Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matchplay Tactics

Options
  • 02-05-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭

Following on from the hugely enjoyable MatchPlay Horror stories thread i wanted to start a discussion about tactics and the approach to take to a matchplay event.

I am currently involved in a a couple of matchplay events, one at my home course and one at an away course.

At the away course i have been drawn to play a member who is a senior and more than double my age. He is however only 2 shots behind me in handicap.

When arranging the game, he was all about 'just getting out with a good golfer' 'sure i'd never keep up with the likes of you' ' i've had multiple operations i thought i'd never play golf again'.

I believe that this is mind games and trying to lull me into being complacent. If is after all being played on his home course and with just 2 shots between us in handicap he has to be as capable as I am.

What approach would you take to such a match??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Same as every other time I play, try to shoot the lowest score possible on every hole.
    Only difference is that this time you are not playing a match against someone who pars every hole, you need to adjust your approach for each hole as you get more information about what score is needed to win or at worst half.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

tbf, he might just be a sound ol fella who's extremely self deprecating... I know I say things to put myself down going into matches. It's not to lull the opponent but it does lead to less expectation on yourself & anything decent is a plus then (If that makes sense).

how i'd approach the match, be as sound as possible to what seems like a gent... if he's hitting short off the tee & it's tight take an iron & match him instead of trying to blow him away off the tee

If you dont know they guy you wont know if his current handicap is his lowest or if he used to be off scratch for example.
    Mentally accept that he is going to hole every chip and putt so you are not rocked when he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Generally I've found that good golf, or even just smart golf, beats mind games all day long. I'm sometimes relatively generous with concessions early on and always do my best to avoid getting into a rules debate or situation.

Other than that its really not that complicated tbh, there are no matchplay tricks that will suddenly turn you into, I dunno, Ian Poulter. You still have to play the golf and beat the man not the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

GreeBo wrote: »
    Same as every other time I play, try to shoot the lowest score possible on every hole.
    Only difference is that this time you are not playing a match against someone who pars every hole, you need to adjust your approach for each hole as you get more information about what score is needed to win or at worst half.

so i guess the approach is to shoot as low as possibly but considering the plight of your opponent before deciding on the shot to play
    tbf, he might just be a sound ol fella who's extremely self deprecating... I know I say things to put myself down going into matches. It's not to lull the opponent but it does lead to less expectation on yourself & anything decent is a plus then (If that makes sense).

how i'd approach the match, be as sound as possible to what seems like a gent... if he's hitting short off the tee & it's tight take an iron & match him instead of trying to blow him away off the tee

You are more than likely right on this, he is most likely an absolute gent. The course is one you have to play instead of trying to blast your way around so there are plenty irons to be taken off the tee
    GreeBo wrote: »
    If you dont know they guy you wont know if his current handicap is his lowest or if he used to be off scratch for example.
    Mentally accept that he is going to hole every chip and putt so you are not rocked when he does.

Generally my luck that my opponents do hole chips & putts from ridiculous places
    Russman wrote: »
    Generally I've found that good golf, or even just smart golf, beats mind games all day long. I'm sometimes relatively generous with concessions early on and always do my best to avoid getting into a rules debate or situation.

Other than that its really not that complicated tbh, there are no matchplay tricks that will suddenly turn you into, I dunno, Ian Poulter. You still have to play the golf and beat the man not the course.

Love the idea of me being Ian Poulter-esque roaring around this quiet golf course with eyes bulging!!:D

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    so i guess the approach is to shoot as low as possibly but considering the plight of your opponent before deciding on the shot to play
    Well it doesnt have to be as low as possible, you dont need a birdie to win if the best your opponent is likely to have is a bogey.

i.e. if you know that he physically cant reach a hole in 2 then there is no point in you "risking" a driver followed by a 3iron when playing for a 90% bogey will at worst mean you half the hole. (I'm assuming you will be giving shots on holes like this.)

In my experience trying to win holes where you are giving a shot is the quickest way to handing them the hole. A half is a great result when you are giving a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

slingerz wrote: »
    Following on from the hugely enjoyable MatchPlay Horror stories thread i wanted to start a discussion about tactics and the approach to take to a matchplay event.

I am currently involved in a a couple of matchplay events, one at my home course and one at an away course.

At the away course i have been drawn to play a member who is a senior and more than double my age. He is however only 2 shots behind me in handicap.

When arranging the game, he was all about 'just getting out with a good golfer' 'sure i'd never keep up with the likes of you' ' i've had multiple operations i thought i'd never play golf again'.

I believe that this is mind games and trying to lull me into being complacent. If is after all being played on his home course and with just 2 shots between us in handicap he has to be as capable as I am.

What approach would you take to such a match??

Until the match starts, you have no idea if its gamesmanship or not .... so ignore the noise. Once the game starts and you find that he is still in your ear, yet he's playing well and not making any mistakes ... then its game on and I would feel free to comment on how well he's playing and how he hasn't missed a putt or is always straight up the middle :rolleyes: (while confirming to yourself that you have seen through his tactics).

There are many things that can be game changers during matchplay golf, but once you see them and recognise whats going on ... they can be parked and your focus should remain on your own game. As has been pointed out, its not about birdies or pars .... its about game management, not making mistakes and getting a lower score than your opponent at each hole. Patience can be a great asset in matchplay golf ... you may find that a high handicapper starts off on fire, but never give up because he will slip up and you need to be ready to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Play very hole to the best of your ability until you get 1up.

Then when you get 1up, get to 2up

Then 3up, then 4up, rinse lather repeat until the game is over

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Sounds ridiculously obvious - but just keep the ball in play, so you not hacking around in the trees. I slightly alter the way I play in Matchplay, If I am 20 yards back where I would usually drive but in the middle of the fairway, that's good enough. I tend to play well within myself when playing Matchplay. 

Also don't get panicked if you find yourself 3 down after 3 and start chasing it, that can change very quickly! I know this post is hardly a fountain of knowledge, but it is giving me something to do in work on the friday of a bank holiday :) :)

Advertisement