hope you cheer up.

The one where you made a ridiculous comparison with a 5lt disposable bottle of water in Aldi?

Is there another opening post?

nobody does, there is no problem.

I said in my 2nd post if ANYBODY missed my point, only THEN I would bother explaining. There is not a single thanks on this trolling cnuts post, stop encouraging the gobshite... Nobody thinks along the same lines or agrees, only a fcuking moron would.

Embarrassing cringeworthy stuff tolerated in this forum.

This could be a generic reply to every thread started in this forum..

NO, some threads are actually reasonable, very few, but some are genuinely informative, unlike this utter nonsense, laughable stuff, could be satirical.

Some dickheads insist on using the forum as an utterly useless "expensive alerts" forum. No help to anybody. In this case the item is not even relatively expensive, complete waste of time!

rubadub wrote: »
    NO, some threads are actually reasonable, very few, but some are genuinely informative, unlike this utter nonsense, laughable stuff, could be satirical.

Some dickheads insist on using the forum as an utterly useless "expensive alerts" forum. No help to anybody. In this case the item is not even relatively expensive, complete waste of time!

Let it all out rubadub, no point in bottling it up.

• Advertisement

Let it all out rubadub, no point in bottling it up.

I can't afford the bottles, they are allegedly relatively horrendously expensive these days. Though no reasonable comparisons are given...

cringeworthy beyond belief. So fake...

Advertisement