Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

lassykk wrote: »
    If he has any sense he and any other decent attackers will stay away from united under mourinho. Unless he wants to move back to playing left back

Nah, United have Sanchez to play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

All **** aside,

I thought Mane was excellent tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

anyone tell me the name of the track RTE played at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ronaldo wants to leave Real as does Bale

Ronaldo pulls this stunt every year.

He'll drag it out and sign a new contract on even more money.

He'll do the same again next year. And the year after. And the year after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The technique was sublime but the keeper was flat footed. A lot of keepers save that imo. Neither the power or direction made that unstoppable.

no keeper would stop that - cause no one would expect it - it was a touch of genius in not a great game -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

SteM wrote: »
    If you're talking about a tilt at the league then you can't say 'city aside', they're the team to beat. Don't know why United should outspend Liverpool this summer when the Coutinho money is there to be spent.

I'm not talking about a tilt at the league, I'm responding to LFC been referred to as a cup team. We only finished 6 points off second place.

I don't think City will be beaten next year in the league, it'd have to be a bit of a **** up on their part for that to happen imo, but I hope I'm wrong.

Well we may have already spent a chunk of that on VVD. I expect Utd will outspend LFC this summer. I hope I'm wrong on this too.

Anyway, this isn't the place to discuss the league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On bright side Liverpool fans ye join Arsenal been the 2 English teams to lose 3 European finals in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

MD1990 wrote: »
    Such a disapointing & strange night

- Salah injury + out of WC
    - Karius mistakes
    - Ronaldo wants to leave Real as does Bale

Liverpool should've bought a better quality goalkeeper last summer, it has bit them on the ass tonight.

Karius' mistakes and having the night he had weren't a shock to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Would be gutting for Carvajal to miss the World Cup. Hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Paully D wrote: »
    Ronaldo pulls this stunt every year.

He'll drag it out and sign a new contract on even more money.

He'll do the same again next year. And the year after. And the year after.
    I'd call his bluff.

Tonight, as well as the semi and quarters, proved he is well past his best

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I lifted it with him in my heart
    I'm the Ramos of boards so I've been told :D

This explains how i enjoy you, ive been referred to as Pepe in my day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Three in a row and four out of five CLs.

That has to be even above Ajax and Bayern of the 70s (3 in a row) and Madrid (5 in a row) as the greatest European club achievement of all time.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Three in a row and four out of five CLs.

That has to be even above Ajax and Bayern of the 70s (3 in a row) and Madrid (5 in a row) as the greatest European club achievement of all time.

It probably is on paper, but again they won without much flair.

I think they deserved the win tonight, they were marginally the better team. Help of course when you're playing a team with a junior level keeper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Genuinely feel sorry for Karius, career ending blunders. The “neutrals” tonight must be wetting themselves. Hard luck Liverpool from a real neutral.

I dont think anyone feels anything but sorry for Karius
    Delighted Liverpool lost as a Real fan but to not feel for the guy is well the sign of a prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd call his bluff.

Tonight, as well as the semi and quarters, proved he is well past his best

I could see him go to PSG this summer for sure , the way he was looking at the fans and the words at the end point to that being possibly his last match for them.

Still delighted in team photos and stuff but looked like a guy soaking it all in one last time looking at the crowd. Who could blame him really he will be 34 in February.

Time waits for no man and what a career he has had. Can still have a couple of years in France banging in goals for fun and tearing the league up. Be easier on him too for pushing PSG toward their ultimate goal of CL success with less pressure on the league games.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Enjoyed that.

If I was in charge of Madrid, I'd sell Ronnie and keep Bale, and buy a few more players in.

Have to move on sometime. Might as well be this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Blazer wrote:
    Ur joking right? They only bothered their asses handing out a coupe of yellows and then gave up. I got a yellow for calling Ramos a ****e and about 10 posters after me but then they pack it in. No consistency whatsoever.

I got a warning for saying that they took Salah out. ****ing Muppet's the mods.

Am I the only person who saw not much wrong with the ramos challenge on salah?

Ok so he pulled him down, but that kind of challenge happens all the time in football, I don't think ramos meant to bring his color bone, he just fell awkwardly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It probably is on paper, but again they won without much flair.

I think they deserved the win tonight, they were marginally the better team. Help of course when you're playing a team with a junior level keeper.
    I think the sheer level of competition they've beaten in the knockouts probably more than offsets that. They've had some seriously difficult routes to the trophy but keep coming up with it, plus the 'glamour' aspect of one of the absolute best players of all time shattering goalscoring records in the process (I don't see how both Mesis and Ronaldo can be anything but on the level of Pele & Maradona at this point, though that's a different matter I guess).

On their first they beat both of the finalists from the year prior on the way there (Bayern & Dortmund), then beat an incredible Atletico team in the final.

For their second they beat Chelsea, PSG, City and that same Atletico team.

For their third they took out Atletico, Bayern and Juve.

And this year it's been PSG, Bayern and Juve before tonight.

They just keep beating the best teams in Europe on the way to being the best team in Europe, year after year. I thought Zidane was woeful hire and have to admit he's left egg on my face (same with Leo Cullen at Leinster actually, both very similar hires).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ok so he pulled him down, but that kind of challenge happens all the time in football, I don't think ramos meant to bring his color bone, he just fell awkwardly

Nope. It’s the sort of thing you see in loads of games without incident.

It was a freak injury.

• NIMAN wrote: »

Lads emotions running wild, I imagine when the dust has settled it's clear as day that this type of thing happens all the time. He didn't shoot him or try and break his legs.

He fell awkwardly even if Ramos dragged him down.

He's a defender and he committed a foul. Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Benzino wrote: »
    As a LFC fan, it's disappointing but I'm surprisingly upbeat about it. Despite the blunders, I don't think we played well enough to win anyway. Real were the better team, and we underperformed (with the exception of Mane, VVD, Lovren & Robertson). Fair play to Madrid, hope their fans and Man Utd fans enjoy the night ha!

You are a good cup team but your luck ran out in the end

League is a different ball game

I love this “good cup team” nonsense, often used by fans of certain clubs to diminish the accomplishments of others.

I think it probably was first rolled out when some relegation stricken team went on a bit of a roll through the FA or League cup, now it’s used to slag off a team that finished top 4 in the PL and made it to the European Cup final...

Tonight had a proper passing of the torch feel from Ronaldo to Bale. Bale was the difference maker and ignored Ronaldo a few times when he could/should have played him in.

If he can stay fit I imagine he will be a big player for them in the coming years, as long as Ronaldo goes this summer.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

I'm far from a Ramos fan but yeah I'd agree with you, I don't think Ramos' intention was to dislocate his shoulder or anything like that, just to drag him down with him and let him know he was going nowhere. Salah fell badly. If it was any other Madrid player I don't think we would see the hatred we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

laugh my bollocks off

Told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I see a lot of LFC fans tweeting this. Just totally ignoring the fact that VVD pushes Ramos straight into Karius :pac:

https://twitter.com/68Bor/status/1000484828662427648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I love the biased opinions on here.

Ramos deserved the yellow card simple as.

He put Salah out of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

If it was anyone else involved I would say it was an unfortunate tussle. If Ramos did know what he was doing he is an evil genius, and yet I have an awful feeling that he is...

Yeah I've seen that, been laughing at people here and on Facebook using it as evidence of Ramos elbowing the keeper and should be sent off :) proper selective viewing

• mikeym wrote: »
    I love the biased opinions on here.

Ramos deserved the yellow card simple as.

He put Salah out of the game.

I don't think anyone has said it wasn't
    It was a foul and yes it could have been a yellow but it wasn't that bad

Lads screaming for him to be banned and calling him scum is way over the top

It's the nature of the modern football fan, they will analyse this game to death.

Let's be honest, it was a poor game played by 2 average teams on the night. The slightly better one won. There was little class on show for the biggest game in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fairly handy game overall for Madrid,barely got out of second gear.

I heard Liverpool's starting 11 cost more than Madrid's? Sounded mad, no idea is it true but look they did well, they overachieved to get to the final this year and the fans got a good run out of it.

Karius - 4m
    TAA - Youth Team
    Lovern - 25m?
    VVD - 75m
    Robertson - 8m
    Henderson - 15m
    Milner - Free
    Gini - 25m
    Salah - 35m
    Firmino - 35m
    Mane - 35m

260m or there abouts ?

Ronaldo was 80m or there abouts on his own so I'd say Madrid had the more expensive team even though they have a lot of players who they bought/signed when they were running out of contract in Spain.

It's the nature of the modern football fan, they will analyse this game to death.

Let's be honest, it was a poor game played by 2 average teams on the night. The slightly better one won. There was outlets class on show for the biggest game in world football.

Modric was exceptional tonight
    A world class performance
    He still has considerable strength even if he is getting older
    He was so calm in possession, even with Liverpools helter-skelter approach

And the game was won with a Wonder goal

I'm happy with that

• Advertisement

Jez lads, stop the over analysis, it was muck tonight, and the slightly better team won.

Liverpool simply had nothing once Mo went off, even though he did nothing up to his going off.

Madrid had more class, and it showed in the end

Maybe in 10 yrs more they'll get another shot at it.

Jez lads, stop the over analysis, it was muck tonight, and the slightly better team won.

Liverpool simply had nothing once Mo went off, even though he did nothing up to his going off.

Madrid had more class, and it showed in the end

Maybe in 10 yrs more they'll get another shot at it.

Just to be clear, I thought the rest of Madrid was average tonight as were Liverpool
    Ronaldo was awful too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Quality stuff. Gotta love it. Stuff of dreams. Go Madrid. The better bench won. Its out bad to be still laughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TitianGerm wrote: »

260m or there abouts ?

Ronaldo was 80m or there abouts on his own so I'd say Madrid had the more expensive team even though they have a lot of players who they bought/signed when they were running out of contract in Spain.

Madrids starting lineup cost €296m, which is just under £260m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I don't think anyone has said it wasn't
    It was a foul and yes it could have been a yellow but it wasn't that bad

Lads screaming for him to be banned and calling him scum is way over the top

Calling for a ban is stupid, but Ramos has been a dislikeable chap for most of his career, master of the dark arts to coin a phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Madrids starting lineup cost €296m, which is just under £260m.

I don't know if my numbers are right to be fair.

Real brought on a £90ish million sub though and Liverpool brought on two lads just back from injury who cost £30 between them.

Real had the much stronger squad overall.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Calling for a ban is stupid, but Ramos has been a dislikeable chap for most of his career, master of the dark arts to coin a phrase.

And a ****ing legend of a player proper star quality. Check his trophy cabinet and let me know if he's a good footballer or not, then catch yourself on.

Who is calling for Ramos to be banned?

Or are the Non Liverpool fans making this up?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't know if my numbers are right to be fair.

Real brought on a £90ish million sub though and Liverpool brought on two lads just back from injury who cost £30 between them.

Real had the much stronger squad overall.

For sure, but since the claim was made about the starting 11s it doesn't really matter what came off the bench just for that point.

• mikeym wrote: »
    Who is calling for Ramos to be banned?

Or are the Non Liverpool fans making this up?

Read the thread

Read the thread

:D

I couldnt be bothered, Real Madrid won the match and banning Ramos isnt going to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It wasn't the game everyone expected. No end to end stuff, just pretty average fare. Disappointing match to watch as a neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ronaldo - 95 m

Modric - 35 m

kroos - 26 m

Marcelo - 6 m

Ramos - 27 m

Carvajal - N/A

Varane - circa 7 m

Isco - 30 m

Benzema - 35

Casemiro - 6 m

Navas - 30 m

I know most of these players have been with the team before prices really inflated 2/3 years ago but there are some extraordinary pieces of business, in hindsight. Even Ronaldo is a bargain, given what he has achieved and brought the club in value

And a ****ing legend of a player proper star quality. Check his trophy cabinet and let me know if he's a good footballer or not, then catch yourself on.

You obviously like him then. Faking that face 'injury' that got Mane his yellow card was cringe inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

You obviously like him then. Faking that face 'injury' that got Mane his yellow card was cringe inducing.

Football is gone well beyond pinpointing incidents like that. Every club in the world now has a player or players that do that week in week out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement