Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I can't wait for when Spain get knocked out of the world cup. Laugh at Ramos.

I think people are going a bit 2 hard on Ramos trying to get a player sent off like Ronaldo a few years ago with the wink yes but to injury a player he is no Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,008 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

titan18 wrote: »
    What the hell is Marcelo doing?

Getting a souvenir for his girl Annette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

From a neutral perspective, not a great game.

Liverpool started really well and looked dangerous, but Madrid had dampened that fairly well after about 20 minutes, even before Salah went off.

After Salah went off, Liverpool never really got back into the driving seat, but still, Madrid, even though they started to get the better of things, didn't really threaten too much.

In the second half, Karius just handed them the match really, but there were a few Liverpool players that you'd expect more from - Firminho and Henderson especially. I don't think it can all be put down to Salah going off either. I thought Mane did well though. Madrid never dominated, but they looked comfortable enough during the second half, and unlike Liverpool, they overcame a stinker from Ronaldo because enough of their other players did well.

Too many body blows, and at the wrong times, for Liverpool to recover from.

A real lesson as to just how much a poor keeper can cost you as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Unearthly wrote: »
    Christ that was enjoyable

It was and it wasnt. I wanted Real to win but those Karius mistakes I didn't want to see. Whether you thought all along he wasnt good enough or not - me personally I though he had a pretty good season and had turned it around for himself - that was car crash tv and to see a guy singled out like that is awful to witness.
    Goalie is the loneliest place in the world when you make a mistake but in CL final making two like that. No words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Genuinely feel sorry for Karius, career ending blunders. The “neutrals” tonight must be wetting themselves. Hard luck Liverpool from a real neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

osarusan wrote: »
    From a neutral perspective, not a great game.

Liverpool started really well and looked dangerous, but Madrid had dampened that fairly well after about 20 minutes, even before Salah went off.

After Salah went off, Liverpool never really got back into the driving seat, but still, Madrid were comfortable without really threatening too much.

In the second half, Karius just handed them the match really, but there were a few Liverpool players that you'd expect more from - Firminho and Henderson especially. I don't think it can all be put down to Salah going off either. I thought Mane did well though. Madrid never dominated, but they looked comfortable enough during the second half.

Too many body blows, and at the wrong times, for Liverpool to recover from.

A real lesson as to just how much a poor keeper can cost you as well.

Not a great game?

You need to find a different sport to watch I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hard to be disappointed to be honest. Getting this far was beyond my wildest dreams. And Spartak, Man City and Roma home games are 3 of the best performances I've ever seen live. What a journey.

And what a goal by Gareth Bale. Pretty much a crime for them not to win after a goal of that quality goes in.

Just incredibly proud of Liverpool. To get to a final with that squad while still finishing ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal in the league was great. And moreso because of how we've played all season. Have thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait until next season.

Well done Madrid. Fully deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Bale really didn't hold back in that interview, did he! He seemed more p^ssed off than anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Weren't there a few Liverpool lads on here hoping to get Madrid in the CL?

Tehehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's unreal

He was holding off two players pressing him all night

Precisely. It was mental. Never seen the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

spockety wrote: »
    Let he who has just played and lost a CL final for 90 minutes cast the first Stone.

Its rival fans getting the digs in we be doing the same if the roles are reversed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Gerard been very harsh.

Short memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not really mentioned here, but a rare very quiet, and fairly poor game for Firmino tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I think people are going a bit 2 hard on Ramos trying to get a player sent off like Ronaldo a few years ago with the wink yes but to injury a player he is no Roy Keane

You do realise he has been sent off over 20 times in his career. If It was any other sport he would have been banned for life. Anyways like I said I'll enjoy his comeupins in the world cup.

The question has to be asked, is Klopp a busted flush?

Perennial Underachiever.

3 final losses out of 3.

Lower points finish than last year.

The ultimate one trick pony?

I dunno. Got to the final, only one other can say they did. Every other club in Europe failed to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm far from neutral but no point getting the knives out on a night like this and having "banter".

Pool fans will need a thick skin tonight but can be happy with their season overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Parry-us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Nice to see everyone in here to gloat. Cant stand real but they know how to win. Could have been so much different with Salah on, spoiled the final tbh. And of course the keeper errors, you might never see something like that again, unfortunate match for it to happen in.

Strumms wrote: »
    Getting a souvenir for his girl Annette

Ah, Annette, I forgot about Annette...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Fairly handy game overall for Madrid,barely got out of second gear.

I heard Liverpool's starting 11 cost more than Madrid's? Sounded mad, no idea is it true but look they did well, they overachieved to get to the final this year and the fans got a good run out of it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Parry-us

Karry On Karrius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not really mentioned here, but a rare very quiet, and fairly poor game for Firmino tonight

Madrid negated the press once Salah went off. Firmino was great up until that point.

The threat of our system this season is that normally you've two dynamos out wide who go in behind. It means when we win the ball back, the direct ball is on as we've all sorts of options, so the opposition defence has to step back or second guess. So Firmino then has room. Lallana did nothing so there was nothing for Firmino to work in.

Also his pressing was rendered useless by Modric's ingenious strength, movement and use of the ball. Normally Firmino eats the opposition deep playmaker for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

As a LFC fan, it's disappointing but I'm surprisingly upbeat about it. Despite the blunders, I don't think we played well enough to win anyway. Real were the better team, and we underperformed (with the exception of Mane, VVD, Lovren & Robertson). Fair play to Madrid, hope their fans and Man Utd fans enjoy the night ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ramos is the best CB in the world.

Every single one of us would have him in our team.

He's like the Tommy Walsh of sawker. Everyone hates him but most would have him in their team in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Thankfully the deluded pool fans in work who expected to win a 5-3 thriller will be nice and quiet on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

G'wan Karius!

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Bale obviously with a wonder goal but Modric was absolutely sensational to watch, the touch, the spacing, the passing was sublime. Ran the show on his own, what a player !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Liverpool with such a frightening front 3 really showed the lack of depth they have when losing one of them.
    A tame effort on target in the first half by their worst defender on the night and scoring from a set piece in the second half showed how weak they can be. A 20 minute press at the start of the game was all they really offered.
    With proper investment in defence and midfield while keeping that attack, they could make the step up to major honours.
    I would rather they play Henderson and his type and sell their major assets every year or two but in the back of my mind I worry that maybe one day football will be their priority over income.

d22ontour wrote: »
    A tame effort on target in the first half by their worst defender on the night

Slightly harsh on Navas there. One he should be saving but it wasn't easy to catch it like he did, pretty much caught it one handed while diving. It wasn't going to go in alright but would have been easy to spill if he didn't get it right.

Karius in the same situation for example....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Karius was quite poor for Bales goal too. Was ball watching for a few moments before moving. Ball ended far from in the corner of the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Benzino wrote: »
    As a LFC fan, it's disappointing but I'm surprisingly upbeat about it. Despite the blunders, I don't think we played well enough to win anyway. Real were the better team, and we underperformed (with the exception of Mane, VVD, Lovren & Robertson). Fair play to Madrid, hope their fans and Man Utd fans enjoy the night ha!

You are a good cup team but your luck ran out in the end

League is a different ball game

Not impressed with Bale being interviewed and and piśsing and moaning that he didn’t start...implying that he should have started.

• Rekop dog wrote: »
    Karius was quite poor for Bales goal too. Was ball watching for a few moments before moving. Ball ended far from in the corner of the net.

Harsh on him tbf
    Bales goal was never gonna be stopped

Karius actually made a great save to keep Ronaldo out

His blunder shot his confidence IMO but up until that he was having a decent game

• Strumms wrote: »
    Not impressed with Bale being interviewed and and piśsing and moaning that he didn’t start...implying that he should have started.

I hope it continues.
    Sign him up Jose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Strumms wrote: »
    Arrogant and classless interview from Bale tbh. I doubt it will go down well in Madrid. Would have been wiser to show a bit more humility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The question has to be asked, is Klopp a busted flush?

Perennial Underachiever.

3 final losses out of 3.

Lower points finish than last year.

The ultimate one trick pony?

But what a roller coaster ride. Ask any Newcastle fan, we’d have the Keegan years back in a heartbeat. We might win sodall but what a trip.
    Look at Man U fans with Mourinho, they detest him and his style of play even after winning trophies last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

wadacrack wrote: »
    Arrogant and classless interview from Bale tbh. I doubt it will go down well in Madrid. Would have been wiser to show a bit more humility

I would say frustrated and fed up. On his bike too by the sound of it

Rekop dog wrote: »

Ah listen, laugh at Liverpool all you want, laugh even harder at Karius. But you're being completely disingenuous to Bale there. THE BEST European Cup final goal of all time. Ludicrous to downplay the quality of that goal by questioning the keeper's position. The reason goals like this are so good is that you can't imagine how anyone could save it. That's how good the goal was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

He said he was disappointed at being on the bench, that he felt his form could have meant him starting, that he wanted to make an impact when he got on, that its a team game and the manager has to pick 11 players and someone has to be on the bench and thats the managers decision. I dont see too much wrong in this and if anything he was reluctant to even claim the bicycle kick goal as that special. He the said that the league campaign was disappointing but that winning the CL means it was a good season.

wadacrack wrote: »

Yes, especially as they won, might have had a gripe if they didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Such a disapointing & strange night

- Salah injury + out of WC
    - Karius mistakes
    - Ronaldo wants to leave Real as does Bale

MD1990 wrote: »
    Such a disapointing & strange night

- Salah injury + out of WC
    - Karius mistakes
    - Ronaldo wants to leave Real as does Bale

Salah isn't definitely out yet I don't think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

8-10 wrote: »
    Ah listen, laugh at Liverpool all you want, laugh even harder at Karius. But you're being completely disingenuous to Bale there. THE BEST European Cup final goal of all time. Ludicrous to downplay the quality of that goal by questioning the keeper's position. The reason goals like this are so good is that you can't imagine how anyone could save it. That's how good the goal was.

The technique was sublime but the keeper was flat footed. A lot of keepers save that imo. Neither the power or direction made that unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

8-10 wrote: »

Most spectular maybe but I wouldnt say the best. Goals like that rely on a lot of luck, everything going right. Zidane's volley I would rate higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just a shout out to mods. Good job tonight

Not easy when emotions are high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You are a good cup team but your luck ran out in the end

League is a different ball game

The league is a different ball game alright, but city aside, do you think we are really that far off the other teams? I don't, although Utd will outspend us which makes it more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I hope it continues.
    Sign him up Jose

If he has any sense he and any other decent attackers will stay away from united under mourinho. Unless he wants to move back to playing left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SteM

Benzino wrote: »
    The league is a different ball game alright, but city aside, do you think we are really that far off the other teams? I don't, although Utd will outspend us which makes it more difficult.

If you're talking about a tilt at the league then you can't say 'city aside', they're the team to beat. Don't know why United should outspend Liverpool this summer when the Coutinho money is there to be spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Unearthly wrote: »
    Just a shout out to mods. Good job tonight

Not easy when emotions are high

Ur joking right? They only bothered their asses handing out a coupe of yellows and then gave up.
    I got a yellow for calling Ramos a ****e and about 10 posters after me but then they pack it in.
    No consistency whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Devastated, but what a journey.

It's a good time to be a Liverpool fan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement