Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

• 02-05-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The stage is set 12 time champions vs the 5 time champions. 2 clubs steeped in European history.

Liverpool first final in 11 years, 4th final in the last 5 for Madrid and going for a record 3 in a row wins.

Salah vs Ronaldo.
    Attack Attack Attack.

A mouthwatering final.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Just posted this on the Liverpool thread but might make more sense in here...

Assuming no further injuries, or players to come back from injury, same team for the final?

To be honest, after tonight's game I think Clyne will start against Chelsea in place of TAA - partially to take him out of the spotlight but also for Klopp to run the rule over Clyne in a big game after his lengthy lay-off. If Clyne does well, he may well start against Brighton which would indicate he will play the final.

Whatever team Klopp selects for that last league game will also play in Kiev. We need more defensive protection on that side and TAA just ain't a full-back - caught out a lot with the ball over the top. He'll be more important to have on the bench as midfield cover, considering how light we are in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Can't believe Liverpool are in the final like 05 all over again. Be great to wrap up top 4 at weekend so have 3 weeks rest plus maybe Can and Lallana to come back. Madrid have top 4 secured so they will be resting players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bit early for this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bit early for this thread

Nah, three weeks of petty arguments to be had, I'm sure the mods can't wait :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's going to be the highest scoring final evarrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Alas I fear a referee (and they've been so poor for so many games) will end up deciding far too much wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah that champions league final thread smell, it's been too long. Breathe it in boys.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah that champions league final thread smell, it's been too long. Breathe it in boys.

Bank holiday in Liverpool too, shall be a nice long weekend hopefully with a very good outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rob316 wrote: »
    Attack Attack Attack..
    It's going to be the highest scoring final evarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    I really don't see it. To quote myself from 2 minutes ago...

I honestly think people expecting a rip roaring final are in for a shock, I think Zidane will go pragmatic as hell, he will create a tight cagey match with extra bodies in midfield, deny Liverpool their head in attack and then pick them off 2 or 3 times over the course of the 90 minutes.

I really don't see it. To quote myself from 2 minutes ago...

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Hala Madrid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The worst part will be all the CR7 fanboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Based on the the threads already its all the Liverpool fans saying " Salty" that's the worst so far.

Messi and Ronanlo fanboys. The Donald Trumps of the football supporting world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I hope Liverpool win it.

I'm a massive Manchester United fan from a big United supporting family, some living in the greater Manchester area.

I'm old enough now not to let the banter get to me. It also helps not having any gobshītes in work tryna wind me up :p

Liverpool may have rode their luck a little bit here and there but I think they were better than Madrid in the CL, and even domestically this season. Their front 3 are great to watch and the team is full of likeable characters.

I won't be shouting for either team. I hope it will be a good final with goals galore. I just think, so far (as there is a final to play) Liverpool have been the better team in the competition.

I predict 2-1 or 3-1 Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Looking forward to seeing how Madrid deal with Salah, Marcelo is going to give him so much space unless he starts actually defending which will take away from him bombarding up the left hand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing how Madrid deal with Salah, Marcelo is going to give him so much space unless he starts actually defending which will take away from him bombarding up the left hand side.

Similarly, TAA is going to have his hands full. Zidane could even play Bale to target him :eek:

Nalz wrote: »
    I hope Liverpool win it.

I'm a massive Manchester United fan from a big United supporting family, some living in the greater Manchester area.

I'm old enough now not to let the banter get to me. It also helps not having any gobshītes in work tryna wind me up :p

Liverpool may have rode their luck a little bit here and there but I think they were better than Madrid in the CL, and even domestically this season. Their front 3 are great to watch and the team is full of likeable characters.

I won't be shouting for either team. I hope it will be a good final with goals galore. I just think, so far (as there is a final to play) Liverpool have been the better team in the competition.

I predict 2-1 or 3-1 Liverpool

Fair play, Nalz. In the past I wouldn't agree it was possible for any Utd fan to not wish Liverpool any ill will, and vice-versa, but then I remember letting out a hearty laugh when John Terry slipped on his hoop in Moscow, even though it meant Utd would lift the CL trophy. It was a serendipitous moment in my life.... perhaps, as you say, a sign of one's maturing years.

Well, maybe "maturing" isn't the word for it - I was, after all, laughing at a man falling over and crying in self-pity.... but you get my point! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Moreno still has a part to play in this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

brevity wrote: »

If Djimi Traore can win a champions league medal then so can he!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Similarly, TAA is going to have his hands full. Zidane could even play Bale to target him :eek:

I think we might see Clyne back in for the final and keep TAA as backup for midfield especially if Can and Lalana aren't back.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »

Playing as a striker for the last 5 minutes as Liverpool cling onto a 2-3 lead, finding himself 1 on 1 with Navas from a Van Dijk hoof over the top, rounding the keeper and scoring to make it 2-4, top off wheeling away in celebration just as a UFO zooms into the stadium and beams him up to return him to his home planet, his work here is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I think the big issue here might be hair entanglement between the pair.
    This is going to be a cracking final. At some point Liverpool will be two goals ahead.
    Hope that Felix Brych is the ref - I think he's about the best that's there.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tbh to TAA, he was excellent in the previous 3 CL games. The team as a whole looked knackered and TAA played at the weekend himself. Liverpool fans can be hopeful he can put in another excellent performance in the final.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I predicted Liverpool to beat City, but I think Madrid will win the final.
    In the two games against Roma I thought Liverpool were outclassed in midfield for much of the time. If Real give the Liverpool speedsters the respect they deserve I think they'll win the game comfortably. I'm not sure I would depend on any of the Liverpool front three to be as clinical in the final as they have been. Finals tend to be edgy and the occasions tend to be energy sapping, and not what I'd call conducive to Klopp's style of play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Can people stop trying trying to compare Salah against Marcelo to TAA against who ever Real play
    Marcelo is a brilliant defender who just so happens to be a brilliant attacker
    TAA is a poor defender who is a decent/good attacker
    There is no wingback close to Marcelo in the world

irishman86 wrote: »
    Can people stop trying trying to compare Salah against Marcelo to TAA against who ever Real play

Its a pretty relevant point seeing as that's where the match could be won and lost? Marcelo is a wonderful player, I'm interested to see how he is going to balance defending with attacking when he has Salah to look after. He could well play into Liverpool's hands because his natural game is to attack.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think we might see Clyne back in for the final and keep TAA as backup for midfield especially if Can and Lalana aren't back.

Agreed. We all know Klopp is gung-ho but he will be acutely aware that we need to be as defensively sound as possible in the final. Clyne is a top quality full back (certainly from a defensive point of view, if not overtly attacking), and TAA isn't a natural full-back at all. We're down to the bare bones in midfield and need some sort of cover on the bench, TAA will provide that.

At this moment we have 3 weak spots in the defense which Madrid will look to exploit - TAA, Lovren & Karius. If we can at least reduce that to just two, I think Klopp will.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Agreed. We all know Klopp is gung-ho but he will be acutely aware that we need to be as defensively sound as possible in the final. Clyne is a top quality full back (certainly from a defensive point of view, if not overtly attacking), and TAA isn't a natural full-back at all. We're down to the bare bones in midfield and need some sort of cover on the bench, TAA will provide that.

At this moment we have 3 weak spots in the defense which Madrid will look to exploit - TAA, Lovren & Karius. If we can at least reduce that to just two, I think Klopp will.

+1 Kroos and Modric will have a field day putting diagonals over TAA's head. Clyne looked solid and ready to go last time I seen him play hopefully he gets some more minutes under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

irishman86 wrote: »

TAA is actually a Midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Real Madrid have the quickest defense in football and will be the best defense Pool have come up against this season. Scoring goals will be very problematic. And I used Goals as in a Plural. Real Madrid will score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

TitianGerm wrote:
    TAA is actually a Midfielder.

How many games has he played at senior level as a midfield?

I love how short people's memories are. People said sane would have a field day around TAA. Yet Trent got man of he match!! TAA has been immense at right back this season. He should be starting there for England at he world cup. Yea sure dzeko who is about 20 feet taller than him, won a lot of headers but FFS he has been class this year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

+1 Kroos and Modric will have a field day putting diagonals over TAA's head. Clyne looked solid and ready to go last time I seen him play hopefully he gets some more minutes under his belt.

Both were very poor against bayern in 2nd leg, they are fantastic if given the space and time, probably the best combo in the world but trust me they wont get enough time to sneeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dcully wrote: »
    Both were very poor against bayern in 2nd leg, they are fantastic if given the space and time, probably the best combo in the world but trust me they wont get enough time to sneeze.

We should trying to do to them exactly what we did to City’s midfield in the first leg. They had absolutely zero influence on that game in the first half and not much more in the second. We definitely need Can or Lallana on the bench for the final though because our midfield will tire doing that job and fresh legs will be essential around the 55 minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Real Madrid have the quickest defense in football and will be the best defense Pool have come up against this season. Scoring goals will be very problematic. And I used Goals as in a Plural. Real Madrid will score.

You mean least worst defence! Actually, I'd argue City's defense is actually better than Real's.

Real were an absolute shambles against Bayern who don't have the quality Liverpool do up front. If Real's defense performs anything like that against liverpool, plenty of goals in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Obviously I want Liverpool to be battered, and battered badly.

I think for them from an attacking point of view it depends a lot on how Marcelo decides to play, or how much help Zidane is going to provide him cutting off the supply to Salah. Bypassing midfield and hitting balls to the channel for Salah/Mane to get on to is Liverpools best chance.

The initial press could also catch Madrid cold at the start of the match but you would be surprised given the experience they have if that was the case.

Other than that I just see Madrid winning, not utterly dominating but winning pretty clearly by a couple of goals. They are just a better team man for man and have been there and done it time and again. They have the players in midfield to control the game and are good enough to deal with the press and the have the attacking options to crucify Liverpool's defence.

I know Madrid have been giving up lots of chances themselves at the back but you have to think Zidane will not be foolish in how he sets the team up, he will surely be fully aware of where Liverpool's strengths and weaknesses are. Roma went suicidal, City have only one way to play and both played right into Liverpool's hands. I just can't see Madrid doing the same.

Could be totally wrong obviously, and I pay no attention to Klopps final record other than to wind up my Liverpool fan friends, on their day Liverpool can beat anybody. Should be a very exciting game either way, one that hopefully I will able to watch to its conclusion!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Lewandowski should have put Madrid to bed, I can't see the front three passing up those opportunities if they are given it.

Mr.H wrote: »
    How many games has he played at senior level as a midfield?

I love how short people's memories are. People said sane would have a field day around TAA. Yet Trent got man of he match!! TAA has been immense at right back this season. He should be starting there for England at he world cup. Yea sure dzeko who is about 20 feet taller than him, won a lot of headers but FFS he has been class this year.

He's been poor in a number of the biggest games. It was no coincidence that Roma were targeting him last night. They clearly identified him as a weak link and last night, he looked it. Had a good game v city, but exposed last night, looked seriously nervous in the first leg (until we blew them away) and was absolutely terrible versus United. I trust Clyne over TAA defensively.

givyjoe wrote: »
    You mean least worst defence! Actually, I'd argue City's defense is actually better than Real's.

Real were an absolute shambles against Bayern who don't have the quality Liverpool do up front. If Real's defense performs anything like that against liverpool, plenty of goals in it.

Real have a better defence than City. Don't be fooled, against Bayern there was personnel issues, (Vasquez is not a right back and was targeted) and then incredibly while Bayern were throwing everything at Madrid Zidane switched to a 3 at the back when bringing on Bale which only further made the situation worse.

Bayern created some good opportunities during the next few minutes with the amount of space and freedom they had in the wide areas, it was borderline suicidal tactics by Zidane. He then brought on Nacho and went back to a 4 man defence.

There is no doubt which of these two teams is more vulnerable at the back tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Real have a better defence than City. Don't be fooled, against Bayern there was personnel issues, (Vasquez is not a right back and was targeted) and then incredibly while Bayern were throwing everything at Madrid Zidane switched to a 3 at the back when bringing on Bale which only further made the situation worse.

Bayern created some good opportunities during the next few minutes with the amount of space and freedom they had in the wide areas, it was borderline suicidal tactics by Zidane. He then brought on Nacho and went back to a 4 man defence.

There is no doubt which of these two teams is more vulnerable at the back tbh.

Bayern created lots of chances in the first leg too.

both teams have conceded 37 goals in their respective leagues

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    He's been poor in a number of the biggest games. It was no coincidence that Roma were targeting him last night. They clearly identified him as a weak link and last night, he looked it. Had a good game v city, but exposed last night, looked seriously nervous in the first leg (until we blew them away) and was absolutely terrible versus United. I trust Clyne over TAA defensively.

What do you think about Klopp though and his loyalty to players who have played?

As in TAA has played a bigger part in getting ye to a final so he may get the nod as he "deserves" it more in Klopps eyes?

both teams have conceded 37 goals in their respective leagues

Yes, and this is with Madrid having a very bad season and Liverpool having a good one. (Not even getting into the difference in leagues themselves :))

Yes, and this is with Madrid having a very bad season and Liverpool having a good one. (Not even getting into the difference in leagues themselves :))

both have conceded 13 in the champions league this year.

both have conceded 13 in the champions league this year.

Obviously you place a lot of stock in naked statistics but from your one line posts its tough to gauge what your argument is....well, its obviously not an argument. What point is it you think you are making?

What do you think about Klopp though and his loyalty to players who have played?

As in TAA has played a bigger part in getting ye to a final so he may get the nod as he "deserves" it more in Klopps eyes?

That's a factor for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp sticks with TAA for the final, but I just have a feeling he'll go with Clyne who was his 1st choice last season. Has barely played this year due to fitness issues but he's being slowly re-introduced. I assume he'll play at Chelsea to give him further game time, and to give TAA a rest, but if he plays the final league game against Brighton then he'll start the final, imo. I suspect that will be the only change.

Hopefully Lallana will be fit enough for the bench. As for Can? Who knows what's going on there.

I don't care for blind loyalty. Players need to earn their place, in a number of big games, TAA has been exposed. You pick your best 11, that for me means Clyne playing if he's fit.

It is going to be a long 3 weeks

Obviously you place a lot of stock in naked statistics but from your one line posts its tough to gauge what your argument is....well, its obviously not an argument. What point is it you think you are making?

Both teams look vulnerable at the back. If Bayern were in anyway clinical in both legs, they would have scored a lot more.
    I'm not sure that it's obvious which team is more vulnerable at the back. Liverpool stifled the highest scorers in the english league over two legs.
    No need to be snarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think this will come into it. TAA has played some superb passes down the side channels for goals (the crucial first goal against City springs to mind, I believe that was TAA who set that move in motion).

Lack of game time for Clyne being a big factor too.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't TAA starting the final though I understand the argument for considering Clyne.

[QUOTE=StringerBell;106898737]Real have a better defence than City. Don't be fooled, against Bayern there was personnel issues, (Vasquez is not a right back and was targeted) and then incredibly while Bayern were throwing everything at Madrid Zidane switched to a 3 at the back when bringing on Bale which only further made the situation worse.

There is no doubt which of these two teams is more vulnerable at the back tbh.[/QUOTE]

Fooled based on what? Real's complete inability to defend?! There's actually quite a lot of doubt. City place themselves under pressure because of their style of play, whereas real have simply been defending terribly. Marcelo is a joke in terms of defense, he simply doesn't do it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement