Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Can't understand all the whinging about Ramos fairly innocuous challenge, considering the way souness,Smith and Case used to dish it out. Salah is a fantastic player but it's a team game. You cannot be depending on one man to make the whole thing tick.

Ridiculous to use a challenge made 30 years as a comparison to a challenge last night. Different era. Its a non contact sport now not an octagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ramos' aim was to foul and hurt.

You can get into semantics and ask whether he went to injure him. We'll never know.

What we do know is no due care was given to Salah by a fellow professional. Ramos was so busy fouling, he (at best) didn't even think about how Salah would land.

Impossible to retrospectively punish as none of us will ever know the extent of what he meant.

Don't see any evidence at all his aim was to hurt, their arms are tangled, and before ramos pulls him down salah is actually holding ramos's bicep, trying to control ramos position. Its perfectly natural to pull back in that situation, and defenders haul down attackers in that manner all the time with no dire physical consequences...intentional foul, but feel that if you are going to try and hurt someone, there are a lot of other ways that have a higher chance of success (not that I would condone any of them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You can get into semantics and ask whether he went to injure him. We'll never know.

What we do know is no due care was given to Salah by a fellow professional. Ramos was so busy fouling, he (at best) didn't even think about how Salah would land.

Impossible to retrospectively punish as none of us will ever know the extent of what he meant.

So your ignoring where Salah actually linked his arm to get in front of Ramos? This kind of tangles happen every day in sport. If Ramos ment to “do” Salah there he could have a career in the UFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ridiculous to use a challenge made 30 years as a comparison to a challenge last night. Different era. Its a non contact sport now not an octagon

Correct,

Tackes like that were common place back then. Gerrard is a better example of recent times,when he got the red v. Utd.

Keane a bit before that again.

Some stats here...haven't read them all or verified them....just thought they were interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/1000495884625424384

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

How about carragher, gerrard and suarez of late? Bet you were cheering them on when they were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

MrMac84 wrote: »
    But the thing about Madrid is even if they had matched them in that element they have so much quality all over the pitch that it’s hard to stop them. Last night
    Ronaldo
    Isco
    Kross were all fairly quiet. But Modric Bale and Benzima turn up.
    If you play them again next week and focus on the later 3 then the first 3 will hurt you. Not many clubs have that much fire power
    I think Bayern Munich would have beat them if they matched their cynicism.

How about carragher, gerrard and suarez of late? Bet you were cheering them on when they were at it.

You have obviously not watched much of Ramos if you really think he is comparable. You should check out Ramos videos on youtube. The guy is a nutjob and puts Joey Barton to shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think Bayern Munich would have beat them if they matched their cynicism.

Perhaps... Maybe Barca too but I struggle to think of any other team currently including City that could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I've not been on this thread that much since the game finished, and I'm not going to trawl back through God knows how many pages since FT last night, so forgive my question; are people seriously calling for Ramos to be retrospectively punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

blueser wrote: »
    I've not been on this thread that much since the game finished, and I'm not going to trawl back through God knows how many pages since FT last night, so forgive my question; are people seriously calling for Ramos to be retrospectively punished?

Yes banned from the World Cup even

lol

lol

https://talksport.com/football/mohamed-salah-petition-punish-sergio-ramos--hurting-liverpool-star-injured-champions-league-final

To be honest I havent seen any posts looking for him to be banned. What he did was disgusting but impossible to prove intent to injure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We are going to hear weeks of whinging about Ramos when the simple fact, clear as day on all videos of the incident, is that Salah had hold of Ramos arm first.

Ramos did **** all wrong, arms got tangled, the players fell and in the process Salah fell awkwardly. Thats all it was, **** happens and conspiracy theories have never made anybody look smarter.

Esse85 wrote: »
    That cynical behavior reminded me of the way Brian O'Driscoll was targeted by New Zealand on the lions tour.

Ramos should be banned from the world cup now.

Don't be daft. Banned from the World Cup. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

They are. Don't think one of them has ever kicked a ball in their life, calling it disgusting is disgusting.

We are going to hear weeks of whinging about Ramos when the simple fact, clear as day on all videos of the incident, is that Salah had hold of Ramos arm first.

Ramos did **** all wrong, arms got tangled, the players fell and in the process Salah fell awkwardly. Thats all it was, **** happens and conspiracy theories have never made anybody look smarter.

While I dont think Ramos did try to injure him. I do think Ramos targeted him and wanted to hurt him. He went in for a few nasty challenges before that one. I also doubt he had much sympathy for him when he almost broke Salah arm though. He is a nasty player. He learnt everything from Pepe.

Liamalone wrote: »
    They are. Don't think one of them has ever kicked a ball in their life, calling it disgusting is disgusting.

Calling it disgusting for them calling it disgusting is disgusting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

To be honest I havent seen any posts looking for him to be banned. What he did was disgusting but impossible to prove intent to injure

They have been there though whether you've seen them or not I can assure you.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

They have been there though whether you've seen them or not I can assure you.

I believe you. I just said I havent seen any meaning if there were people posting it, it was probably just in the heat of the moment. I called Ramos the S word. The heat of the moment people lash out. I doubt anyone who has calmed down really thinks he should be banned for that challenge. You cant prove intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Suppose this was fair as well. Was 0-0.

Clear red card.

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1000507362531258369

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liamalone wrote: »

Calling it disgusting for them calling it disgusting is disgusting :D

Disgust-ception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

MD1990 wrote: »

Clear red card.

I'd need to see that from another angle.

In that one it just looks like Karius stood on Ramos' toe and touch his elbow with his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Speaking as a fan of another club, no not either of those fookers over the road, I was disappointed how it went for Liverpool.
    To see that diving odious ar**hole Ramos and the prancing preening Ronaldo pick up yet another CL medal after how they limped their way to the final is hard to take. Being a fan of Juve and Atleti maybe part of it of course.
    Fair enough if a player dishes it out, but have the decency not to roll round like you are shot when touched as Ramos always does in an effort to get other players booked or sent off.

I do think that Liverpool lost a huge amount of confidence once Salah was off and as they went into their shells a little Real grew in confidence.
    I know Liverpool fans love Klopp and I actually wanted him as manager of the club I support, but there is a worrying trend appearing with him.
    He almost has a Mayo thing going with him at this stage where he can lead teams to finals but for some reason they always come up short.
    And yes part of that is bad luck as well., but he doesn't seem to have that bit of luck when needed.

He is also beginning to exhibit some of the stubborn traits of Wenger where everyone can see issues with areas of the team, but yet he is not doing anything about it.
    And of course I am talking about goalkeeper, but Moreno was another.
    The mistakes last night are something we teach the u10s not to make.
    But these were made by a professional keeper in one of the biggest teams in one of the biggest leagues in the world.
    Lots of people are feeling sorry for Karius, but i feel sorry for Mignolet because what must it say to him if the manager thinks he is second to a guy that makes those types of mistakes.
    He should have bought a keeper last year and maybe he would be CL champions today.

Also have to say I think Lovren was excellent.
    His public perception was on show when RTE commentator mistakingly thought his last ditch well timed tackle was van D.
    His committed header in the box made the Liverpool goal as well.

Real exhibited one touch of class, but really were not that much better than Liverpool and this is a Liverpool with a poor enough midfield.
    I guess it is a whole series of what ifs.

I suppose the only consolation is that I can't see Real winning next year and a lot of the core of that team are going over the hill.
    Hell they might even part company with Zidane.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That's farcical. Yes; Ramos fouled Salah. Did he intend to foul him? Of course he did; he's no choirboy. Did he intend to cause such serious injury? Only he can answer that. Can it be proved that he intended to seriously injure Salah? Almost impossible, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

salah linked arms first and was pulling out of ramos. ramos then pulled him down. it was an intentional foul but no intention to hurt. you could do that thousands of times and never injure the oponant

what kind of baby is salah though. its a minor injury. he could have played on a bit to see how it was. these players are too soft. genaro gatuso got gicked in the head and split open while playing a big game for ac milan . they wraped him up and wiped off all the blood . he played on and dominated midfield

what beat liverpool is their poor squad. they had several players out injured before the match. their bench is rubbish. they are cast offs and players that couldnt make the first team. once salah went off they had nobody to bring on that could do anything

look at madrids bench. their bench could make the first team and the rest of the squad would be well able to make the bench .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Last six losing CL managers:

Klopp Allegri Simeone Allegri Simeone Klopp

I'd need to see that from another angle.

In that one it just looks like Karius stood on Ramos' toe and touch his elbow with his face.

Pathetic attempt from you to make out that was innocent from Ramos.

salah linked arms first and was pulling out of ramos. ramos then pulled him down. it was an intentional foul but no intention to hurt. you could do that thousands of times and never injure the oponant

what kind of baby is salah though. its a minor injury. he could have played on a bit to see how it was. these players are too soft. genaro gatuso got gicked in the head and split open while playing a big game for ac milan . they wraped him up and wiped off all the blood . he played on and dominated midfield

what beat liverpool is their poor squad. they had several players out injured before the match. their bench is rubbish. they are cast offs and players that couldnt make the first team. once salah went off they had nobody to bring on that could do anything

look at madrids bench. their bench could make the first team and the rest of the squad would be well able to make the bench .

He did play on for a bit what are you on about?? He played on but had to come off because it was more than an impact injury. He probably pulled a tendon

Clear red card.

Start that clip a second earlier and you will notice VVD pushing Ramos towards Karius.

Don't let facts get in the way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

what kind of baby is salah though. its a minor injury. he could have played on a bit to see how it was.

A dislocated shoulder ,a minor injury :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

He did, were you not watching the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pathetic attempt from you to make out that was innocent from Ramos.

VVD clearly shoves Ramos into Karius from that angle. Is there another angle to show?
    The push is purposely cropped out of the one you linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

VVD clearly shoves Ramos into Karius from that angle. Is there another angle to show?

Shhhh you

Ramos lifted his elbow into Karius head.

He does this nearly every game.

The push is cropped out of the link you put up. Disingenuous video editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A dislocated shoulder ,a minor injury :rolleyes:

Don’t think he dislocated his shoulder? He could rotate his shoulder after the injury which would indicate an impact injury or injury to the collarbone rather than a dislocation?

Either way it was obvious he couldn’t continue. He tried to play on for a few minutes afterwards probably knowing he was gooosed and was devastated to come off.

Kolido wrote: »
    He did, were you not watching the game.

only payed on for a few minutes.
    pop it back in and tape it up.

he is their best and only great player. easily 3 times better than the guy replacing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

what kind of baby is salah though. its a minor injury. he could have played on a bit to see how it was. .

He did play on for 5 or so minutes? How do you know it was a minor injuries? He went to the hospital from the stadium with a suspected broken collarbone or damaged shoulder.

Did you call Ronaldo a baby when he was injured early in the final for Portugal? Or Carvajal when he went off last night?

Maybe they knew their nights were over and for Salah and Carvajal quite possibly their World Cups as well.

• Advertisement

The push is cropped out of the link you put up. Disingenuous video editing.

Already said what Ramos.

No point in wasting my time arguing with you anyway or some other posters anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mane tried his best break his legs few times. But failed badly.

Get over it

Better team won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is anyone actually defending Ramos reputation though and his antics on the pitch?

That also doesn’t follow though that every incident he is involved in is some form of “darks arts” or a malicious foul, or a foul that you wouldn’t see dozens of times by other players on other matches.

The incident with Salah is being blown out of all proportion and I’m quite surprised about it.

Just because Salah ended up with a bad injury and couldn’t continue doesn’t mean Ramos tried to “do him”

Fairly innocuous. I am surprised so much time is being spent on it. Sure Salah having to come off is a huge talking point on how it effected the game but the incident itself was fairly innocuous.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He did play on for 5 or so minutes? How do you know it was a minor injuries? He went to the hospital from the stadium with a suspected broken collarbone or damaged shoulder.

Did you call Ronaldo a baby when he was injured early in the final for Portugal? Or Carvajal when he went off last night?

Maybe they knew their nights were over and for Salah and Carvajal quite possibly their World Cups as well.

its only his shoulder. he doesnt need it to be 100%.

the diference is that carvajal is a good player in a great team. the next guy could easily take his place nd have very little effect on the team. salah is a huge player for liverpool.

Already said what Ramos.

No point in wasting my time arguing with you anyway or some other posters anyway.

Suit yourself. Go off and find a load of lads that agree with you and sit there whinging about it all day for all I care. No point in posting it here if you don’t want it challenged.

Clear red card.

You keep showing that and keep ignoring van dyke push him into Karius, it's great. Ramos even appeals for a penalty :)

That one has a tighter run time on the incident though cutting out most of the push so I suppose your getting a bit better at it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Is anyone actually defending Ramos reputation though and his antics on the pitch?

That also doesn’t follow though that every incident he is involved in is some form of “darks arts” or a malicious foul, or a foul that you wouldn’t see dozens of times by other players on other matches.

The incident with Salah is being blown out of all proportion and I’m quite surprised about it.

Just because Salah ended up with a bad injury and couldn’t continue doesn’t mean Ramos tried to “do him”

Fairly innocuous. I am surprised so much time is being spent on it. Sure Salah having to come off is a huge talking point on how it effected the game but the incident itself was fairly innocuous.
    If it was another player they would probably get the benefit of doubt if it was Modric or Varane for example.

But Ramos could easily have let go of Salah but he wanted to try his luck. It payed off for him.

The Karius elbow is clear Ramos does this in many games so anyone defending that I see not point in arguing with them. Was 0-0 at the time as well should have been red.

Of course this doesn't suit certain people's agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

its only his shoulder. he doesnt need it to be 100%.

You haven't a clue.

You keep showing that and keep ignoring van dyke push him into Karius, it's great. Ramos even appeals for a penalty :)

That one has a tighter run time on the incident though cutting out most of the push so I suppose your getting a bit better at it.

Van Dijk lifted Ramos elbow into Karius head too yeah?

No he didn't. I rest my case.

Salah tried to play on, anybody having a go at him for having to come off isn't worth debating tbh.

Terrible luck for him to miss the majority of the game in such an incredible season for him and now possibly the world cup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

adox wrote: »

Gibberish, there was nothing innocuous about it. If you actually believe that you're in denial.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement