Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old bench

• 02-05-2018 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭

In a rash moment ,I promised my wife that I would renovate an old cast iron garden bench with wooden slats.The wood has rotted away over the last 30 odd years.
    The slats are 1200 mm x 60 mm x 15 mm approx(!).
    Simple question,what kind of wood do I need and where would I source it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

where are you living

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

vandriver wrote: »
    In a rash moment ,I promised my wife that I would renovate an old cast iron garden bench with wooden slats.The wood has rotted away over the last 30 odd years.
    The slats are 1200 mm x 60 mm x 15 mm approx(!).
    Simple question,what kind of wood do I need and where would I source it?

15 mmm seems pretty thin - typically you would buy 25 mm stock and end up with about 22mm after planing. Iroko is a good all round wood unless you want to source red deal ( Scots Pine ) or larch from a sawmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

recipio wrote: »
    15 mmm seems pretty thin - typically you would buy 25 mm stock and end up with about 22mm after planing. Iroko is a good all round wood unless you want to source red deal ( Scots Pine ) or larch from a sawmill.
    I'll go and remeasure!

Yeah,about 18mm thick,but not a critical measurement,as the rebate the wood slots into is 45mm

IMG_20180503_161618.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I noticed that there is a strong back stiffener in the center so ……. 32mm (5/4” +-) or 38mm X 60mm x 1200mm as the bench can accommodate the thickness. It should support two healthy adults or maybe rotund folk (not saying you are :)-:D though).

I noticed that there is a strong back stiffener in the center so ……. 32mm (5/4” +-) or 38mm X 60mm x 1200mm as the bench can accommodate the thickness. It should support two healthy adults or maybe rotund folk (not saying you are :)-:D though).
    But who sells them here?(that eBay listing is UK only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

vandriver wrote: »
    Yeah,about 18mm thick,but not a critical measurement,as the rebate the wood slots into is 45mm

IMG_20180503_161618.jpg

Your original timbers don't actually look bad to me.
    From what I can see in the picture there's no rot.
    If I was you I'd be saving your money and just renovate what you already have.
    Remove them carefully, sand and varnish and replace with nice shiny new bolts.
    You'll be amazed how they will clean up.

Advertisement