Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic joining from the Republic

Options
  • 02-05-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Im going on 19 this August and am due to complete my Leaving Cert next month. I’ve always had an interest in joining the Gardai and recently have been considering the PSNI also if recruitment opens again.

Just wondering would it be wise for a 19 year old with a Catholic background from Kerry to be joining the PSNI due to the political tension in the region?

Also would my background benefit me in the recruitment process, being from the Republic? I saw in another post that they want to recruit Irish nationals.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Welcome buddy!
    I’m from NI but would totally encourage you to apply if you want. The threat is unfortunately high to all officers but don’t let that put you off. Many people on the board have joined from ROI. Look at shield the moderator of the board, he’s an officer in the PSNI and from the south.

In regards to your background benefitting you. It currently won’t. 50/50 recruitment has stopped and although the PSNI are encouraging more females and catholics to apply, it will not help you get in before anyone else.

All the best and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Age, religion, gender, sexuality and nationality(must have legal right to work in the uk) have nothing to do with getting in.
    Although the PSNI want more Catholics and more females they won't choose someone just because they are one.
    Basically if you're good enough and pass everything youre in. If you don't meet the criteria you wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

KealB99 wrote: »
    Im going on 19 this August and am due to complete my Leaving Cert next month. I’ve always had an interest in joining the Gardai and recently have been considering the PSNI also if recruitment opens again.

Just wondering would it be wise for a 19 year old with a Catholic background from Kerry to be joining the PSNI due to the political tension in the region?

Also would my background benefit me in the recruitment process, being from the Republic? I saw in another post that they want to recruit Irish nationals.

Thanks in advance for the help!

They also 'welcomed' applications from LGBT people and women. It won't benefit you as far as competing in the recruitment competition goes. There is no positive discrimination in that respect. They're under represented by certain groups and they are simply appealing to cross sections of the community that are under represented. Other government agencies place similar advertisements welcoming protestants to apply - like the housing executive. That however doesn't mean the candidate has a leg up if you know what I mean?

If anything, it's safer than being an Irish National/Catholic, from Belfast or Derry purely for the fact that no one will recognise you on the street. A

Advertisement