Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Roy Keane against Sergio Ramos would be nice .

I don’t think Roy would be giving Sergio the benefit of the doubt that so many naive souls on here are .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

To be fair it's the result I expected but feel for Liverpool the way the Salah went off. At no point did I feel Liverpool were going to win that game even when they had their expected pressure at the start, English teams a,ways start finals like that. They needed to score one or possibly two in the first 25 I felt to have a realistic chance of beating Real.

Main point of the night, how good is Modirc? Unbelievable. Head and shoulders above any midfielder in the world and i feel for work horses like Henderson and Milner trying to get near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At end of day best team won.

So can't Complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

blinding wrote: »
    Roy Keane against Sergio Ramos would be nice .

I don’t think Roy would be giving Sergio the benefit of the doubt that so many naive souls on here are .

Sure any strong captain would put in some sort of enforcement be it vocally or with the boot.

Henderson is an embarrassment to have as Liverpool captain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

AGC wrote: »
    Football is gone well beyond pinpointing incidents like that. Every club in the world now has a player or players that do that week in week out.

I feel i point him out to much, but ****ing Busquets :mad:

• AGC wrote: »
    Sure any strong captain would put in some sort of enforcement be it vocally or with the boot.

Henderson is an embarrassment to have as Liverpool captain.

Majority of modern teams are missing a player like Ramos

What I'd do for another Vidic, players who couldn't give two ****s and go for anything and are serial winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I see a lot of LFC fans tweeting this. Just totally ignoring the fact that VVD pushes Ramos straight into Karius :pac:

https://twitter.com/68Bor/status/1000484828662427648

So you’re saying Ramos didn’t shoulder Karius in the head 3 minutes before his blunder? Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

So you’re saying Ramos didn’t shoulder Karius in the head 3 minutes before his blunder? Cool.

I’m saying VVD pushes Ramos into Karius... because that’s clearly what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Majority of modern teams are missing a player like Ramos

What I'd do for another Vidic, players who couldn't give two ****s and go for anything and are serial winners

The thing about Ramos is most players wouldn’t even try to do half of the s**t he does because they know they’d get sent off. But if players even look at Ramos half wrong he’ll crumple into a ball and get them sent off.

The guy has had years of experience getting sent off and knows the fine line of making damaging tackles look innocuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

titan18 wrote: »
    Ramos didn't intend to injure him ffs. It was just an unfortunate landing. Intended to foul him definitely but not injure

how do you know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

justshane wrote: »
    To be fair it's the result I expected but feel for Liverpool the way the Salah went off. At no point did I feel Liverpool were going to win that game even when they had their expected pressure at the start, English teams a,ways start finals like that. They needed to score one or possibly two in the first 25 I felt to have a realistic chance of beating Real.

Main point of the night, how good is Modirc? Unbelievable. Head and shoulders above any midfielder in the world and i feel for work horses like Henderson and Milner trying to get near him.

It amazes me how his performance is not being talked about, obviously the goal and mistakes are big moments but my god what a performance. I think people that really understand how soccer is played appreciative it, the rest just regurgitate the sound bites

Defence and Goalkeeper needs an overhaul.

not really...back 4 didn't really do anything wrong tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ramos pulled salah to the flloor to stop him getting away from him, pretty standard foul that happens numerous times every single game.

If people honestly think that ramos deliberately threw salah down knowing he would dislocate or injur his shoulder and take him out of the game well then ramos should definitely take up ufc because hes a ****ing ninja!!

Give over ffs

Clareman wrote: »
    13 European cups, wow.

I didn't see all the match, turned on just before the first goal but it appeared to me that Madrid were the better team (just) and deserved the win, goalie was a muppet in fairness.

wouldn't worry too much about that they won 5 in a row starting from 1955. but anyways, i can see a decline from the spanish teams now..luck graced them their best opponent player off and 2 of the flukiest keeper errors you'll see... Bales goal was amazing but they wont win it next year...

i'd say the PL teams will have a monopoly on it for a few years to come.. will be surprised if Liverpool are not there or there about's a couple of more times in next 5 years or so....prob playing city in the final at least once...

Pretty poor that none of the Liverpool players went to Karius when he was on the ground crying. Especially the captain should be there and pick him up.

in fairness we didn't see all the video.. I'm sure someone consoled him after they consoled themselves..

• Advertisement

He's unreal

He was holding off two players pressing him all night

yup was a total different player once Salah went off.. actually the whole back 5 were, but that's the game

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Devastated, but what a journey.

It's a good time to be a Liverpool fan

you are totally correct.

Us as football fans spend hours of our time over the season watching games. The entertainment I received from watching Liverpool this season was unreal..Imagine watching ****e,drab football each week.
    Some real cracker performances but always entertainment.

Pity we didn't win tonight, would have been nice to grab number 6 but sure what can you do. I was totally entertained as a fan over the CL season, the amount of goals scored was unreal..Have a good feeling that we'll be back on top soon...and sure if not i'll be enjoying the entertainment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

tastyt wrote:
    If people honestly think that ramos deliberately threw salah down knowing he would dislocate or injur his shoulder and take him out of the game well then ramos should definitely take up ufc because hes a ****ing ninja!!

I think he held onto his arm after they went to the ground hoping he'd do damage. Seemed very deliberate to me.

I'm not a Liverpool fan and you can check my posts over the last 11 years and you won't find many, if any, where I say anything like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Huge congrats to Real. Shame tonight's game was marred with the injury and dodgy goalkeeping but they just keep winning and you got to respect that.

Best European club side of all time imo. No shame in losing to them, and I think we know where the improvements need to be made (goalkeeper, centre back, depth along the front line). Great effort from Liverpool tonight in the circumstances.

Billy86 wrote: »
    (I don't see how both Mesis and Ronaldo can be anything but on the level of Pele & Maradona at this point, though that's a different matter I guess).

they will never be imo...Maradonna was so good, even back in the day when he hatched down nearly every game, battered, bruised and kicked every single game and probably hardly even got a free kick.....plus he single handily won the World Cup in 1986.

Messi or Ronaldo better than Maradonna... hahahahahhahaha...sorry i dont mean to laugh...

both great players...but not on Maradonna's level....

*ps.. pretty weird how Messi get's a free pass regarding this growth hormones..imagine Maradonna on them..

but anyway..... this is the ****in man...jeez

• Advertisement

Tonight had a proper passing of the torch feel from Ronaldo to Bale. Bale was the difference maker and ignored Ronaldo a few times when he could/should have played him in.

If he can stay fit I imagine he will be a big player for them in the coming years, as long as Ronaldo goes this summer.

Really ? seriously?

I see a lot of LFC fans tweeting this. Just totally ignoring the fact that VVD pushes Ramos straight into Karius :pac:

https://twitter.com/68Bor/status/1000484828662427648

oh sorry the weakest "push" of all time? you clutching bro..
    Ramos is a top class "rule breaker" *1 hardly a touch but go with it if you have to..I'm sure you not gonna throw up the behind goal angle that doesnt suit your petty argument / bait shít!

*1 i mean ****!

Tonight had a proper passing of the torch feel from Ronaldo to Bale. Bale was the difference maker and ignored Ronaldo a few times when he could/should have played him in.

If he can stay fit I imagine he will be a big player for them in the coming years, as long as Ronaldo goes this summer.

actually on further thought I'd like to see Bale at u nited .. dont think he has the chops for it though...

Modric was exceptional tonight
    A world class performance
    He still has considerable strength even if he is getting older
    He was so calm in possession, even with Liverpools helter-skelter approach

And the game was won with a Wonder goal

I'm happy with that

yup was a class act once Salah went off.. more space.. anonymous before that

You obviously like him then. Faking that face 'injury' that got Mane his yellow card was cringe inducing.

ref did a motion with his hands like mane swiped him with the foot but actually only nudged him..meh Ramos gets them most of the time

AGC wrote: »
    Football is gone well beyond pinpointing incidents like that. Every club in the world now has a player or players that do that week in week out.

Madrid have the most i'd say....or most Spanish teams in general

At end of day best team won.

So can't Complain

correct..

T

Oh was Modric on the pitch for the first half ? Gimme a break....was nowhere to be seen until Salah was out of the game.. him and Kroos totally by passed..dodnt even touch the ball.... this faux **** is unreal..he was walking on egg shells until Salah went off.. A good bit of luck for Madrid... Salah injury...two absolute gifts of goals and a wonder strike..Ronaldo didnt even get a kick off the ball.. gimme a break..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bale is off. He's fed up with the club and wants to return to England.

He wont stay as long as Zidane is in charge......and they won tonight so Zidane will keep his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

tastyt wrote: »
    Ramos pulled salah to the flloor to stop him getting away from him, pretty standard foul that happens numerous times every single game.

Give over ffs

It's Sergio Ramos. Of course he meant it. He's not an idiot.

Probably didn't know he'd injure him so badly (that is just down to luck or bad luck) but he definitely meant to try and hurt him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Kirby wrote: »
    Bale is off. He's fed up with the club and wants to return to England.

He wont stay as long as Zidane is in charge......and they won tonight so Zidane will keep his job.

As I said, it depends on Ronaldo I think.

If he goes more game time, if not less and he will be off.

I don't think he's fed up, I think he just wants to play more and why would he want to leave if that becomes a reality?

He has been invited a lot, his comment tonight post match is getting a bit blown out of proportion really. He said he would have liked to start, felt he deserved to start (based on his last couple of games I'd imagine) but that the manager makes the decisions and players just get on with it. He spoke about how he want d to make an impact, the best thing to do to get a place is to an an impact and he is happy he could do that. That football isn't just a first xi game anymore the whole squad is important etc

Bales future depends on Ronaldo imo I don't think both will be there next season but that one will.

This is my feeling tonight having watched that game. May of course revisit and reevaluate as obviously you can include both in your team no problem. I just don't see it. Bale can want to play more but he has competition and he has his injury's against him. If he can get that behind him he's an asset to any team in the world

Edit... apologies for some typos, on the phone and I ain't going back to fix them now :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Delighted Madrid won, Liverpool should never have been in the final to begin with, dodgy referring in the man city and roma games were the only reason they made it there. Great to see karma bite them in the arse. Brilliant goal by Bale, one of the best I have ever seen. Congrats to Madrid, worthy winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Klopp “Klopps” another final, fantastic man

Surely Ronnie C goes down as the greatest in history, another Balon D’or looms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

mada999 wrote: »
    Oh was Modric on the pitch for the first half ? Gimme a break....was nowhere to be seen until Salah was out of the game.. him and Kroos totally by passed..dodnt even touch the ball.... this faux **** is unreal..he was walking on egg shells until Salah went off.. A good bit of luck for Madrid... Salah injury...two absolute gifts of goals and a wonder strike..Ronaldo didnt even get a kick off the ball.. gimme a break..

You ok hun, youve gone on a bit of a rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Probably didn't know he'd injure him so badly (that is just down to luck or bad luck) but he definitely meant to try and hurt him.

He’s a dirty dirty player. Sent off 24 times in his career.
    H

T

That is pure quality, sums up the deluded section of Liverpool supporters right there.
    If only Salah didn’t get injured then Liverpool would win the World Cup as well

T

That is pure quality, sums up the deluded section of Liverpool supporters right there.
    If only Salah didn’t get injured then Liverpool would win the World Cup as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

oh sorry the weakest "push" of all time? you clutching bro..
    Ramos is a top class "rule breaker" *1 hardly a touch but go with it if you have to..I'm sure you not gonna throw up the behind goal angle that doesnt suit your petty argument / bait shít!

*1 i mean ****!

The bang of “trying not to snap” off your posts :pac:

It was Sergio Ramos Folks .

Its the Scorpion and the Fox Story except Ramos didn’t drown ( again )

https://whatsthepont.com/2011/10/26/the-scorpion-and-the-fox/

Occasionally he does but...... C’est La Vie !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As I've said, I think Ramos is the best CB in the world.

But I'm a bit disturbed by some of the positive adjectives used about him, here and elsewhere. Particularly in relation to the elbow to the head. And it includes some prominent journalists too.

'Ruthless'
    'He'll do anything'
    'Belligerent'
    'No nonsense'

Fúck off. He's just a filthy, filthy player who either gets away with it on the day, or doesn't.

I'm not really comfortable with celebrating classlessness.

Blazer wrote: »
    He’s a dirty dirty player. Sent off 24 times in his career.
    H
    And it just happens to be Saint Ramos that does the type of tackle that has the potential to hurt Salah;);)

Anyone on here interested in Pyramid / Ponzi schemes .:eek:

You can be a good player and a dirty nasty piece of work .

One does not rule out the other .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Patww79 wrote: »
    The club could put that on their crest at this stage.

Aaaaaaand.....*unfollows*

Sure ain't we only the worst pricks in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Corholio wrote: »
    Must be the first hatchet job in history by pulling down someone instead of an actual tackle.
    He knew exactly what he was doing and his raison d’etre was to take out Salah from the beginning. Liverpool folded after that. The Plan worked perfectly for Ramos and Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

As I said, it depends on Ronaldo I think.

If he goes more game time, if not less and he will be off.

I don't think he's fed up, I think he just wants to play more and why would he want to leave if that becomes a reality?

He has been invited a lot, his comment tonight post match is getting a bit blown out of proportion really. He said he would have liked to start, felt he deserved to start (based on his last couple of games I'd imagine) but that the manager makes the decisions and players just get on with it. He spoke about how he want d to make an impact, the best thing to do to get a place is to an an impact and he is happy he could do that. That football isn't just a first xi game anymore the whole squad is important etc

Bales future depends on Ronaldo imo I don't think both will be there next season but that one will.

This is my feeling tonight having watched that game. May of course revisit and reevaluate as obviously you can include both in your team no problem. I just don't see it. Bale can want to play more but he has competition and he has his injury's against him. If he can get that behind him he's an asset to any team in the world

Edit... apologies for some typos, on the phone and I ain't going back to fix them now :)

You may be right but you are underplaying or didn’t hear fully what he said post match.

He said that he is too good not to be playing all the tine, has pretty much been fully fit since Christmas and is fed up not being picked.

Most tellingly he said he will sit down with his agent in the summer to discuss his future. Not his manager. Not his club. His agent.

If Ronaldo leaves he may end up staying but it couldn’t be clearer that he’s looking for a move and inviting enquiries. I’d be surprised at Madrid next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He knew exactly what he was doing and his raison d’etre was to take out Salah from the beginning. Liverpool folded after that. The Plan worked perfectly for Ramos and Real.

Don't think we folded. We showed serious nerve to equalise so quickly after going 1-0 down having lost Mo, and we were still competing until Karius' 2nd howler killed us.

But whatever you reckon yourself as a neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair result, many might disagree with me but Liverpool had an easy route to the final, in the final they were majorly outclassed by a team of galacticos. If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be extremely proud of the teams achievement this season, klopp is making them a big team again although he should quit the crying about the foul it's embarrassing!

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It was a compliment from Ramos . Salah with Liverpool were enough of a threat for Ramos to do what he does if he feels its necessary .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Oranage2 wrote:
    Fair result, many might disagree with me but Liverpool had an easy route to the final, in the final they were majorly outclassed by a team of galacticos. If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be extremely proud of the teams achievement this season, klopp is making them a big team again although he should quit the crying about the foul it's embarrassing!

When Salah went off it was massive, he's been the best performer in the team by a distance.
    After that fans went quiet, team clearly lost confidence & the front 3 have no real replacements in the squad. I don't think Ramos said I'm doing him but he was fouling him right in front of the ref who didn't call a foul.
    As for being majorly outclassed the game ended 3-1 with 2 of the biggest mistakes you'll see in a major final.
    Madrid deserved the win but didn't exactly outclass Liverpool. Their key player other than Bale was probably Karius. :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement