Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I predicted Liverpool to beat City, but I think Madrid will win the final.
    In the two games against Roma I thought Liverpool were outclassed in midfield for much of the time. If Real give the Liverpool speedsters the respect they deserve I think they'll win the game comfortably. I'm not sure I would depend on any of the Liverpool front three to be as clinical in the final as they have been. Finals tend to be edgy and the occasions tend to be energy sapping, and not what I'd call conducive to Klopp's style of play.

I genuinely want to see what games you watched. There is simply no way you watched the 2 legs and drew that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hoping the best Real turn up on the night and that Ronaldo can once again steal the show and score a winner, but it will be a close one I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Nalz wrote: »
    I hope Liverpool win it.

I'm a massive Manchester United fan from a big United supporting family, some living in the greater Manchester area.

I'm old enough now not to let the banter get to me. It also helps not having any gobshītes in work tryna wind me up :p

Liverpool may have rode their luck a little bit here and there but I think they were better than Madrid in the CL, and even domestically this season. Their front 3 are great to watch and the team is full of likeable characters.

I won't be shouting for either team. I hope it will be a good final with goals galore. I just think, so far (as there is a final to play) Liverpool have been the better team in the competition.

I predict 2-1 or 3-1 Liverpool

A shameful attempt at getting thanks.

Any United "fan" who wants Liverpool to win another Champions League is no fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I hate Liver***** as I call them but I’ve always enjoyed Klopp’s style of play from Dortmund and reminds me of the Keegan era at Newcastle.
    Liverpool definitely have a very exciting team this year and I sincerely hope they can keep this team together for a good few years and go on to better things.
    It absolutely kills me to say it but I’m hoping they win the CL final. They deserve it. God I thought I’d never say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On paper Real have the better players. They should be able to get a foothold in midfield as they have the better players there. The strength in depth should also be a telling factor.

On the other hand, with how Liverpool have been and that front 3, it'd be foolish to completely write them. They could pull something from nothing, which makes for an exciting final.

Prediction is Liverpool to take the lead, then it goes to ET where Real will win it out. Only a goal in it, so will 3-2 final score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

givyjoe wrote: »
    You pick your best 11, that for me means Clyne playing if he's fit.

Whats the deal with Clyne, I assume he was out injured but was it for long and is he only now available? Or was TAA just being picked ahead of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Whats the deal with Clyne, I assume he was out injured but was it for long and is he only now available? Or was TAA just being picked ahead of him?

He missed the season with a back injury supposedly, there was a lot of rumours at the time that he failed an in house drug test, not sure how accurate they are though but I'm sure the liverpool lads will clarify. in the middle of the season he was spotted partying in LA with musicians while supposedly being in Rehabilitation for the injury. thats all i can remember anyways

I've just checked his stats for this season, I see he has a few appearances last month but very little time on the field all told.

Surely he would be a very risky option for the final? I know there are a few other games left for him to get game time but this early into his return can Liverpool even be sure of what they are getting? If he has missed all season, whether it be back injury or drugs or whatever, then its very possible that he does not hit the ground running again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Its a pretty relevant point seeing as that's where the match could be won and lost? Marcelo is a wonderful player, I'm interested to see how he is going to balance defending with attacking when he has Salah to look after. He could well play into Liverpool's hands because his natural game is to attack.

Or he could kill Liverpool since Salah wont track him back

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    TAA is actually a Midfielder.

That doesnt make a bit of difference does it

irishman86 wrote: »

The liverpool front three are always expected to track back though, you often see Salah down at his own corner flag, same with Mane on the other side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Salah does track back, he didn't much v Roma away and it's been suggested this was Klopps orders (try and exploit space in behind) and Milner did most of the helping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I've just checked his stats for this season, I see he has a few appearances last month but very little time on the field all told.

Surely he would be a very risky option for the final? I know there are a few other games left for him to get game time but this early into his return can Liverpool even be sure of what they are getting? If he has missed all season, whether it be back injury or drugs or whatever, then its very possible that he does not hit the ground running again.

Gone for nearly the whole season with a back injury but it was never really properly explained, hence the failed drug test theory. In any event, he's fully fit now, with a few sub appearances to ease him back in, similar to how Lallana was eased back in recently (before his unrelated second injury struck).

Very interesting to see if Clyne starts against Chelsea on Sunday. He was ever present last year and is easily our best right-back. The fact that Liverpool have such little midfield cover may also swing in his favour to start the final.

astradave wrote: »
    The liverpool front three are always expected to track back though, you often see Salah down at his own corner flag, same with Mane on the other side

So will be uneffective as he will spend the night tracking Marcelo

That’s not how football works :p Real won’t have 100% of the possession and won’t have it all down their left side either..off the ball he’s quicker from the standpoint than Marcelo too, possible Marcelo catches him if he is on the ball, and this is from a person who absolutely adores Marcelo as a player.

• Advertisement

That’s not how football works :p Real won’t have 100% of the possession and won’t have it all down their left side either..off the ball he’s quicker from the standpoint than Marcelo too, possible Marcelo catches him if he is on the ball, and this is from a person who absolutely adores Marcelo as a player.

But since Marcelo will be attacking all the time, Salah will have to track him
    Thats the flawed logic being used anyways that Salah will have acres of space cause Marcelo will be attacking
    He isnt that much quicker, I dont think Marcelo will have much restless nights worring about Salah he plays Messi about ten times a year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I would play the same 11 in the final But.
    I would swap gini and milner.
    Pools left side is very strong in defence with vandike and robo with mane very good at tracking back beter than Mo.
    The week side is the right with taa and lovern. by swapping milner to that side it will give taa more cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

eh? Salah does track back, all the front 3 do. Gegenpressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Lads does anyone know any bars in Dublin where you can book a table for the game?

The sugar club on leeson st is but they are booked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lads does anyone know any bars in Dublin where you can book a table for the game?

The sugar club on leeson st is but they are booked out.

Woolshed/Living Room

Parnell st mate.

• Advertisement

Woolshed/Living Room

Parnell st mate.

You can’t book tables in either of those can you?

You can’t book tables in either of those can you?

100% you can mate. Done it in Woolshed plenty of times for matches/food and can request a table.

100% you can mate. Done it in Woolshed plenty of times for matches/food and can request a table.

Oh cool thanks, might try that then.

Do Slatterys in D4 do something similar Im wondering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Really hoping Liverpool win this now just had few quid on treble united fa cup, athletico Europa league. Nice price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

My friend, a huge United supporter, has a dream for the final:

2-2 coming up to the final minute of injury time. Ronaldo is through, but knocks the ball wide and dives over Karius. Complete dive, but penalty given regardless.
    Ronaldo steps up, smashes the ball into the top corner and runs off to the corner, taking off his shirt to reveal: a United jersey!
    :pac:

I reminded him that he would be far better off being there, but still funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

2-2 coming up to the final minute of injury time. Ronaldo is through, but knocks the ball wide and dives over Karius. Complete dive, but penalty given regardless.
    Ronaldo steps up, smashes the ball into the top corner and runs off to the corner, taking off his shirt to reveal: a United jersey!

Sounds like your friend needs to see a mental health professional :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Ronaldo steps up, smashes the ball into the top corner and runs off to the corner, taking off his shirt
    to reveal: a United jersey!

I'd say you would get very small odds on the bit in bold happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

'my friend' .. yeah .. sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Liverpool could very easy change to Mo up top Mane wide right and Bobby left, They done this a number of times this season during games, Or even Both mo and Bobby up top and Mane in behind ,
    All depends if  Marcelo is causing us problems or the other way around ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

United fans’ obsession with a player that deserted them for a bigger team is definitely the most amusing aspect of the buildup to this final. It’ll be even funnier if he does sweet fcuk all up against a 19 year old Scouser on the night too.

As they say though, win or lose, nothing beats being there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's almost as hard trying to get tickets to watch the game somewhere in Liverpool than it is trying to get tickets / travel / accommodation to Kiev. Madness

Every sort of a venue selling out already with a massive demand. 2 places have said that they have had 5 figure numbers in terms of people trying to buy tickets for capacity of 150-300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Your friend is a United fan and his dream final doesn't involve United sums them up really ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FitzShane wrote: »
    It's almost as hard trying to get tickets to watch the game somewhere in Liverpool than it is trying to get tickets / travel / accommodation to Kiev. Madness

Every sort of a venue selling out already with a massive demand. 2 places have said that they have had 5 figure numbers in terms of people trying to buy tickets for capacity of 150-300.

Sandon beside the ground are not charging but you may have to be there all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Just posted this on the Liverpool thread but might make more sense in here...

Assuming no further injuries, or players to come back from injury, same team for the final?

To be honest, after tonight's game I think Clyne will start against Chelsea in place of TAA - partially to take him out of the spotlight but also for Klopp to run the rule over Clyne in a big game after his lengthy lay-off. If Clyne does well, he may well start against Brighton which would indicate he will play the final.

Whatever team Klopp selects for that last league game will also play in Kiev. We need more defensive protection on that side and TAA just ain't a full-back - caught out a lot with the ball over the top. He'll be more important to have on the bench as midfield cover, considering how light we are in that area.

Klopp has his own view on full-backs - and most other positions on the pitch. It tickles me when people analyse the Liverpool team according to established mores, in isolation of how Klopp looks at his team.
    One look at Moreno's longevity in the team while making continuous mistakes - including an appearance in a European final - should tell any fan that Klopp simply does not listen to media narratives so beloved of us fans. The narrative in this case is that TAA is too young and has been exposed twice with balls over his head, which is all well and true.
    But if we know anything about Klopp's outlook on this situation, we know he will see this as an opportunity to inspire his player to greater heights while not taking 1 backward step versus Madrid.
    If Liverpool can keep Marcelo busy in his own half - with TAA overlapping / linking up with Salah / firing in crosses - then it really doesn't matter that TAA is young and makes the odd lapse of concentration.
    The only reason I could foresee TAA not starting at RB is to have an extra midfielder on the bench (or starting TAA in midfield).

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

My friend has a dream for the FA Cup final where Remi Moses scores the winner, whips off his shirt to reveal a Liverpool jersey....my friend is a bit of a wänker. What's your friend like?

Your friend is a United fan and his dream final doesn't involve United sums them up really ,

Think you need to learn to read better.

''My friend, a huge United supporter, has a dream for the final''

I put it in bold just incase you couldn't understand it again.

Think you need to learn to read better.

''My friend, a huge United supporter, has a dream for the final''

I put it in bold just incase you couldn't understand it again.

They read what they want.

garra wrote: »
    It tickles me when people analyse the Liverpool team according to established mores, in isolation of how Klopp looks at his team.

Did you ever hear such shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Liverpool win

• Advertisement

jbt123 wrote: »
    My friend has a dream for the FA Cup final where Remi Moses scores the winner, whips off his shirt to reveal a Liverpool jersey....my friend is a bit of a wer. What's your friend like?

I don't associate with ****, I can't speak for yourself.

I don't associate with ****, I can't speak for yourself.

Nah, all groups of friends have that one standout fella that everyone within the group just acknowledges that he's a bit of a wänker, with stupid statements and reasoning. I can recognise it amongst my circle of friends. If you can't see who that is in your perfect circle of friends then... well..you know the rest.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jbt123 wrote: »
    My friend has a dream for the FA Cup final where Remi Moses scores the winner, whips off his shirt to reveal a Liverpool jersey....my friend is a bit of a wer. What's your friend like?

Wasn't Remi Moses a Man Utd player in the 80's?

Wrong Moses methinks.

5starpool wrote: »
    Wasn't Remi Moses a Man Utd player in the 80's?

Wrong Moses methinks.

Im a Pool fan, obviously living in the past... Victor it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Could you blame him, he would probably turn them off himself they are that boring. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

martyos121 wrote: »
    United fans’ obsession with a player that deserted them for a bigger team is definitely the most amusing aspect of the buildup to this final. It’ll be even funnier if he does sweet fcuk all up against a 19 year old Scouser on the night too.

As they say though, win or lose, nothing beats being there. :)

If the final was Barca v Utd then Liverpool fans would be doing the exact same thing regards Suarez, don't be claiming the moral high ground.

• Advertisement

If the final was Barca v Utd then Liverpool fans would be doing the exact same thing regards Suarez, don't be claiming the moral high ground.

Maybe you would. Personally, I don’t have any affection for the players that left us for Barcelona. I’d want United to lose because it’s United. Yours was a very poorly thought out post tbh. United in a Champions League final. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

martyos121 wrote: »
    Maybe you would. Personally, I don’t have any affection for the players that left us for Barcelona. I’d want United to lose because it’s United. Yours was a very poorly thought out post tbh. United in a Champions League final. :pac:

Yes I would and so would you whether you care to admit it or not.

As for your OP As they say though, win or lose, nothing beats being there

Who says that? Not a saying I'm familiar with, it will be fck all consolation to me if Liverpool lose the final, I definitely won't be chirping at work 'at least we were there lads'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Did you ever hear such shite.

Thanks for your sagacious contribution to the thread

Thanks for your sagacious contribution to the thread
    It tickles me when people analyse the Liverpool team according to established mores, in isolation of how Klopp looks at his team.

:rolleyes:

Yes I would and so would you whether you care to admit it or not.

As for your OP As they say though, win or lose, nothing beats being there

Who says that? Not a saying I'm familiar with, it will be fck all consolation to me if Liverpool lose the final, I definitely won't be chirping at work 'at least we were there lads'.

An obvious reference to the post shortly before mine that I was mocking.

It wasn’t even subtle. Try to keep up bud, it’s not difficult.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement